CEL question @ 215,000? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What could be the likely reasons for CEL @ 215,000 miles on a stock '97 LX-450?

What is the code it is throwing? Put a scantool on it or have the code pulled at a pepboys, vatoazone or likes.

My crystal ball is in the shop right now getting polished. Any local parts store will pull the code for free.

I think I need to be a bit more clear in my question, I just started noticing CEL in last two days and have been busy to scan it, hence the lazy question on the forum for those who had CEL at similar mileage. I don't hear engine knocks or anything and engine temp is dead center as usual, coolant, steering, engine, transmission fluids are good but I feel slight vibrations in rear.

Plenty of CELs will trip with no change in NVH or drivability. Unfortunately asking what it might be is a waste, it could be anything. And even if we were to guess, such a guess is worthless without knowing what it really is. Pull the code.

Well if I were to speculate for fun I would say P401

Heck... could be anything....like that P0401 :beer:

Great thread.

I know this one!! P0401.

Kernal...you have so much knowledge....look in to your vast wisdom and diagnosis from the couch!!!

You guys are awesome and all those that predicted P0401 are..........correct. :clap:

i chased my P0401 for a while. i finally gave up and installed a scan gauge on my steering column. now when it pops up, i just reset it.

I know the fix too, replace the entire system no matter what anyone tells you. Or, wait for the Check Engine (MIL) light to burn out (maybe in 10 years).

Actually, there are a few good threads on how to diagnose the P0401. Try some searches for P0401 and spend a week reading all the threads (see links below).

Here are some things to consider: a bad EGR to vacuum modulator hose (or other missing/damaged vacuum hose in the EGR system), a melted/plugged vacuum modulator, a totally plugged EGR gas passageway over to the Throttle Body, a defective EGR valve, a totally carboned up EGR Temp sensor, a plugged small vacuum pipe that passes straight through (but does not open into the intake manifold), plugged Throttle body EGR vacuum ports. Or, very common it seems, is a defective EGR VSV, and there is a process for checking that and the other components.

You could do a search for FSM+80+Series in this forum, find the link and download a digital copy of the manual for your model year, then read the section describing the testing procedure of EGR system components.

Found it for you, scroll to the bottom of the Chassis and Body section:

For Sale: - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

Here's a couple of threads to get you started:

P0401 Defeated - with pics

Cleared 0401 without removing throttle body

Last edited:
My CEL came on at 215001 miles. Guess I'm no help here. Good luck.

I know the fix too, replace the entire system no matter what anyone tells you. Or, wait for the Check Engine (MIL) light to burn out (maybe in 10 years).

Actually, there are a few good threads on how to diagnose the P0401. Try some searches for P0401 and spend a week reading all the threads (see links below).

Here are some things to consider: a bad EGR to vacuum modulator hose (or other missing/damaged vacuum hose in the EGR system), a melted/plugged vacuum modulator, a totally plugged EGR gas passageway over to the Throttle Body, a defective EGR valve, a totally carboned up EGR Temp sensor, a plugged small vacuum pipe that passes straight through (but does not open into the intake manifold), plugged Throttle body EGR vacuum ports. Or, very common it seems, is a defective EGR VSV, and there is a process for checking that and the other components.

You could do a search for FSM+80+Series in this forum, find the link and download a digital copy of the manual for your model year, then read the section describing the testing procedure of EGR system components.

Found it for you, scroll to the bottom of the Chassis and Body section:

For Sale: - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

Here's a couple of threads to get you started:

P0401 Defeated - with pics

Cleared 0401 without removing throttle body

Not to mention the 3 other 401 troubles on the first 2 recent pages here today.

i chased my P0401 for a while. i finally gave up and installed a scan gauge on my steering column. now when it pops up, i just reset it.
Also, for me at least, you can't see the CEL with the scan gauge mounted on the steering column...

:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom