Clutch Help Please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1983 BJ45. The clutch needs two pumps on the pedal to build up pressure, also with the slave cylinder the threaded rod that comes out the end is able to be moved in and out with very little force by hand. Is this normal? I am having issues with the box getting jammed in 4th gear and it grinds a bit changing, these issues have only just started. Any help is gladly taken onboard.

Hi mate sounds like there's air in your clutch fluid line somewhere. If the fluid is low then you have a leak somewhere which may contribute to air getting in.
Plenty of threads and videos on YouTube on how to bleed air out of the system.

Is there any paint missing/rust underneath the master cylinder or around the top of the clutch pedal? If so the master cylinder has a leak and may need replacing.

Yeh mate I would assume that the air in the system is what's making it so easy to move the slave cylinder piston as there is little to no pressure in the lines.
Could also help to explain poor shifting in 4th as the clutch is probably not working efficiently enough to handle the higher load of the gearbox at higher speeds

Air doesn't usually just appear in a clutch system. It sounds like it is time for a clutch master and slave. I would never just replace one of them without the other.

Air doesn't usually just appear in a clutch system. It sounds like it is time for a clutch master and slave. I would never just replace one of them without the other.

X2. Replace them both at the same time with Aisin components.

X2

Learned that the hard way shortly after buying 68 FJ40 forty-three years ago. Rebuilt the leaking master cylinder and within a week blow the slave cylinder out completely. Of course when it did I was off road a.long way from home. Just wish Toyota still sold rebuild kits for these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom