Chasing a 40... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

just further proof that auctions have no real ground in reality, and artificially sway the market.

I disagree, unless you are referring to televised auctions, now THAT is a different story. A lot of those buyers are duped into thinking they are "investing".

This was a generic estate sale auction.

The 40 definitely needed a bit of work, but, damn, was it original. I don't regret one iota that it did not come home with me. Well, maybe half an iota...

I’d say you made the right call. It was a 15k truck as Gary said especially being unmolested. But that frame wasn’t worth 20k in my opinion. As someone who enjoys auctions, knowing when to stop is as much a win as bringing it home sometimes. They’ll be more...

For what little I know about the 40 market I see why you backed off. It could have been a solid investment piece, but at the hammer price you could have had a long wait for a jestifiable ROI. The aircooled market (early split window busses specifically) has gone bananas the past few years, no help from the likes of Barrett-Jackson and mecum. If I’ve learned one thing over the years is that I won’t buy a classic type vehicle without being able to sell it quickly for no less than what I paid for it.

Called and texted...only crickets chirping so far. Stay tuned!

:beer::popcorn:

Ha! And it was listed 17 days ago. I think I might message him just to see what kind of story he fabricated about it.

Is it the original seller again? Or the guy who bought it is flipping it?

Seems legit. When I buy vehicles off Craigslist I prefer them to only have one photo and a very short and super vague description!

Seems legit. When I buy vehicles off Craigslist I prefer them to only have one photo and a very short and super vague description!

You're lucky there was a picture…

Ya gotta love such people…
  • State "Must see" and then don't include ANY pictures.
  • Engine swap or other customization? Be sure not to include a single picture that even remotely references it.
  • Pickup? Please don't give any details like motor size, 2WD or 4WD, or capacity (1/2-ton, 3/4, etc).
  • Put "manual" in the specs and then include a clear picture with the column shifter.
  • It helps if you take the pictures at night.
  • If you take pictures during the day, taking them from 100 yards away is good.
  • If you take clear pictures, make sure they contradict the written details.
  • Don't give a price - or just put $1 or $123456 in.
  • Finish your ad with "call/text for details."

Nope. That would never be a 4cyl. 01-04 double cabs were only v6 automatic.

Could be like my father in law. He was showing me the Jeep he bought, excited that he bought a 6 cyl for the price of the 4. He popped the hood and you guessed it - a 4 cyl...

Could be like my father in law. He was showing me the Jeep he bought, excited that he bought a 6 cyl for the price of the 4. He popped the hood and you guessed it - a 4 cyl...

Back in the eighties, Nissan trucks had two spark plugs per cylinder. I can't tell you how many times people would tell me their Nissan was better than my Toyota because it had a V8. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom