cummins 2.8 Poll (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would love to see this happen. My 2f is in need of rebuild/replacement. This would be a great bolt in option.

This Cummins is the engine of this UTE in Oz.

image.jpeg

Cummins ISF Engine - Foton Passenger and Light Commercial Vehicles

You had me at " DIESEL". :cheers:

It would also be nice to have an automatic tranny option as well

Yes please. Just getting started with my '85 60, and definitely want diesel, but don't want Toyo diesel. I like the sounds of this option very much. Is it still on the drawing board?

Why would you use a 2.8? It only has 30 more hp and 50 more ftlbs torque over a stock 2F. I have never heard of any vehicle getting 30MPG that's fj60 size. I think the Jeep liberty diesel can get 28. I think you'll maybe get closer to low 20s.
The only real reason I can see (and correct me if I am wrong) to using this little diesel over the 2F and even 3FE is future parts support. It seems like Toyota rebuild parts are drying up and rebuilding a 2F might get more and more expensive, so a new domestic engine might have better parts support and even a little extra power is nice to have. obviously doing a swap just to get better MPG is silly.

Yeah, it would be very nice to have a modern brand new engine that is in current production. Not some niche 30 year old thing that was never very popular.

That Oz pickup (above) fuel consumption rating is 28.3 mpg (8.3 L/100km) with this engine.

Cummins stated on their website that the R2.8 i4 turbo diesel is the first crate engine they will make available. They probably figure that will be the most popular. By the wording it seemed that in the future they would have other engines available too.

It's interesting to compare the highly regarded "mighty" Toyota I6 4.0L 12HT turbo diesel with this "little" Cummins turbo four banger.

Goes to show what electronically controlled high pressure fuel injection and 16 valves with an OHC can do.

But I bet the 12HT kicks the R2.8's rump at torque at idle. No way an I4 can beat 6 cylinders churning away at 600 rpm.

---

Toyota 12HT
Torque: 232 ft-lbs @ 1,800 RPM
Horsepower: 134 hp @ 3,500 rpm
Direct Injection
Weight: ~ 700 lbs
Displacement: 4.0 L I6

Cummins R2.8
Torque: 267 lb-ft @ 1,600-3,200 RPM
Horsepower: 160 hp @ 3,200 RPM
Electronic fuel injection
Weight: 503 lbs
Displacement: 2.8L I4

Last edited:
Not to poo poo this engine, but a couple things posted are a little gray:

This engine is not a domestic Cummins product, it's made in China by a partnership between Cummins and Foton

This will not be an emissions compliant motor for use in any vehicle built after 1998 in CA, possibly other states who test diesels also, or anything built after 2007 when diesel exhaust after treatment went into affect. I don't see how they could provide an after treatment exhaust system with - catalytic converters, regeneration, urea, particulate filters, burners, computer controls, etc.

No diesel engine meets current emissions without those controls, equipment and treatments.

Electronic controls and common rail have improved mileage, but pushing a 5-6,000 brick through the air, with 4 wheel drive, big tires, etc, ain't likely to get 30 mpg!

My 3.9l Isuzu has returned right at 20 mpg over about 50k miles, so maybe this engine may pick up another 3-5 mpg, maybe, but who knows?

Still a cool engine!

Our new Hino medium duty trucks with the added Def/regeneration hardware have been a nightmare...less power and much more time in the shop. Our 2004 Hino with the old school inline 6 diesel has 400,000 miles and has been reliable and has more power/speed and better MPG than our brand new ones. All this emission sh#t makes me want to stay old school.

Interested with 5speed compatibility and California emissions compliant .

Main concern of mine .. it's how long it's gonna last ..?
Foton Tunland problems Australia | Facebook

I would be inclined to wait it out 6-12 months before buying an engine and see how reliable they are going to be. There is some sad stories filtering through about Foton .Most of its non engine things, but some of its not. And a lot of it seems to be a problem with the dealer.

No need to wait.....these have been around quite a while with earlier qsb iterations having been improved on in the ISf used in Fotons and other vehicles with little complaints.

The isf2.8 is fairly well detuned at the 160hp /268tq rating. In fact Cummins has mapping to turn this up tp 200+hp and 300+tq in their HD tuned versions which operate at a slightly higher-200ish- rpm points to achieve that.
The detuned 160/267 makes peak torque at 1600rpms and 200ft/lb off idle-800rpms. !! perfect for any sub 4500lb rig.

Given the Cummins 4bt crates are around $4500-4800new. And http://www.trucksales.com.au/buy/private/SSE-AD-2669128/Cummins-ISF-28 has an almost new one for sale for $4800 U.S after currency conversion......i would imagine Cummins shoots for capturing and creating market share and pricing it no more than $5500-6000 ready to go plug n play with most accessories.(maybe more for a/c and pwr steering)

remember this is in a 500lb package which drops 200lbs off your avg. f/2f/3f/1fz.

The more recent isf is rated to tier5 standard and drops compression from 17.5 to 16.9 and changes mapping somewhat. 1600rpm-2900 dead flat 266tq.

Cummins initially was "optimistic" in its Atlas program with the 5.0liter v8 that ended up in the Nissan Titan. Apparently Toyota wanted better results for mpg to adopt it in the Tundra and dropped the Cummins program early on before Nissan picked up.

For tier5 emissions Cummins uses all aftertreatment cat based system.......so for those who dont need it- likely it wont be part of the pricing which is nice. For those who want to pass emissions/smog ...the 2.8 can use DEF fluid which is about $8 gallon at Walmart.

Tranny wise its sae standard - and advanced adapters already has milled one for an nv3500 - so nv4500 and hopefully a host of others will follow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom