Builds Coop's GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NMBruce

SILVER Star
Threads
Went out to CA and picked up a 2006 GX470, $14,900. The GX was clean, a few scratches, good maintenance records. Need new tires, just put on some 265/65/17 for now. Runs great, got 17 mpg coming out of PHX for Gallup NM and then 20 mpg from Gallup up to home.
Need to add a receiver hitch, need one this spring to pull my trailer. This summer I might need the heavy one (6500lbs) for getting hay. Then I am hoping to get Southern Style's rear bumper this coming summer/fall, which covers both, any ideas for a cheap way to go before the SSS bumper?
IMG_1498.jpg
IMG_1499.jpg

What the GX look like on 2/25/17
IMG_1048.JPG

My old setup, JK & Trailer, so that you can see the trailer.
Now I need to sell the JEEP.

to come will be a lift 2.5-3", 275/75/17 tires, skid plates, front and rear bumper, head unit with Nav and I am guessing more.

Armor:
Demello Off Road front bumper with home made hoop
MetalTech rear bumper with swing out and fuel can carrier
RCI full skid plates set
RCI rock rails

Recovery;
Warn Zeon 10s winch with remote mount control box (still to be hooked up)
Tree saver strap
tow strap
ARB dual compressor

Suspension;
2015 4Runner SR5 wheels & Dick Cepeks Fun Country 265/70/17 ( soon to be Cooper ST Maxx 280/75/17)
MetalTech Extend travel front with Radflo 2.5 shocks and 700lbs springs, Lite Racing Upper control arms
Dobinson HD rear Springs, Radflo 2.5 long travel rear shocks, MetalTech upper & lower rear control arms

Brakes;
Powerstop rotors, factory calipers, power stop pads, rear is stock with power stop pads

Electrical;
X2 31M battery
250amp power circuit breaker
LED headlights and hi beam lights
6 blade fuze box for accessories
Pioneer 8200nex headunit with iDatalink Maestro and Scan Gauge 2
Rear power outlet for the ARB fridge
Rear center console home made power outlet, 12v & usb
interior LED's
all 12v outlets are hard wired always hot
Midland 75-822 hand held CB, wired to always hot
HAM Radio Yaesu FTM-3200DR 2 meter, wired to always hot
7 Pin trailer hook up wired to be always hot, lets me turn on the trailers spots & interior lights

Interior;
ARB fridge
Home build wood storage box
Home build storage area over the fridge
Home made wood trays, 1-rear door that folds against door if not in use, 2- sets on draw of storage, stores above fridge
Paper towel holder on rear door
Home made map holder
Interior rear door release

misc;
ARB breather
Tire repair kit
first aid kit
gun holder & clip holder in glove box
Ram mount and cradle for iPad

Navigation;
Pioneer 8200nex
iPad using Giga maps and Bad Elf for GPS signal
Hard paper maps, Atlas and large state maps

last summer at the Arctic Ocean
71DE256C-DEA3-496B-868B-F1205BB31383.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice!! Welcome to the family

Sent from my iPhone

full draw tie receiver hitches are available for the gx .... or i make a 4 bolt quick hitch if your interest ... perfect for light weight hauling and goes on very easy ... @123ROBERTELEE & @freddydt run one and havent had a problem loading it down ... probly good for 2.5K - 3k lbs towing but not the full tow rating of the vehicle

Gx-QuickHitch3.jpg

The 4R hitch that mounts to the rear crossmember is affordable, stealth, and allows the full towing capacity of the GX.

The 4R hitch that mounts to the rear crossmember is affordable, stealth, and allows the full towing capacity of the GX.

Thanks, we have a 2005 4runner with the 4.7L V-8 that one of the daughters is using, I can steal that one for a while.

Please excuse a quick hijack: Little Joe, do you have any more details on that particular hitch setup? My GX came with the plastic hitch piece with the "cutout," but it doesn't have a hitch receiver into which I can slide a hitch with ball. I'm not really sure which pieces would be easiest to add to the truck to make this a functional hitch.

Thanks.

@dnp the 4R hitch is the same as the GX, but since it's from Toyota it is cheaper than Lexus. :) Of course, if you can find one used or off a wreck, even better. I bought mine from a Toyota dealer for ~$100, part number is 5190935011 - Trailer hitch.

That's very odd you have the proper trim piece but no hitch.

Oh wait, your are talking about the small hitch, does anyone know if the full frame hitch from a 4Runner will work or not?

Those wheels look really nice. I did not expectthat but I like.

I'm trying to figure out why it appears the hitch is sticking out excessively...

Is that some sort of extension or adapter in there?

I'm trying to figure out why it appears the hitch is sticking out excessively...

Is that some sort of extension or adapter in there?

A friend made it out of scrap metal and it was free and it is just until I get my SSO rear bumper

this passed weekend/week I installed RCI skid plates and Metal Tech/Radflo 3" lift.

Skids where picked up with no finish, I painted them with Por-15 paint. The install was easy and the fit was very good, I like the way they interlock with each other.

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

The lift was Metal tech long travel HD springs, with new upper & lower rear control arms, long brake lines and a Toytec pan hard bar. I also added the protect guards for the lower shocks. On the install the rear axle dropped a little lower than expected and broke the 2 white wires for the anti lock, but reported without a problem, so be careful and disconnect it. the removal was straight forward, just pulled the 2 fuses under the hood for suspension. The air bag connections on top of the bags was the hardest, everything else was easy.
The sway bar was removed and doesn't seem to affect handling.
the rear

IMG_1861.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

Last edited:
the guards for the shocks

IMG_1897.jpg

the front, here we ran into a couple of problems. First SPA sent 2 left UCA, so they did not get installed. the second was Radflo had put a wrong bushing in one of the shocks, fixed by a local machine shop. Hight adjustment was set after instal, it need about 1.5" lift added to match the rears. The old wires where taped up and zipped tied up.
Again, the install was very straight forward and I installed new brake lines from Toytec. I did reinstall the sway bar and I think I will remove it when I finally install the UCA.

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1872.jpg

IMG_1874.jpg

So far I have only driven on the road back from Houston and the ride is very nice. A little harder than stock, but not much.
I ended up with a 2" lift in back and just under 3" in front. I have a small rake still 1/2" difference front to back and since I still have to replace the UCA, I can reset the front at that time.
A picture in northern New Mexico, it shows a little flex

IMG_1912.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom