How to-install Soft Top Grommets with punch tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I bought the hardware for my PAKI top I bought the punch tool so I thought I'd show how it works

First fit the top on and adjust as needed

Line up your holes with a little tension--I just punched through with this awl
IMGP2666.jpg
IMGP2667.jpg
IMGP2669.jpg

next

Line up one of your grommets and make marks with the 4 prongs to line up your punch.

I put the hole a little off center towards the bottom so when the grommet is installed it gives a little more tension---but just a little not too much

Once the marks are made lay the canvas over the end grain part of a 4x4 (use the end grain only so the tool sinks in easily)
IMGP2671.JPG
IMGP2676.jpg
IMGP2674.jpg

punch it

next take the punch tool and line it up with the 4 prong marks and give it a whack with a hamer
IMGP2673.JPG
IMGP2677.JPG
IMGP2678.jpg

install the grommet

Next line up the outer grommet and install the 4 prongs through the punched holes
IMGP2680.JPG
IMGP2682.JPG
IMGP2683.JPG

washer

with the grommet in place flip it over and install the washer, use the end of the punch tool and bend the prongs from the outer grommet over the washer

install the turn fastener with the oval horizontal
IMGP2688.jpg
IMGP2689.jpg
IMGP2694.jpg

Tighten it up

Tighten the nut with a 10mm

check progress and fit as you go
IMGP2696.jpg
IMGP2701.JPG

corner

When you do the windshield corner line up the hole but do not add tension to this corner--- it is easy to rip. You could just use a bolt and washer here too.

note the v pen lines I undid the fold seam or it just would not reach the corner

and a couple misc pics
IMGP2704.jpg
IMGP2702.jpg
IMGP2706.jpg

misc pics

and a few more

Remember I said BE CAREFUL in the corner, mine ripped so I sewed in a patch using needle and thread and canvas on both sides and some gasket sealer in the middle. Dont pull on the grommet! IF you have to pull----pull on the material behind it and get it completely lined up okay?

Have to do until I can get a professional repair done:frown:
bummer on the tear but I figure it could use reinforcing anyway so a double or triple layer is in store for the corner when I can get it to the boat shop
IMGP2705.jpg
IMGP2708.jpg
IMGP2707.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for such an informative post.. Its wonderful to see the top on. Also.. The tear at the front corner was the first reported so far. Even then I will have this issue discussed with my upholstery guy priority one tomorrow. We will see how we can strengthen this part to improve the quality further.
Thank you again for the feedback.
Ehsan

Thank you for such an informative post.. Its wonderful to see the top on. Also.. The tear at the front corner was the first reported so far. Even then I will have this issue discussed with my upholstery guy priority one tomorrow. We will see how we can strengthen this part to improve the quality further.
Thank you again for the feedback.
Ehsan

not to hijack this thread but, my top also popped the seam on the left front corner.... not a big deal but enough to make me bang my head against the wall.

repair

I think a little dog ear repair will work with three layers of material maybe all folded under to keep the edges clean

The rh corner v fold pretty much fell apart without unreasonable force probably worth giving these a tug to check em when they are made

I think one thing that made have made it a little tight in the front is how far the front sticks out---the metal bar that mounts along the top is all the way back but now thinking about it I might have trimmed the edge to move that back towards the windshield
a tad and that may have given me a little more slack across the front?

as you can see Eshan is looking at it---so maybe new ones will come reinforced

It tore because i grabbed the grommet and pulled on it so that was my bad---I should of pulled on the material behind the grommet and thought about it a little but it did surprise me when it tore out ---ever see a grown man throwing a temper tantrum in his driveway-----it aint pretty!:lol::lol:

but hopefully the post will help someone else out

and besides the oops the top looks:bounce::bounce2::bounce::grinpimp::cool:
IMGP2707.jpg

Last edited:
bsmith,

Thanks for posting this up! I just got a canvas pakistan top and I was wondering what I needed to do.

One quick question, where can I find one of those punch tools you used?

Thanks,
Phil

Nice writeup and pics :)

its a good idea to mention that you dont want the top to be really tight when putting the grommets on...I see yours is just right...alil tension is ok...alot is really bad

The canvas tops will tighten up overtime...and if you go to tight now...it will be REALLY tight later.

Last edited:
Yep, thanks for the post! Where'd you get the grommets and tool?

tool and grommets

sorry guys I missed all the questions when I get home I can post up where I got the tool and grommets

IDave you need some grommets? I have extras

If anyone wants to borrow the tool they would need to send me a self addressed stamped mailing container and I'll mail it to them.;)

If you do not return it I will make a voodoo cruiser from my diecast model and curse you with a thousand electrical gremlins and cast thy tub into saltwater;p----just saying

IDave you need some grommets? I have extras

I'm good, thanks!

If you do not return it I will make a voodoo cruiser from my diecast model and curse you with a thousand electrical gremlins and cast thy tub into saltwater;p----just saying

:eek:

B,
Great thread BTW. This is an object lesson in the power of the search button.:D I just got my OCD beetle top and so I was searching for the how to install info.

Re: the tool that you used I hit the link provided and came up with five pages of tools. Was it this one in particular?

Hole Cutter for Common Sense Eyelet or Twist-Lock

Re: Twist locks and Grommets:
I see this two screw model but not the single screw model that you posted up using. Am I just looking in the wrong place?

Common Sense Cloth-to-Surface Complete With 2 Screw Stud

Again. nice write up. Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't have a Paki top or a ocdbeetle top yet. But the old Kayline tops I do have use a snap in the corner of the windshield. Four tops, three Kayline and one I don't know. All have a snap in that location. Might be a better option than poking a hole for the twist lock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom