Cylinder markings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I take that back, given the condition of spark plug tips and cyl walls and the similarities of marks IMO it is a manuf. marking.

Tongue in check @peesalot ? So I need to find someone who can read Japanese writing to see what’s on each cylinder 😂.

What I really need to find is the PO that this happened to so we can get the real story!

in the 2 engines that I've taken apart with damage,
the bottom of the head looks similar to the top of the piston, dings and dents, as the broke valve bangs around inside the chamber.
it was only in 1 cylinder not all 6, and all over the top of the piston. it is odd that the marks in the OP's piston seem to be in a circular pattern, not in the center of the piston.
I haven't looked at the other pics.

@middlecalf is there an issue with the engine currently?
if not and with the compression #'s you posted, I'd keep running it as is, no need to tear it down

As long as we’re guessing. Could it be possible that some wrong, long reach spark plugs got installed by mistake and on the attempted startup, pieces broke off and did the damage before the cranking could be stopped? Then a magnet retrieved the debri?

I'd keep running it as is, no need to tear it down
I often get accused of over thinking things, that’s probably why I went into engineering. But we also learned that at some point you have to do what you know you have to do (the _____ or get off the pot thing 😂).

As suggested I’m going to run it (use it for ranch work) for now, feed it oil as needed and see how the summer work progresses. This is a utility rig.

I did get this out of Nevada, who knows where it’s been, but I know the PO is out there 😈. Come on, you know who you are. How many rigs have ancient hieroglyphics written on all six of their piston heads? Don’t be shy, we won’t ridicule you (too much 😂).

Thanks to all who posted, I’ve learned a lot and appreciate the thoughts and ideas, and guesses, all good! :clap:

I did get this out of Nevada, who knows where it’s been, but I know the PO is out there 😈. Come on, you know who you are. How many rigs have ancient hieroglyphics written on all six of their piston heads? Don’t be shy, we won’t ridicule you (too much 😂).

Thanks to all who posted, I’ve learned a lot and appreciate the thoughts and ideas, and guesses, all good! :clap:
Good choice to drive it and keep feeding it oil. I feed mine oil for several years until the blow-by was filling the cab so bad I could see it rolling back out the windows and the dog would look at me like WTF is going on!! So just keep feeding it oil they will run with a hole or two in the pistons even !!

If a head job was done and someone forgot the keepers? That might explain the valve impressions on each piston face. The checkerboard is because they used a waffle-faced hammer during engine assembly to seat the pistons/rings.

I think it was Jim C. that said F engines are too stupid to die.

The hammer theory might be a good one @numby, those indents kind of look like my hammering nails into wood. Had a conversation this morning about the old timers around here who would pull the head on tractors that had been sitting unused for years and would beat the cylinders with things like ax handles to free them up. So maybe something like this was used, it could create all those indentations 😂.
980F57C2-65C8-4052-B357-B882CEE90AC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Or … (to keep this tech 👿) …

A redneck way to reduce cylinder compression- aka dish head piston. Rather, beat-to-crap head piston.

They actually machine those “indents” is the pistons on British cars (MGs, Rovers) 😂.
7188C73A-8C1A-4A05-A735-7B3C2A333593.png

Or … (to keep this tech 👿) …

A redneck way to reduce cylinder compression- aka dish head piston. Rather, beat-to-crap head piston.
Hard to believe anyone would go through all that trouble to actually lower an F engine's compression.

Well this rig does have a dual carb offenhauser manifold with Carter carbs @Pighead so maybe the PO thought that was equivalent to “boost” and wanted to lower the comp for engine preservation. 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully this is obviously all (mostly) tongue in cheek 😆.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom