Custom Mounting Bracket for Backup Camera on Slee Rear Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chris FJ80

SILVER Star
Threads
For a few years now I have had my backup camera mounted inside the CB antenna bracket on my Slee rear bumper. While it has been a secure location, I've had two major issues. First, the right side of the video frame has been dominated by the bumper catch handle (not a showstopper, but it takes up 25% of the viewing area). Second, with the antenna bracket on the driver's side of center, the camera has always been a foot+ off center, making it tricky to back up straight when precision is important.

This weekend I finally got far enough down my to-do list to get after this project...

I'll need to break into multiple posts so I can get all the pictures uploaded.

First step was to machine a frame to attach to the bumper. I used 1"x1" aluminum stock. My bumper measures 3.03" and I left ~0.25" on each side and ~0.25" on top. The edges of the bumper are rounded. The holes drilled are for attaching the frame to the bumper and the camera support to the frame.

1a.jpg
1b.jpg
1c.jpg

Next step was to make the support for the camera. I bought the camera on Amazon several years ago. It is about 1 inch cubed and has a small swivel bracket at the top. The holes on the swivel bracket are tapped to 2.5mm x 0.45 thread pitch. The camera has its cable exiting from the rear, hence the need for the slot. After messing around on the mill to get the fit right, I tapped the tiny holes for the swivel bracket bolts. (Had to order the tap since I did not have one this small.)

2a.jpg
2b.jpg
2c.jpg

Next step was to tap the #6-32 holes to join the two pieces and join them together

3a.jpg
3b.jpg
3c.jpg
3d.jpg
3e.jpg

After this it was into powder coating with a Easton "Black Primer" powder...

4a.jpg
4b.jpg
4c.jpg
4d.jpg

Next step was to drill the hole and tap for the mounting bolt to the bumper. I wanted to use a standard Toyota bolt size (used 6mm diameter bolt / 10mm socket size). I wanted to get it as close to center as possible without making an overcomplicated bracket, so settled for just a little off center. All I had in this tap size was a carbon steel plug tap, but it worked fine. I think I used a #9 drill bit

5a.jpg
5b.jpg
5c.jpg

Some shots of the final product. I'm really happy with it. No more obstruction by the handle and it is close enough to center that I can back up into a narrow area without a ground guide.

6a.jpg
6b.jpg
6c.jpg
6d.jpg
6e.jpg

Can't remember and can't find it on my amazon order history. It was an inexpensive unit. It works fine but not high resolution

That looks great. I have the same issue right now but lack the skills you have or the milling equipment. You would not be in a mood to make another one would you?

Making anymore mounts.. Have a slee rear and still wondering where to install the camera.

That looks great. I have the same issue right now but lack the skills you have or the milling equipment. You would not be in a mood to make another one would you?
I'd be willing to make the bottom part (The piece that attaches to the bumper.) but the upright piece was custom to my camera and a PITA to get right. PM me if you want the bottom piece.

Making anymore mounts.. Have a slee rear and still wondering where to install the camera.
I'd be willing to make the bottom part (The piece that attaches to the bumper.) but the upright piece was custom to my camera and a PITA to get right. PM me if you want the bottom piece

with the size of cameras now, drill the 3/4 hole and put a flush unit in the arm, or in the center of the bumper above the tow hitch.

Amazon.com: Gino 1/4" CCD Flush Mount Backup Rear View Camera: Car Electronics

The product description on that page is hilarious,

"Due to product batch is different, the hole saw color may be different, we will random shipment.Flush mount, metal housing camera.High definition, 170 degree viewing angle.Mount the camera at the back of the car(on the bumper, or other suitable place).When you parking the car, this camera will show the image behind the car, and is there anybody behind the car, avoid people crush and some obstacles, this camera will also show the driver whether parking on line.Applicable to variety of Vehicles: car, truck, RV, mini-van etc."

Is anyone running a flush mount that is HD & IR?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom