Cone Washer Frustrations... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mingles

GOLD Star
Threads
Such a simple sentence… (from the front hub section of FSM)

d) Using a brass bar and hammer, tap on the 6 bolt heads and remove the 6 cone washers, plate washers, and nuts.

Tap my A$$! 48 hours soaking in penetrant, tapping, vibrating, trying many of the tricks turned up in search, all were still frozen. I ended up double nutting the studs and removing the studs with an impact gun. Even with that, the cone washers are still frozen to the flange and still needed to be driven out. :bang:

I realize this is old hat to many of you but it is my first time.

Just had to vent… :)

Give @beno a shout and he can get you all new studs/cone washers and acorn nuts, just got a set myself.

Don't worry about it, just your time in the barrel, sometimes this crap just happens.

The truck itself is relatively rust free, this is not how things usually come off it.

I do have a full set of new studs/washers on hand so yes, it's just "time in the barrel".

I watched that video where they just fall out in the guys hand. Right...

I did not try heat though. I'll do that on the other side. Thanks!

Cool, keep us posted how that works. Heat them up then hammer with a drift. Just make sure you are not sitting in front when heating them - you don't want one of those washers to shoot out in your crotch, that would hurt. I always sit off-center because of that.

I watched that video where they just fall out in the guys hand. Right...

I did not try heat though. I'll do that on the other side. Thanks!

Just trying to help. I have removed 100's cone washers using the system never got my ass kick yet.

Just trying to help. I have removed 100's cone washers using the system never got my ass kick yet.
Thanks Phil. I appreciate your suggestion and read lots of references to the vibration method in old posts.

Wasn't trying to disregard it, things just look easier in videos :^)

Where are you hitting with your brass hammer? Hit in the center of the axle shaft if on the rear or on the housing cap in between the studs .

I got aggressive and hit the OUTSIDE of the axle flange and got out the cones, but I also hit it hard enough to egg-shape one of the holes in the axle shaft.

I've used the brass hammer many times. Although I run the nuts out flush with the ends of the studs and smack the crap out of them.

Some have made me wonder if they would come loose, but eventually they did. Yours sounds like an extreme case.

i have used all sorts of things to get them out, had to use a rock on the side of a trail 2 weeks ago so i could get home with a busted front diff. my hammer was MIA at the time. never had one be that big of a pain.

I run the nuts out away from the taper but leave them in place, this stops them flying off into oblivion. I then strike the side of the flange with a copper mallet, as long as strike between the stud holes they will not distort. I note the mention of a brass hammer, in Europe it seems to be a copper mallet.

Anyway, a couple of thumps and then rotate and thump again, as soon as one comes loose the others follow much easier.

I think yours was a particular bastard on the day, a deep breath, a beer, and move on....you won eventually, good luck with the other side.

regards

Dave

I use a 24oz ballpeen straight to the flange just above the cone washer. Helps to leave the nut threaded on one or two turns so the washer doesn't go flying. If rust is the issue you have to disrupt the mechanical weld that's occurring by causing the metal to temporarily distort. Also, try hammering a flathead screw driver in the gap of the cone washer and pulling it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom