Builds Cape Town Troop Carrier CTTC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Troopies don't go around things, they go straight over them !

No, there are lights in the wheel carrier - have a look at my post higher up on 8/2/2017 - just after it was fitted. They are combination LED turn and brake/driving lights.

Last edited:
Here's another shot, taken at Algeria camp site in the Cederberg.

You can see at least the righthand light, and the round reverse light.

IMG_8785.jpg

@wildphoto, without highjacking your post, can I ask your experiences with the Alucab bed system?

I have pop-top installed on my HZJ75 by the previous owner. Roof is fine, but the bed needs replacing. It currently consists of one long board, leaving a gap of approx 20cm between the board and the rear doors to climb up. Not ideal - makes climbing in and out a hassle, but i can't sacrifice the length of the bed as I'm 2m tall.

What I can see from the Alucab design is that it consists of two sections folding down, one from the rear, one from the front. Does this system work well? Looks perfect for comfortably climbing into bed and then closing the rear section for a full length bed of 220cm. However how does it work if one of the two needs to go to the toilet during the night or get up earlier in the morning? Does it mean both need to wake up to fold the rear section up? how much of a hassle is this?

Do you know how long is each section approximately is?

download.jpg

Hi there,

In my opinion, the bed works well, BUT, I agree it is only because 1) we are still thankfully pretty agile at climbing up onto the bed, 2) spinning around so that our heads at at the end where you climb up, and 3) we don't need to visit the loo at night. I can measure the sections tomorrow, but I would estimate they are 2,3m for the bed and 0,4m for the flap down part. Because the very front end where you feet are is where the hinges are, you need the full length for the sleeping part. We fold down the end flap, but our pillows don't usually go over it much (I am 1,9m tall), however you are right that you have to make sure your partner's pillow has not moved up there before opening the flap to go down below for either the toilet or to make coffee. If I could split that flap in two, that would be ideal.

That all said, I really am 200% happy with the solution and do already recommend it to anyone wanting a sleeping compartment that can be accessed for inside.

Shout if you want more detail.

@wildphoto, without highjacking your post, can I ask your experiences with the Alucab bed system?

I have pop-top installed on my HZJ75 by the previous owner. Roof is fine, but the bed needs replacing. It currently consists of one long board, leaving a gap of approx 20cm between the board and the rear doors to climb up. Not ideal - makes climbing in and out a hassle, but i can't sacrifice the length of the bed as I'm 2m tall.

What I can see from the Alucab design is that it consists of two sections folding down, one from the rear, one from the front. Does this system work well? Looks perfect for comfortably climbing into bed and then closing the rear section for a full length bed of 220cm. However how does it work if one of the two needs to go to the toilet during the night or get up earlier in the morning? Does it mean both need to wake up to fold the rear section up? how much of a hassle is this?

Do you know how long is each section approximately is?

View attachment 1689756
Hallo Paul! We love our bed!!! My husband is in the process of deviding the "small platform" in 2, because it can become irritating when one has to climb down in the middle of the night.

The small platform is 500mm wide and folds down onto the lip of the long platform. Have I mentioned how much we love our bed yet?

Thanks for replies, so the conclusion seems to be to devide the rear flap in two so you can individually go down, excellent, I'll start designing that for mine.

@wildphoto if it's not too much trouble, dimensions of the platforms and maybe a couple of photos of the details around the hinges, struts etc would we amazing. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi,

The overall external length is 2,8m. The small flap at the back is 500mm, the main bed part is 1765mm and the last fixed part of the bed where your feet (and hinges) are, is 300mm. The width of the main bed flap is 1150mm.

I'll try to upload some pictures soon.

Hi,

The overall external length is 2,8m. The small flap at the back is 500mm, the main bed part is 1765mm and the last fixed part of the bed where your feet (and hinges) are, is 300mm. The width of the main bed flap is 1150mm.

I'll try to upload some pictures soon.

Excellent info! Thanks @wildphoto

I never realised the main bed section consists of two parts, I always assumed it hinged all the way forwards near the roof hinges. Is there a benefit to this design? Possibly to not squash your mattress etc?

Do you fix your bed to the roof so they open together or do you first open the roof and then move the bed up? Reversed, how do you close the roof? With the bedding in place you can't reach the roof to pull it down, so I assume you need to close it from the outside?

Good question on why its not hinged near the same point as the roof. I am not sure. It does not make any difference to the mattress. Maybe it is to make it lighter for the gas struts to hold up?

The roof opens first from the outside, and then the bed and small flap lifts up so that you can stand under it, just about all the way from behind the front seats. The key reason (I think) for not pulling the roof down from inside (which you could do), is that you still have to assist the bungee cords to pull all the side canvas into the middle so that they don't stick out the sides when closed. Although the bungee does a good job, there is still some of the heavy canvas that gets in the way of the seals. In an emergency, I suppose you could close it enough to drive away from maybe an unsafe place, but you would need to make some clasp to keep it closed from the inside.

I recently installed the AlucCab on a bj75. I'm interested to know how or if you split the access door into two pieces so you can go downstairs without having to wake your partner.

Unfortunately the way that flap is structured, its strength is by virtue of it being supported on the two sides, ie there is nothing in the middle holding it up, so whatever is done, it needs central support. That's why I have not bothered to do mine (yet).

Peter

Rodney, I'm happy to help you draw up what needs to be done. Peter is correct that it needs some support in the middle but I have a solution sketched out....

Hi Mookies,

I am sure there are many people interested in your solution, as I am. Please let us know what you have in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom