Builds Cape Town Troop Carrier CTTC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Feels like ages since I was here!

Since the last post, I have fitted a 29Mhz aerial and radio, replaced the fm/am radio aerial (I now get 828 radio), had the back doors resprayed, and fitted a rear work light.

Have to admit I am far more active on the LCCSA web site as it contains far more relevant (read Land Cruiser) info and from local guys recommending local suppliers (not that the overseas guys don't, just that we are sometimes deprived of the great stuff they suggest).

Hope you all well in this glorious rain.

Cheers.

Apologies for being so scarce! Since my last post we have changed the Troops’ tires to 265/70/16 BFG KO2’s and fitted flares. The handling of the car has totally changed. We hoped to keep one of the pizza cutters on the back door, because we thought that it would weigh less than the new wheels, but we were wrong - they are actually heavier than the new rims and tires. We had to have the flares made up by Onca, a company in Johannesburg (because Toyota SA could not supply these anymore :frown:). The sidesteps had to come off because the flares were so wide that they could not go back on. Jan is in the process of modifying the sidesteps, as it is now a real mission for me to get into the car with any kind of dignity whatsoever.

flares.jpg

I have eventually finished and installed most of the woodwork. For a 10 day trip up-country to get a feel for the layout, I put a temporary top on the kitchen cupboard and installed the sink and induction stove. Since the water tank and pump was not working yet before we left, we did not use the sink, but we were very happy with its placement.

inside.jpg

The cooker however, will have to come out. I prepared one meal on it, but the amount of steam and oil spatter going up against the side of the tent was not a good idea! The next big project will thus be a table on the barn door for the induction plate. Cooking will be done outside from now on…

My mom made the most amazing curtains and my son did an excellent job of making a slide for the back fridge (both of which I will post pics of later :)).

Looking good - those flares make it look mean.

Does the wooden top above the fridge lift up so that you can get food out of there without opening the back doors and sliding the fridge out? I need to do something similar above my long pullout drawer where we store food, because if its not possible to go outside (lions, rain or terrorists!), I want to still eat lunch. We can access our fridge as there is nothing above it, but not the dry goods. Very good tip on the cooker - I was thinking of an induction plate, but maybe now not there.

Think we need to arrange a "meet in the park and compare toys" outing. Would love to actually see what you have done (although updates and pictures are good too.)

Cheers.

Looking good - those flares make it look mean.

Does the wooden top above the fridge lift up so that you can get food out of there without opening the back doors and sliding the fridge out? I need to do something similar above my long pullout drawer where we store food, because if its not possible to go outside (lions, rain or terrorists!), I want to still eat lunch. We can access our fridge as there is nothing above it, but not the dry goods. Very good tip on the cooker - I was thinking of an induction plate, but maybe now not there.

Think we need to arrange a "meet in the park and compare toys" outing. Would love to actually see what you have done (although updates and pictures are good too.)

Cheers.
Hi Wildphoto,

Yes, the top lifts up along the "longer" edge toward the left side, so we can open the fridge without having to slide it out. We really don't have (m)any toys to compare. What you see is pretty much what is in there. We still have to put in the water tank and all the solar electrics still has to be connected. Hopefully some of this will get done during the winter so that we will be fully travel ready by September - fingers crossed!

Reactions: RFB
I must admit that I am not too thrilled with the flares :cautious: I liked the 'naked' look much better - still do, but the wider tires kicked mud all the way along the body because they stick out by about 5cm :( Since the rims are in a dark grey, I am still considering changing the flares' color to dark grey as well. At the moment they are still shiny and new, but when they start getting scratches (soon) I will spray them.

I must admit that I am not too thrilled with the flares :cautious: I liked the 'naked' look much better - still do, but the wider tires kicked mud all the way along the body because they stick out by about 5cm :( Since the rims are in a dark grey, I am still considering changing the flares' color to dark grey as well. At the moment they are still shiny and new, but when they start getting scratches (soon) I will spray them.
Hello Troepadoer,
The flairs are practical, and to my eye at least, look good. Let them grow on you before you spray them. They look similar to mine, and I can report that the leading edges get pitted with road gravel and the sides do get "pin striped" by the bush - it all adds character. As for the "kitchen" splatter, I cook outside on a table or the drop-down read door shelf. The most I'll do "indoors" is brew some coffee.

How's everyone doing out there? Been very quiet lately.

We just did a trip to Kgalagadi, and how fantastic it is to camp in the Troopy. So many people complimenting us on the car too.

Polentswa was so special.

View attachment 1582336
Looks great I surely envy you boys in cape town would love to come out

Where can I get Side windows like this?

How's everyone doing out there? Been very quiet lately.

We just did a trip to Kgalagadi, and how fantastic it is to camp in the Troopy. So many people complimenting us on the car too.

Polentswa was so special.

View attachment 1582336

Hi fellow CTTC folks, how is everyone? Done any exciting fitments or trips lately? We have been a bit quiet, with some weekend camping near Worcester, Robertson, and the Cederberg.

Some pictures from my weekend adventures.

The middle picture shows my brother-in-law's self made camper out on its first trip. Very successful build - pity about the chassis it was built on :rofl:.

Maybe we should be doing a CTTC get together?

IMG_8526.jpg

IMG_8284 (1)_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8783.jpg

Oh, one alteration I did was to add a third LED brake light - makes it much easier to see me stopping ! Happily, the original brake light wire and plug is directly behind where I placed the light. Would have been ideal in the middle, but the bolts for the centre handle are not accessible.

Brake light.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom