Dash Knob Refurbish-How To (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While you are cleaning up the dash here is how I cleaned up old indicator lights.
A piece of rag in a cordless drill to polish the centers. Be careful not to let the chuck hit the chrome.
P.S. same disclaimer as OP.
HPIM1380.jpg

So thats how it feels to be a dentist! Great idea, thanks. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas how to bring back the steering wheel?

Does anyone have and idea on where I can get a new (green and lighted) FD switch? If not a good replacement. Thanks

trick i figured out is i'm using simple green for the rubbing, but also putting a little comet on the towel as well. cut the time down alot.

Comet is an abrasive material, FYI. So the pros/cons go with it cutting down dirt/filth/grim but also finish/polish/paint etc.

Reminds me of the previous owner of my FJ telling me he washes it in Soft Scrub and other household cleaners they had on hand.

Very nice thread.
I was just thinking of how to do refresh on the knobs this winter as some of them completely lost the color.

Problem I've had with the slather method is that some knobs have a textured finish to them. SLathering pain just fills in the texture and makes for a very hard clean. Best method I have found is using the ultra fine paint pens and cutting the tip down to just a hair. This way I can fill in the letters without the paint going everywhere and can control the depth of the paint.

Also some knobs are very faded and pitted. I buff all those at low speed with a plastic polish to get the surface back as close to the original color. Then I clean the knob and paint the letters.

What paint pen have you used? I check with Lowes, HomeDepot, but they don't have a clue what is this, they only have brushes.

I did the knobs on my last FJ build, and they turned out amazing..a fellow cruiserhead called me a liar when I told him they were the old ones.

AlexJet said:
Very nice thread.
I was just thinking of how to do refresh on the knobs this winter as some of them completely lost the color.

What paint pen have you used? I check with Lowes, HomeDepot, but they don't have a clue what is this, they only have brushes.

I went to Michael's and bought Sharpie paint pens with the ultra fine tip, worked great

77mustard40 said:
I went to Michael's and bought Sharpie paint pens with the ultra fine tip, worked great

Interesting approach, never thought of Sharpie Marker.
Are they available in White? My Staples have Red, Blue, Green and Black. Would White-Out work?

I bought mine on Amazon..I just had them shipped. Make sure you get the fine point PAINT marker.

i followed the directions exactly and they came out great!!! i used a sharpie paint marker from michaels, let it dry all night and cleaned it up the edges with water today. simple green was great!
IMG_2628.jpg
IMG_2631.jpg
IMG_2646.jpg

Has anyone found anything to make the dash knobs "shiny black" like a new one? After we cleaned the pull knobs from our FJ40, the knobs are now a satin finish at best as the knobs are a little porous after 40 years.

Some friends mentioned soaking them in silicone or some type of Armor-All or painting them with a black paint such as Krylon's Fusion.

'Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom