CSC Chat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cattle ranchers are on horseback and OHV, I doubt it would be a rancher although it does piss off ranchers to have ATV's or OHV's tearing up the soil off trails (releasing the nitrogen). Although ranchers "only have grazing rights" they typically are the caretakers against poachers, garbage dumpers, shooters, environmentalists (yes, them too), etc. IMHO, Ranchers are the best environmentalists. They often run hundreds of miles of gravity pipes through the mountains to troughs that all the animals drink from, the iodized salt blocks are good for all sorts of animals, they regularly pick up trash so the cattle don't eat it, etc., etc.

I would probably guess it's an extreme environmentalist, why? Because if the Rancher blows a tire or worse yet his horse or cattle gets slashed he's going to hunt for the culprit until he finds them.

Zona

Marijuana or Shroom growers is my guess. I bet a few miles away you would find a huge setup, in my eyes it fits the profile.

After reading Living in the Pasts posts it sounds like very likely someone that lives in the area who is sick and tired of some OHV abuse.

I hate people running all over in the woods, but this is freaking crazy.

Its crazy someone would put in the effort to do something like that. I can't see the motivation other than some sort of profit. Happy Jack, thats not a big area at all for hikers or the environmentalist type that would have the motivation to do this. That area is popular with hunters but its not close to hunting season yet. Either way I am 100% concerned since many of us have young ones that we let roam around while we picnic in the club. Even if they are within line of sight its un-nerving that there could be deadly obstacles if they accidentally fall or trip on one of these life threatening traps. I feel like this is an all time low for the outdoor community. I have never heard of anything like this before, and the story of the piano wire coupled with this sounds like something out of novel. Its a really sad day that people have to resort to these kind of tactics.

Last edited:
.. this sounds like something out of novel.
Chuy,
More or less. Read this -> "The Monkey Wrench Gang" by Edward Abbey.
Trent

it's worth reading - from multiple perspectives

I don't condone the use of the spikes either but understand the motivation behind the action, or at least what I believe the motivation was. People are sick and tired of jerks and becoming vigilantes. Some are doing it in the right way, catching and turning these idiots in when found. Unfortunately with the courts little more than a slap on the wrist may ever occur unless the action is compounded with another illegal action such as chasing animals or poaching. The bottom line is that these 4 wheeled insects are going to destroy the activities we enjoy if the action is not curtailed.

Sorry, I disagree.
Per the prior post, these were found on forest roads, ie legal trails. Regardless where they were placed, these things can cause serious injury or even fatalities. If they catch these jack offs they should throw the book at them. There are a multitude of ways to encourage better behavior that don't involve the threat of physical harm.

I picked up a PortaBote last Sunday (Craigslist find). Put it together/took it apart in no time, easy to do - pretty stoked to now have a boat with such a small storage footprint, easy to stow and transport, etc. Electric troller coming soon......haven't yet fished in it but have plans to "soon" spend a few days in Chevlon and Blue Ridge just to get away. Sourced in Nutrioso outside of Springerville so was a healthy roundtrip from my place in Heber. Drive was absolutely worth it.....beautiful area, once again realized how varied and fantastic this state can be and the little time I spent with the seller was also good to boot (retired pilot, making ends meet with a couple of properties, love for the outdoors, adventures with the grandkids, etc.).

Whoever is placing spikes in the ground should get their nuts shorn with rusty shears by someone who knows good moonshine from bad moonshine. As much as I also can't stand the ATV'ers treating the forest like it's all theirs, rebar spikes are just another example of 1 + 1 = 0.5.

LCP, I need some of that 4GA. PM-a-comin'.

--t

BTW, did anyone figure out how to recover their 'Garage' entries from the old Mud? Last time I pecked around, I couldn't find/figure it out. thx...

I don't condone the use of the spikes either but understand the motivation behind the action, or at least what I believe the motivation was. People are sick and tired of jerks and becoming vigilantes. Some are doing it in the right way, catching and turning these idiots in when found. Unfortunately with the courts little more than a slap on the wrist may ever occur unless the action is compounded with another illegal action such as chasing animals or poaching. The bottom line is that these 4 wheeled insects are going to destroy the activities we enjoy if the action is not curtailed.

I doubt very much these crack pots share your version of motivation. Most of the eco terrorists won't be happy until all motor vehicles are confined to paved roads. As much as I hate to side with the ATV crowd, they're lumped in with us in most people's eyes, so any threat to them is a threat to all of us.

Vigilantism never works. If you want to make a difference, work with the LEOs and land management agencies. IMO, the biggest single way to improve the situation would be to pressure law enforcement to put out some token DUI enforcement in Rec areas. Take drunk driving out of the equation, and a lot of other behaviors will improve.

BTW, did anyone figure out how to recover their 'Garage' entries from the old Mud? Last time I pecked around, I couldn't find/figure it out. thx...
One day they showed up under my photos. I've heard some people hd them recover and others didn't. I looked. At your photos and don't see anythingbso appears they didn't transfer over to new mud :(

One day they showed up under my photos. I've heard some people hd them recover and others didn't. I looked. At your photos and don't see anythingbso appears they didn't transfer over to new mud :(

Much appreciated. Garage is where I was storing mileage and dates tied to work I had done, guess that's all gone.

I'm sorry (actually, fxxx that, I'm NOT sorry) but placing spikes on legal trails is absolutely bull****. It's terrorism, plain and simple. How anyone, especially anyone who is a "fellow" four-wheeler or not, could think that they agree with the motivation is... breathtakingly stupid. So it's OK, right? Well, let's say someone decides "you know, those damn fishermen, disturbing the fish, walking in the mud, whatever, they need to be taken down several dozen pegs, so they take all kinds of "monkey-wrench" tactics to keep those bastards away. And then a kid loses an eye, or something equally bad.

"Oh well, they shouldn't have been fishing there!"

Seriously, to think is is OK... you've got to be s***ting me.

Break-Break.

I would like to learn more about 4 x 4 emergency stuff.

Specifically, can we have a trip whereby we learn how to properly tow, recover, winch?

Zona

Gents, apparently I am being misunderstood here. I am in NO WAY CONDONING the action. I merely stated I could understand their frustration/anger. Siding with the individuals who are creating the problem is NOT the answer. As stated, there are groups of people that are lumping us into the same group as those who are trashing the land. We need to stand apart from those individuals, not with and they, not us, need to be held accountable, not supported.

Break-Break.

I would like to learn more about 4 x 4 emergency stuff.

Specifically, can we have a trip whereby we learn how to properly tow, recover, winch?

Zona

I think that is a great idea Zona. I suggest these topics could be addressed at the next CSC group meeting ?

on another topic

wtb: washing machine - used but in good shape for the detail shop here at work for washing towels.

please PM me if you have one.

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom