Builds Cummins 6BT install in FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd look at this as a fresh start! Since you have the Shell and nothing else, I wouldn't worry about finding cruiser parts and just build a monster of a diesel 80 on Dana 60s with an atlas Xcase, etc. Get it driving and flexing first then deal with things like the interior, body panels, etc. my $.02 Best of Luck look forward to watching the rebirth!

Unfortuantally too much is missing off the cruiser for me to start with whats left, I already have a replacement 80 to re start my project on, and I still have my Cummins and drive train.
My fresh start is with a white 97 locked 80. Things will be a little different this time around, but same thread goal.
Lots of push backs and set backs, but when has that ever stopped a cruiser head from giving up?
Keep :wrench:ing
lc3.jpg

Looking forward for the second-time-around build, I hope things glide a deal smoother this time around!

i hate to see the price tag on this project considering what you have gone through already and now going at it again!

Best of luck!

Fresh start on a beautiful white 80...let's get to it! looking forward to it. On to bigger and better!

Dammit, I just read this roller coasters of a post, DAMN YOU PORTAL TEK SCUM , for taking away a great ending for this story, this is the first I have heard of this thread and I was hooked from the start, I didnt even skip to the good parts (looking back it would have been better) .
Ron so sorry for your losses here man, God knows what this kind of money can do in a cruiser, and your wife has to be to sweetest most understanding woman EVER! Take her out for dinner and renew your vows and buy her flowers.
I am really pissed off at this point (and not just because this thread messed with my emotions) this guy even had the balls to come on here and ACT like he had full intentions of completing your build. I am sorry you and your family had to go through this.
One question I do have is, whos idea was it to send the rig to Utah? Thats when I had the "UH OH" moment on my end. As stated before, many people in the hot rod hobby have been down the same road. I am just wondering if this guy steered you to his shop to get a new line of cash coming in. That is what is turning my stomach right now, the premeditation of this criminal act. Way to keep your head up, we are still watching for more progress and especially for any news on :mad: PORTAL TEK :mad:

I dunno, I think the Portal-Tek parters split the sheets, and one of 'em walked off with the hardware for the build.
I did some research, and it turns out that P-T has a bad rep alltogether - never filling orders on time, stringing people along, half-assed work.

Not much of an update, but im still around. Ive taken it out once, and then had to put it away, Its thirsty, compaired to my vw golf that gets 50mpg. 700miles for $40 beats $75 for 280miles.
Business looks to be picking up for us, if so, Ill have something modded by June. Hopefully tires and a lift. And slowly take it from there.

I always get excited when I see this thread come up. Glad you are gonna get some things done man.

Hey there,

Just signed up to the site, purely to reply to this thread.
I love the idea an older cruiser + portals + cummins = my exact kind of ride (trying to do similar myself)

And anyway, I have been absolutely heart broken when I have read through all this.

I am very glad to see new beginnings though and really want to know if there is any updates over the last 6 weeks! :p

Also, will say.

I have been looking on and off at past portal stuff for the last 12 months or so.
Portal-tek I have seen around here and there and was completely unaware of the disbandment, haven't look for about 6 months, pretty much right around the time of the portal-tek death.

I hope they find Rob and give him a hot lead injection!

Also, will say.

I have been looking on and off at past portal stuff for the last 12 months or so.
Portal-tek I have seen around here and there and was completely unaware of the disbandment, haven't look for about 6 months, pretty much right around the time of the portal-tek death.

I hope they find Rob and give him a hot lead injection!

Thats not very nice, but neither is ripping people off and leaving town, maybe thats why nobody has seen him, maybe its already been dealt with.

If that piece of doo-doo is still breathing it would be interesting to hear him speak up on this thread.

Hello all.
not too much to report for this year, other than gas prices killing us all, and diesel even more.

As far as my losses go, after talking with a few lawyers, I may have a case, but by the time Im done paying them, there wont be much left to trickle in for me. and that trickling could be spread out for quite a few years. and if the case goes no where, then im out additional on top of what I have already lost.
But thats ok, .. you live and learn. everything comes back to you edventually, good or bad.

In the mean time i have been able to come up with a nice used set of 37" tires and some 17" tundra rims. All I need now is a good used lift that will get me by untill tax season next year, when I will again, proceed to restart the transformation :grinpimp:

Bumped again and got all excited again! LMAO. it all does come around and that you are right on.

I bet you can sell the old 80 as a rolling chassis. If I was close to you, I'd make you an offer.

When this thread first started I had my brown 60 on 35's and thought that a cummins'd 80 on portals would be THE cruiser to have. But would be unobtainable for me. Well, now im part of the way there, though with house reno's and a bun in the oven the portals probably wont be coming too soon. I think that this thread has still been an inspiration to the forum, despite the difficulties youve had.

Hopefully you achieve what you originally set out to accomplish. And make sure to post some pics of it wiht the 37's!

For a picture update, I managed to find 4 tires and 5 rims. 37"cooper stt on tundra rims. I stuffed them under the cruiser. No Lift Used.
IMG_3586.jpg
IMG_3570.jpg

That is awesome, talk about a big tire and low cg rig. If only it wouldn't rub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom