COVID-19 chat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This piece is too funny to not watch: if you are a tRump supporter, do not watch it.

Sweden is still continuing to do very well without a shutdown! This is something EVERYONE should be enthusiastically excited about as it is showing an evidence-based path towards getting back to economic activity.

Have you ever been to Sweden? Except for a few cities they are naturally isolated ... it's like saying the people on the Navajo reservation are doing fine without socially isolating.

Oh, as for Sweden doing fine? Their daily case rates are still trending upward right along with their daily death rates.

Yeah, those protests.

With slavery flags and assault rifles, it looks like the thunderdome edition of the KKK.

Sloppy messaging.

Would the media ever highlight the images of a few outliers in an attempt to put forth a false image of those who are protesting this inane lockdown?

Have you ever been to Sweden? Except for a few cities they are naturally isolated ... it's like saying the people on the Navajo reservation are doing fine without socially isolating.

Oh, as for Sweden doing fine? Their daily case rates are still trending upward right along with their daily death rates.

Let's look at the daily numbers.

4/5 - 387 new cases, 28 new deaths
4/6 - 376 new cases, 76 new deaths
4/7 - 487 new cases, 114 new deaths
4/8 - 726 new cases, 96 new deaths
4/9 - 722 new cases, 106 new deaths
4/10 - 544 new cases, 77 new deaths
4/11 - 466 new cases, 17 new deaths
4/12 - 332 new cases, 12 new deaths
4/13 - 465 new cases, 20 new deaths
4/14 - 497 new cases, 114 new deaths
4/15 - 482 new cases, 170 new deaths
4/16 - 613 new cases, 130 new deaths
4/17 - 676 new cases, 67 new deaths
4/18 - 606 new cases, 111 new deaths
4/19 - 563 new cases, 29 new deaths
4/20 - 392 new cases, 40 new deaths
4/21 - 545 new cases, 185 new deaths
4/22 - 682 new cases, 172 new deaths

Where's the massive spike in deaths and cases that was predicted? Is their medical system overwhelmed so they can't provide treatment?

What they are doing makes so much sense. Isolate the most at risk, everyone else wash your hands and go about your business.

That said, it sure would be helpful to get more specifics around who's at risk and what the commonalities are among those who don't show any symptoms.

Last edited:
Clunky, what you are missing is the simple fact people can be contagious and have no clue they are infecting those around them. While this isn't an uncommon attribute of bugs we have seen in the past, few of those bugs, barring measles, is as deadly as SARS is. If you smooth and plot the daily numbers from Sweden, they are showing a clearly increasing trend. Both new cases and deaths. That is hardly what you want to see when trying to control the spread of a bug.

So far - and this isn't over yet - in two months more have died of COVID-19 than have died in the past 18 months of the flu. The only reason we haven't seen tens of millions of infections and hundreds of thousands or millions of of deaths is that social distancing is working. If that isn't a "spike" by your definition, well, I am out of words.

ps: today, there are 39,500 new cases in the US. Of these, at the current death rate, about 5.5% will die: or 2,150 more souls will be gone in a few weeks: PER DAY. Another way of looking at it: for every 18 people tested and confirmed infected, one will die.

Last edited:
We need to keep the context in mind. This virus is going to work its way through the population. The whole purported purpose of the lockdown is to prevent medical systems from being overwhelmed. If it is possible to do limited mitigation that focuses on the most at risk and keeps the economy going at the same time, then that would be making the best of a terrible situation.

Here's today's update from doctors working on the subject:

One month ago, as the country went into lockdown to prepare for the first wave of coronavirus cases, many doctors felt confident that they knew what they were dealing with. Based on early reports, covid-19 appeared to be a standard variety respiratory virus, albeit a very contagious and lethal one with no vaccine and no treatment. But they’ve since become increasingly convinced that covid-19 attacks not only the lungs, but also the kidneys, heart, intestines, liver and brain.

Many are also reporting bizarre, unsettling cases that don’t seem to follow the textbooks they’ve trained on. They describe patients with startlingly low oxygen levels — so low that they would normally be unconscious or near death — talking and swiping on their phones. Asymptomatic pregnant women suddenly in cardiac arrest. Patients who by all conventional measures seem to have mild disease deteriorating within minutes and dying at home.

This virus is going to work its way through the population.

Yes and no. Besides limiting numbers of needed hospital beds, there is a hope that this social distancing also delays progression in the population so that effective treatments and a vaccine can be developed. It is a bad situation, and trying to rush a resumption of 'normal' will just kill more people. Sure, it's easy to say that those deaths are a necessary evil, but are you volunteering to die so some Joe can make five bucks? I'm not.

I certainly don't have answers. But I know there are smarter people than me working the issues. And I have to trust those people. Kind of like driving, the easiest way to avoid problems is to move slow, brake early, and pay attention to what's around you. Not necessarily in that order.

ps: People mixing it up and rejecting the closures, I'm all for letting them do what they want: but they need tags so that when they get sick the doctors will know who they are and be better prepared to triage them in order with someone like me who at least tried to stay safe.

And then there are Darwin Awards being delivered:

Last edited:
Snopes? People still use this site? They have their own internal issues going on. Who fact checks the fact checkers anyway? What other health issues did he have. He was 60. Most likely true however. I'm sure he's not the only one to have said something and unfortunately passed away. Don't quite understand the purpose of posting that one instance. I could find tens of thousands of cases where people have recovered from it...hospitals are throwing line parties when people are discharged after recovering, like they are cancer patients. I get being anti-Trump (which you so cutely mistype his name every time), maybe you want this to be as bad as it can get so Trump can go down, which won't happen. Plus he's not making all of the decisions, he's advised like every other president since ever. He gets crap for not handling it right, or not taking it seriously. What's he supposed to do? The media took care of the panic. At least he appeared to stay calm and say calm things. I have a list a mile long of the good things he's done since in office if interested. I believe its Navy Seals that say 'calm breeds calm, panic breeds panic', this from Dan Crenshaw calmly do an interview with liberal Bill Maher. Perfect responses. Gives people a real idea of the timeline of this virus and how the US responded as well.

Good to have opinions and love this country for it. But you haven't heard me tear into the left like I could easily do. But I think I first brought up the 'T' word in this thread so I made that bed to sleep in. Apologies for that. Back to virus talk.

Call me nuts but this is fun!

Last edited:
Sweden is still continuing to do very well without a shutdown! This is something EVERYONE should be enthusiastically excited about as it is showing an evidence-based path towards getting back to economic activity.

Some other interesting developments:

-Areas high in Nitrogen Dioxide pollution are closely correlated with higher fatality rates. This doesn't necessarily mean causation and these same areas are also densely populated and have high use of mass transit.

-Another study out of USC indicates that the actual number of infections could be 55 times higher than what's been confirmed via testing. This would put the mortality rate at about .001, which is the same as the flu.

-People are waking up and protesting the absurdity of the shutdown!! This is great news and will help us get back on our feet again.

Some interesting points made recently by Professor Johan Giesecke, who currently serves as an advisor to the Swedish Government, was the first Chief Scientist of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC), and a former advisor to the director general of the WHO (he’s now retired and serves as an advisor to the WHO only in an honorary capacity).

• UK policy on lockdown and other European countries are not evidence-based
  • The correct policy is to protect the old and the frail only
  • This will eventually lead to herd immunity as a “by-product”
  • The initial UK response, before the “180 degree U-turn”, was better
  • The Imperial College paper was “not very good” and he has never seen an unpublished paper have so much policy impact
  • The paper was very much too pessimistic
  • Any such models are a dubious basis for public policy anyway
  • The flattening of the curve is due to the most vulnerable dying first as much as the lockdown
  • The results will eventually be similar for all countries
  • Covid-19 is a “mild disease” and similar to the flu, and it was the novelty of the disease that scared people.
  • The actual fatality rate of Covid-19 is the region of 0.1%
  • At least 50% of the population of both the UK and Sweden will be shown to have already had the disease when mass antibody testing becomes available
Exactly! Nicely summed up. Covid 19 is much like the flu in many ways, the fear mongers(media and left) painted it as way worse like a SARS which it is NOT. Knee jerk social distancing/close down world economy is in no way evidence based whatsoever. Poor decision that will string along a virus that could have been wiped out by now. America has been punked but those that believe all they are told don’t even realize it. Thanks for this.

The way you beat this is get exposed and build immunity. That is the only solution in the end. Isolate your elderly, immunocomprimised and those with chronic health conditions. The hopey changeys waiting for a vaccine have been mislead. We have been made to believe none of us have immune systems, insanity!

sure, go ahead and expose yourself - better you than me

Well - another day and another increase in daily infections and daily deaths in Arizona. One thing is certain: a virus does not care one bit about personal opinions.

I have numerous hospitals as customers, they have never been so slow. It was smart to be cautious, but it’s pretty clear that most of the country could get back to living and working again.

I have numerous hospitals as customers, they have never been so slow. It was smart to be cautious, but it’s pretty clear that most of the country could get back to living and working again.
Exactly they have the whole country believing none of us has an immune system. Can’t wait for the “toe stubbing pandemic” guess we should all stock up now on steel toe shoes!!! Sandals will be banned!!!! Time to live our lives again folks👍

A couple Respiratory therapists reached out to me. They wanted a quiet place to unwind from the recent hospital stress. While out I ask them what they thought about Corona. It a virus and the care is the same as one with the flu:meh: the bonus we get time and a half pay.

D50BAA31-F00D-49C5-9F90-08DF70D025F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Trump added: "I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? As you see, it gets in the lungs, it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that."

My imagination tells me how tRump used this to light up his insides... not sure I'd try it.

41+Rlp9-LyL.jpg

Last edited:
A couple Respiratory therapists reached out to me. They wanted a quiet place to unwind from the recent hospital stress. While out I ask them what they thought about Corona. It a virus and the care is the same as one with the flu:meh: the bonus we get time and a half pay.

View attachment 2283713

Where is that Phil and how do I get there? :)

Trump added: "I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute. And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside or almost a cleaning? As you see, it gets in the lungs, it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that."

My imagination tells me how tRump used this to light up his insides... not sure I'd try it.

View attachment 2283837

Enough of your childishness, Control yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom