Builds Cummins 6bt/nv4500 build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got around to installing the Bilstein 7100s in the rear. Used the same adapter for the top mounts as I did the front. For the bottom bushing I reamed the hole to 3/4” to fit on the shaft. Here’s the only crappy photo I have. I’ll take more later as I want to mount the reservoir on the cross member but they are good to go for now.
The rear OEM shocks weren’t as bad as the fronts but definitely needed replacing.
View attachment 1696230
What part numbers did you use for the 7100's?

What part numbers did you use for the 7100's?
I probably could have gone 12” but didn’t want to chance it with not knowing what adapters I would need.
503FB937-A6BC-41AC-AA61-02A0D1E58A68.jpeg

Another option is to cut the eye ends off and weld on stems. This is what our engineer at work wanted to do on the rears but since I accounted for adapters when ordering we didn’t.

I’m back up to par now with the luxurious feature of power locks! Since pulling out the alarm brains over four years ago I have been manual locks only. I must have had a Friday afternoon install of the port installed factory alarm. It was part spade connectors, splices and actual jumper harness. I had to pull everything under the steering column to remove it. Pulled the complete alarm wiring out along with splicing wires back together. Also pulled out two more worthless modules, cruise and ABS, while I was in there.
AF429504-EB59-44BA-B856-C557B49BC604.jpeg

2BD4F6B7-5257-48F6-8457-19FD4C47CC3F.jpeg

The two white connectors behind the ignition were the reason I had to pull the dash. Once the two white connectors are pulled you then plug in the the two factory connectors back together. Alarm at that point is completely removed from the harness.
49EB1E71-D19E-42CF-956C-8978F018C671.jpeg

Alarm harness removed.
1C3CAE82-45C3-4BDC-90E6-29E54BD5F58D.jpeg

Took delivery of this beauty :rofl: on Friday. It’s was previously a 1998 HZJ75 ex Canadian mine truck. It’s been around the block a few times and when it got to me it was just the cab and frame with hydraulic axles and steering. Perfect for me to put on my spare 80’s locked chassis. I will also mirror the exact Cummins 6BT drivetrain I have in the 80. I want to get it running first then move on to replacing and fixing panels. I’ll be hopefully learning a lot from this build. Never done anything close to this magnitude.
694695C7-B888-4E84-9DAE-A174A3BC0B62.jpeg
FDA6C0FC-E74C-491E-837E-88CC00DA3482.jpeg

Took delivery of this beauty :rofl: on Friday. It’s was previously a 1998 HZJ75 ex Canadian mine truck. It’s been around the block a few times and when it got to me it was just the cab and frame with hydraulic axles and steering. Perfect for me to put on my spare 80’s locked chassis. I will also mirror the exact Cummins 6BT drivetrain I have in the 80. I want to get it running first then move on to replacing and fixing panels. I’ll be hopefully learning a lot from this build. Never done anything close to this magnitude. View attachment 1710507 View attachment 1710508

Gahhh! Lucky. I've been trying to get an UG truck here locally myself. I've seen em, but still working at finding a way to buy one. Seems like they usually scrap them. Can't wait to see what you do.

IMG_1554.jpg

Yeah they are hard to find and you can't be picky wanting to buy on a budget. I think I spend the last 6 months chasing dead leads. This one should probably be in the scrap yard but I see potential. It may be little Mad Max looking in the end but it will be mechanically sound. I've never been much for looks any way. It will definitely be mean looking and sounding.
I will probably start a build thread in the diesel section since I'm sure the 70 section will shun me for wanting to install a 6BT.

Took delivery of this beauty :rofl: on Friday. It’s was previously a 1998 HZJ75 ex Canadian mine truck. It’s been around the block a few times and when it got to me it was just the cab and frame with hydraulic axles and steering. Perfect for me to put on my spare 80’s locked chassis. I will also mirror the exact Cummins 6BT drivetrain I have in the 80. I want to get it running first then move on to replacing and fixing panels. I’ll be hopefully learning a lot from this build. Never done anything close to this magnitude. View attachment 1710507 View attachment 1710508
How did it rust so much in Texas?

Yup. Very abused. Luckily the cab/cowl has mostly dents and a few places that I will need to fix some cracks. Took the doors off and one hinge needs attention. Top is not rusted but winshield frame is toast. It will need replacing but it bolts on like a 40.
Today I got top, winshield frame, doors, and dash off. I want to have the cab off the frame by next weekend so I can then concentrate on removing the LX body.
32216A6B-FF00-4258-81DD-A94A89B6CA5D.jpeg

Whats the deal on those axles? Doesn't look like a LC axle.

Yup. Very abused. Luckily the cab/cowl has mostly dents and a few places that I will need to fix some cracks. Took the doors off and one hinge needs attention. Top is not rusted but winshield frame is toast. It will need replacing but it bolts on like a 40.
Today I got top, winshield frame, doors, and dash off. I want to have the cab off the frame by next weekend so I can then concentrate on removing the LX body.
View attachment 1711048

Whats the deal on those axles? Doesn't look like a LC axle.
I have no clue. I need to find a data tag or something on them to look them up. The truck driver that delivered the truck was interested in them. Hopefully they are worth something to help pay off my shipping charges. The mine tag on the dash said top speed was 17mph so they are geared pretty low.
1002BB3D-068A-47A0-A0BB-DA33FEFBECC9.jpeg
BFF8649C-CCFB-478B-A560-7492CC2D0510.jpeg

Hmm interesting I know nothing about them, but they look very stout. Also the hydraulic line running into them makes me think maybe they have some kind of high/low range built in?
Looks like fully hydraulic steering with the ram mounted on the differential housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom