Builds: Project “Where to even begin...” (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jesus888

SILVER Star
Threads
First of all... this project name MAY change at some point but for now... we’re sticking with “Where to begin...”

A little history, in 2005 I did a frame off with a close friend *he was the talented one* on a 1969 Bronco and spent A LOT of money (almost all on parts) and about 5 years worth of weekends to create something special... my introduction to forums and what they can make you buy. I did EVERYTHING you could possibly do to an Early Bronco and although it was a beautiful rig at the end... I was SO scared that something (all of it custom) would go wrong and now that I’m in Atlanta, I wouldn’t have my friend or his tools to help... every new noise or creak made me nervous something was going to happen... and with a baby coming, I made a rash decision and sold it (for a bunch of money at least)

Pictures of Early Bronco:

Then fast forward to my kiddo being 4 years old... me finishing up a divorce from his mama... and I had a wild hair to get something fun and I found this FJ40 (my first) and it was built by BTB back in 2000... I met the original owner who got all the work done and I flew out to Monterey, CA from Atlanta, GA and drove it back... yeah... I drove it back... it was an epic journey and I only did it because I had some time, and it was in great shape. I figured, worst case, if it breaks down I’d ship it from there for a little less money... lucky for me, it made it the whole way. Some time after that... I threw it up on the inter webs and got an offer that I couldn’t refuse, plus we all know how fun “the chase” is, and I felt like it was the right time, so Ol Whitey made her way to a very nice fella in Pensacola (that still sends me pictures of his adventures along with how happy he is with her)

Pictures of Ol Whitey:

And now... like just now... like 3 hrs ago... my new (to me) FJ40 arrived from Auburn, CA... some of you all may have seen it buried in the classifieds... I then saw it on eBay and the owner (a reseller - not the owner that actually drove it) and I came to a fair deal, in my opinion... I felt like I made out a little better based on the lack of rust (except for bottom of door frames) and the fact that it runs and drives fine but this one looks like it’s gonna need some real work/attention... Still haven’t given her a name... I feel like that’ll come to me when the time is right.

Here are my first questions... After piddling around for about 30 minutes and getting used to the excessive play in the steering, I opened the hood up and tried to pinpoint the issue... it seems that the part that is circled is spinning about a 1/4 turn on the steering gear input shaft either direction before the input shaft turns... What’s that all about? Is there a set screw of sorts that goes here? Also with the age on the whole steering linkage, wanted to know if anyone could point me in the direction of what to purchase to just replace all of this with NEW parts?

My goals are to:
  • Update the rig mechanically to be as reliable and driveable as possible. My last FJ40 had an EFI 350 and an nv4500 which were both AMAZING to drive but I’m OK with keeping current driveline in as good a shape as I can make it.
  • Update suspension/tires/wheels to make it a little more friendly on the road because I’m well aware that at least 80% of the driving time will be on the road and almost NONE will be hardcore wheeling
  • Cosmetics... I’d like to put as much elbow grease as I can into doing what I can for the interior before I ultimately most likely pay someone to paint it...
I need to know WHAT you experts see when you look at this FJ40... is that a stock suspension just done SOA? I want to figure out what ALL is stock and what is aftermarket and given all of those things what is the BEST way to alter those things to get to my goals...

Is that the stock carb?
Are those brakes off of a different year Cruiser?
What the thing on the passenger side fender?
What’s the plastic bottle up front supposed to be hooked to? Is that a radiator overflow?
What kind of headlights are those (with built in non-functioning at the moment blinkers)
Does anyone know whose rig this once was?
Is there a headlight harness I should be buying? Or should I just buy a full harness with upgraded headlight portion, seems
Like stuff is hacked up a lot?
It’s I’m worn down 37s at the moment... I suppose 35s are in the cards next, I’m hoping that’ll help with the gearing a bit since the motor is screaming at 30mph in 3rd gear (or is that normal??)
We measured center to center at 99”+ which makes me happy for driveability sake but is that just because of the SOA?

I have soooo many questions and y’all have all the answers... I promise to fill this thread full of pictures and all I ask is for y’all expertise

I'll put my questions here if any of the experts care to share...
  • Is that the stock carb?
  • Are those brakes off of a different year Cruiser?
  • What the thing on the passenger side fender?
  • What’s the plastic bottle up front supposed to be hooked to? Is that a radiator overflow?
  • What kind of headlights are those (with built in non-functioning at the moment blinkers)
  • Does anyone know whose rig this once was?
  • Is there a headlight harness I should be buying? Or should I just buy a full harness with upgraded headlight portion, seems
  • Like stuff is hacked up a lot?
  • It’s I’m worn down 37s at the moment... I suppose 35s are in the cards next, I’m hoping that’ll help with the gearing a bit since the motor is screaming at 30mph in 3rd gear (or is that normal??)
  • We measured center to center at 99”+ which makes me happy for driveability sake but is that just because of the SOA?
  • Steering: Is there a set screw of sorts that goes here? Also with the age on the whole steering linkage, wanted to know if anyone could point me in the direction of what to purchase to just replace all of this with NEW parts?

Also I noticed something peculiar... that the dash was welded onto the body (that ain’t right, right?) and then the “fasten seat belts” light plus the door handles on the door cards... they ALL seem like they come from a significantly newer FJ40, right?

EB58EF36-CE08-4FD0-813C-977045C800E6.jpeg
00C1E1F1-25E7-4B49-8FBC-FF38E1AFBCF7.jpeg
0911D2AD-FDF2-47C5-87BA-82781E252D15.jpeg
12151518-BC66-4B71-8C5D-FBF3665B014E.jpeg

Also I noticed something peculiar... that the dash was welded onto the body (that ain’t right, right?) and then the “fasten seat belts” light plus the door handles on the door cards... they ALL seem like they come from a significantly newer FJ40, right?

View attachment 1847974 View attachment 1847975 View attachment 1847976 View attachment 1847977
  • Is that the stock carb? Yes, AFI makes a EFI kit if your interested
  • Are those brakes off of a different year Cruiser? Rear are aftermarket disc conversion
  • What the thing on the passenger side fender? Ignition coil
  • What’s the plastic bottle up front supposed to be hooked to? Is that a radiator overflow? Radiator overflow, hose goes from radiator to bottom of bottle
  • What kind of headlights are those (with built in non-functioning at the moment blinkers) Generic aftermarket lights
  • Does anyone know whose rig this once was? No
  • Is there a headlight harness I should be buying? Or should I just buy a full harness with upgraded headlight portion, seems
  • Like stuff is hacked up a lot? Looks like some hacking but may be able to save the harness, @Coolerman makes new harnesses, turn signals are supposed to be on the fenders.
  • It’s I’m worn down 37s at the moment... I suppose 35s are in the cards next, I’m hoping that’ll help with the gearing a bit since the motor is screaming at 30mph in 3rd gear (or is that normal??) Smaller tires will make it scream more, they may have installed too low of gears in the differentials, may want to put higher gears in the diffs like 4.11s
  • We measured center to center at 99”+ which makes me happy for driveability sake but is that just because of the SOA? Looks like front and rear leaf springs have been flipped 180 which lengthens the wheelbase. I would leave the rear but make sure it has a traction bar, the front I would weld on adjustable spring perches and move the axle back an inch for better looks.
  • Steering: Is there a set screw of sorts that goes here? Also with the age on the whole steering linkage, wanted to know if anyone could point me in the direction of what to purchase to just replace all of this with NEW parts? Flaming river and Borgeson make new steering shafts. Dash is welded on from factory, looks like it's a 77 model year. Interior looks normal for a 77. Not sure what they drilled the hole in the cowl for, I would weld it up. If it's too tall u could have alcan make u some stock leaf springs with reverse eyes for fj60 bushings and would lower it about 1.5". I would install some bud built rear quarters that have the opening moved back 3" for a better quarter panel cut.

Anyone in/around Atlanta want to help me determine what steering box I have so I can get this steering shaft squared away? Folks at SOR said that it was unlikely a stock setup...

Looks like an FJ60 box from my phone. That’s a desirable setup that could be made better with some changes to the intermediate shaft.

I like the sound of that... but I still have NO IDEA what to do to help with that intermediate shaft... point me to a resource?

mud has a lot of answers if you dig, I forget that myself sometimes. I'm doing research myself. have been before I even took the plunge on my cruiser. look threw build threads, tech threads, even for sale threads. its out there.

I like the sound of that... but I still have NO IDEA what to do to help with that intermediate shaft... point me to a resource?

Google “fj60 power steering conversion ih8mud”. There are a few threads in the FAQ stickies. You will probably want to make sure the complete steering setup is in good shape. The intermediate looks kind of goofy, the rest of it may be similar.

20035267-28F7-4652-AF9D-EB511D5A27D5.jpeg
C22DF2CC-04E2-47D7-843C-558CD47A26EB.jpeg
BEB95593-0B3B-4A83-82AE-24A2480954B5.jpeg
E5075D61-DCF7-4E38-A2B3-20A7CA38156F.jpeg
F07CE486-1634-4989-BEBF-925ADB875521.jpeg

OK... so update... found the original builder of the rig and got A LOT of useful information...

Also, I took apart/removed the steering shaft because that’s the current piece that’s causing me to NOT want to drive this thing at the moment (a little too much slop and don’t feel safe).

PO confirmed that it’s a steering box from an FJ60 and the Column is stock FJ40 from 77/78 FJ40 and that the current setup is a collection of mini-truck rag joints ETC... I’m attaching pictures of what I’m taking out and asking... what’s the best way to fix this/make it more of a safe/less joints situation? I know Borgeson may be an option? I just wanted to have an idea if there were options that were cheaper but just as good? Measurement is from tip of the steering box shaft to the end of the FJ40 column...

You can use a 60 series steering colum shaft (the part that is in the column). There's a John Deere bearing thats a perfect fit for the end of the FJ40 column, and the end of the shaft goes right onto the FJ60 box. You may need to space the box out from the frame a bit for clearance (about 5/16" in my case).
Here is the bearing:
20181115_200523.jpg

The FJ60 column shaft before cutting the steering wheel end off:
20181115_200516.jpg

And the final installation:
20181207_093949.jpg
20181207_094022.jpg

@Kleatus That’s a fantastic approach/solution to my problem... would you happen to have part numbers? Or just like details about exactly what I need to be looking for? And what I need to fabricate? It seems like that’s basically like I have closer to the steering box... but the termination from the actual FJ40 column on my truck does NOT look like yours...

What you did, though, looks CLEAN and free of unnecessary joints!

@Kleatus That’s a fantastic approach/solution to my problem... would you happen to have part numbers? Or just like details about exactly what I need to be looking for? And what I need to fabricate? It seems like that’s basically like I have closer to the steering box... but the termination from the actual FJ40 column on my truck does NOT look like yours...

What you did, though, looks CLEAN and free of unnecessary joints!
Yes, it looks different as you cut the end off the original FJ40 steering column (the piece that goes into the rag joint - it's not shown in my photos as it was already removed). You then cut the splined end off of the FJ60 steering shaft where the steering wheel went (where I'm holding it in the second picture before I cut it off.) Weld that end to the original column stub, after instling the bearing and the firewall plate on the original column. Wrap a wet rag around the U-joint so you dont cook all the grease out of the bearings when you weld it on. The other end fits right onto the 60 series steering box. There are several inches of mobility in the sliding joint in the FJ60 steering column, so ut can collapse in a crash. There are plastic rivets that hold it at a certain length, which are easily removed. This is what gives you the movement you need to allow some flex between the body and frame. I don't have any part numbers for you, but if you find a steering column shaft from a 60 series I believe they are all the same. The bearing for the FJ40 column I got from Amazon, they are 3/4" ID and 1 3/8" OD with a lip on one end. They are used in riding mowers and wheelbarrows.

I can't take credit for this, many others have done it and I got the idea from someone else here on Mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom