Build - 1978 Mustard: Refresh & Updating (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been over a year since I picked up my FJ, slowly been working on developing a plan on my vision for my truck. COVID through a wrench in all this, but have finally gotten around to beginning work and wanted to begin documenting for myself...and anyone else that might be interested.

History
-1978 FJ40 Mustard (color code: 532) with a 10/77 build-date
-One owner, 87k miles
-Truck spent it's life in Arizona and was primarily used as a farm/hunting truck (see holes on passenger side from gun rack :rolleyes:)

Goal
-Update the vehicle from a safety and reliability perspective
-Keep the patina and 'aged' look of the vehicle; but clean up as much as possible
-Keep mostly OEM; with some aftermarket updates
-Be able to use with the wife and young twins for weekend trips around town, errands, etc.

Photos of the truck from when it was purchased (August 2019):

IMG_5134.JPG
IMG_5131.JPG
IMG_5135.JPG
IMG_5132.JPG

Updates as of October 2020
-After a thorough once over, the vehicle had a host of mechanical items addressed; this included:
  • Fresh fluids
  • Knuckle rebuild
  • Oil pump cover and front main seal replacement
  • Steering joints
  • New OEM Radiator overflow container
  • Mini-truck power steering
In addition to the mechanical items being sorted, also updated a few items:
  • Replaced the non-OEM wheels that came with the truck with OEM 16" wheels with 33 x 10.5s
  • OME 2" light lift kit
  • New weatherstripping for the front and ambulance doors as well as kick vents
  • OEM front bumper and rear bumperettes
  • New OEM rear lights + gaskets
  • Cleaned up the front and rear frame with some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator & Exterior Chassis (Gloss black)
  • New Side Mirrors
  • OEM Shift knob
  • New windshield Rest blocks
  • OEM windshield/hood latch
  • OEM hood catch
Here are some recent pics of Mustard and the progress; also had the truck cleaned up and the original paint has some shine to it, nothing amazing, but cleaned up pretty good for a truck that spent 40+ years in the desert

IMG_3160.jpg
IMG_3161.jpg
IMG_3162.jpg

And gotta show some love for Mustards sibling...as well as the Capital Land Cruiser Club

IMG_3163.jpg

Last edited:
Love it, subscribed!

I didn't realize the kick vents (in the front?) have weatherstripping or do you mean the windows in the back? If the ones in the back, was it tough to get it to stay put when installing?

Fall/Winter plans include tackling the interior and getting some seat belts in it (all were missing when I purchased the vehicle???).

Also, can anybody assist with what these two unhooked green plugs are for on either side of the engine bay?

Drivers Side
IMG_3157.jpg

Passenger Side
IMG_3158.jpg

Last edited:
Love it, subscribed!

I didn't realize the kick vents (in the front?) have weatherstripping or do you mean the windows in the back? If the ones in the back, was it tough to get it to stay put when installing?

Yes...the ones in the front; it may not necessarily be weatherstripping, it's more of a foam material. You can find here: Weatherstrip - Seal Kick Vent - Pair

I'm meaning to get to the pop-out windows in the back and replace the weatherstripping...I imagine it would be hard to do, will keep you updated if/when I tackle that

Finally was able to finish up the last part of the bumper/frame refresh today before grabbing the kids from school. Had to wire wheel the hook, then coat with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator and then the Chassis Black to match the frame.

Ran to the hardware store to try to get some new stainless steel bolts to make it shine, but no luck so wire-wheeled the old bolts/nuts....which turned out pretty well.

Very happy with the Eastwood products and how the frame cleaned up; now to figure out a few small projects for this week. Pics, because w/o them it didn't happen.

Before hook:
IMG_3168.jpg

Hook on; front bumper/frame refresh complete:
IMG_3169.jpg

Bolt orientation because of lack of nut access on rear bolt? Not seen that orientation before.

Bolt orientation because of lack of nut access on rear bolt? Not seen that orientation before.
I remember having to use a stick and tape to hold the nut to get it started and a 'modified' wrench to tighten the nut and bolt on my Saginaw.

Didn't realize it was incorrect; I think this is how the PO had it so I just assumed it was correct and re-installed. I do imagine it would be difficult as @flee noted.

Does anyone have a correct picture of how the bolts should be?

Beautiful truck...she looks perfect!

Getting there...lots to do but definitely happening with how she's coming along. Thanks!

Had some spare time this weekend and needed to keep the kids occupied, so followed @DomSmith thread and cleaned up the interior pull knobs.

Not perfect, but kids got a kick out of cleaning the knobs and then using the paint pen on them. One note for anyone tackling this, I wasn't able to get the paint off using Simple Green so had to take some nail polish remover to get the excess off.

Not perfect...but turned out pretty well and definitely an improvement.

Before:
IMG_3170.jpg

After:
IMG_3175.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

Been slow in posting, but have been focusing on some updates over the past few weeks.

First off; took the seat frames and wire-wheeled and then re-painted in black...not a ton of work but looks 100% better than how they looked after 42 years of use and light rust. Forgot to grab a before photo, but I'm sure we all know what our seat frames looks like.
IMG_3262.jpg

IMG_3263.jpg

Got an OEM antenna; the truck was missing one when I bought it so fills in the holes and cleans it up...no radio (currently), so all for show :rolleyes:
IMG_3258.jpg

IMG_3259.jpg

The original dash after spending 42 years in the Arizona sun had cracked and looked absolutely horrible. Got the FJ40Dash.com replacement and looks great...my dash knobs were cracked and one fell apart completely during removal, so will be picking up some new dash knobs in the next few weeks.
IMG_3282.jpg

Replaced the original turn signals with new ones; the old ones were cracked, pretty fogged up and missing a reflector. Nice and clean...hoping to stay that way for a while
IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

Also got a some sound/heat insulation and started that install process up-front along with a City Racer floormat. Haven't driven the truck yet to see how noticeable (if at all) the sound/heat insulation will do, but the new mat looks 100%
IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3288.jpg

I'll be putting insulation in the back as well, so another project for later this week or weekend.

It's supposed to be warm here in Virginia the next few days so am planning on painting the 16" steelies the correct Grey (Machine Grey)....pics coming soon (hopefully)

Looks like great preservation work here. If you're bored, you might remove and repaint the TOYOTA front grille emblem, using satin black for the background and Ford Wimbledon white for the letters. It's a booger to remove unless you tilt the bib forward or remove the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom