Coolant overflow bottle (FAQ) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Herb

SILVER Star
Threads
I just added a coolant overflow bottle to my '71. Originally, it was just draining the coolant overflow onto the driveway.

I bolted the overflow bottle to the side of the radiator housing and ran the tubing into the top and sealed her up with duct tape as I don't have the cap. The bottle top sits about level with the radiator cap.

Since doing this I've had coolant leak at the lower rad hose....and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with how I've connected this coolant overflow bottle. Does this overflow bottle need to breathe?...it can't now as it is sealed up with duct tape. Does it need to sit lower down in the engine compartment to facilitate flow?

Thanks for any suggestions....
Cruiser and Bikes 009.jpg

mmmm dont take my word for it but im pretty sure it needs to breath, mine didnt have a over flow bottle on it either and i just riged it up with a 2L pop bottle drilled a hole through the cap and never used anything to seal it....the hose was a pretty close fit though and it seems to be working

Yes, it needs to breath. When the water goes in the bottle, the air has to go out.... The suction of the water cooling in the engine will draw the water back into the engine.

Shawn

i keeped loosing my lid so now i just dont put one on. but the fluid dosent spill out so i just leave it with the lid off.

Thanks guys...I'll let it breathe then.

CHeers.

The 60 series trucks have a great coolant recovery tank system that I have installed into early 40 series that did not come with them.

These pics are of the bottle and mount that I am running in my junk:
myb01.jpg
myb02.jpg
myb03.jpg

Another truck in the shop...

This configuration put the tank on the passenger fender with a little braket I fabricated and welded the Toyota bracket to:
Db01.jpg
db02.jpg
db03.jpg

The new OEM pieces and part numbers:

16480-90A00 - Reserve Tank
16405-90A03 - Cap Sub-Assembly
16611-61020 tank bracket
bottle.jpg
hose01.jpg
nb01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for adding those guys!

:beer:

My overflow bottle is a plastic Folgers coffee container. It's a one-off restoration item. Very rare.

Herb, if you pay close attention to the FJ60 bottle assembly pics that Poser posted, you will notice that where the hose goes into the bottle, it goes in via a tube that extends down into the bottle. The older units also had a tube, and the ones before that fed the coolant in from the bottom.

The point is that if your 'feed' either goes in from the bottom, or reaches down to the bottom, it will 'draw' back in to the radiator better, and will also help reduce blowby from the bottle.

Best

Mark A.

I just use the generic one from kragen's. It works great. Has a vent and comes with some hose.

I also use the generic one and it does work great its mounted it on the Radiator support.

Poser, how much all these peices cost from toyota? Thanks.

I do not remember...

Send cruiserdan a pm, listing the part numbers and he should be able to let you know.

long inner hose on 40 series coolant bottle

So....my 60 has that setup; it's got that longer hose dipping into the reservoir.

My 40 (new to me) has the bottle, but no hose going to the bottom. Should I have that? Pics and intro to the 40 side of the world coming soon. :)

Yes, it will need that in order to draw the coolant/fluid back into the engine...unless the hose comes out of the bottom of the coolant container...

OK, thanks guys. I have insterted a tube into the top to act as a breather, it goes to the bottom of the tank, then up and out and is fastened to the outside of the tank, pointing down. The tube from the radiator goes in to the tank and goes all the way to the bottom in order to allow it to draw fluid back in.

Thanks to all for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom