BudBuilt 200 Series Skid Plates, Sliders, High Clearance Rear Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would venture to guess any much more of an angle would interfere with the door opening.

Right. You obviously don't want the sliders so close that they can flex into the body or so high that you can't open the door. I'm just curious if 20* is the angle where that starts happening, because from pics of @Taco2Cruiser 's truck that doesn't seem to be the case.

Sorry for the delay. Talked to Bud earlier and he said that just three people should benefit a little on doing freight, but the savings are even more significant with 4 or more sets of sliders/skids. How many people do we have shipping to SoCal so far?

hey guys,
fellow lurker here, i'm in socal, and can be the 4th man for some Skids.

Right. You obviously don't want the sliders so close that they can flex into the body or so high that you can't open the door. I'm just curious if 20* is the angle where that starts happening, because from pics of @Taco2Cruiser 's truck that doesn't seem to be the case.
I know what you mean, from some angles they look like they could go higher. In fact I even mentioned that to Bud when I first saw them.
But the real angle interference is the rear of the rocker panel when angling up for rock sliders. The doors will never be the issue on a 200 because of the frame/body design. (Ever wonder why 200 Series door sills are lower than the footwell? It's because unlike every other car on the road, the frame is already tucked as high up into the body as possible. Next time you look at a wrangler, look at how much frame hangs below the rockers, then look at even Tacoma/4runners. The 200 was much better engineered from the get go to tuck stuff up high)

Back to rock sliders. While the main tube is about 3/4" to the body, anything less than 1/2" could deflect into the rocker. It doesn't matter how good you make the mounting design, even though BudBuilts are the most robust mounting design in the industry, and it's easy to see why. Running the main tube closer is doing to allow contact. So with that main tube where is needs to be for hard rock crawling, angling up to the max, but allowing for another 3/4" clearance to the side of the rocker came out to the angle it is.

You could make it angle further. Just some cuttting of the rocker panel cover, not the rocker itself could yield a few more degrees. But figured most people don't want to modify their trucks and just bolt on. Which is why his slider are no-drill, 100% bolt on.

Just like the upcoming rear bumper, that has both a 100% bolt on version, and a "not for the faint of heart" frame cutting version that really bumps up the clearance. And that is in 2 versions. Cut off some meaningless metal tabs that don't do anything structurally and just help with the plastic bumper cover, and version that is full blown frame cutting and welding that gives significant departure improvement. So maybe a small cutting for more clearance version could happen in the slider department in the future.

I think this picture shows best the angle can't go any higher, and safely maintain body clearance when falling off trail ledges and slamming into the outer tube. Notice the very back of the rocker panel and the outer tube clearance.
IMG_0442.JPG

Last edited:
With that design, yeah I see what you mean. My Trail Tailors come straight out from the frame then angle up once it's past the rocker, in which case any more angle would interfere with the door as opposed to rocker.
Exactly. Trail Taylor is using longer legs and going less ground clearance under the main tube, but then that design could allow for them much higher outer tub angles.

Bud choose to keep the main tube as high as possible but also not go past the seam, and start angling up the outer tube sooner. Plus with the 6 leg design Bud does, the rear leg, which is behind the rear lower control arm bracket and second to the rear leg is ontop of the rear lower control arm bracket (yea, take that deflection!) makes it to where in Buds design, if you got the main tube out past the weld seam, then too much ground clearance was lost, and unnecessary hang ups start happening.

Got my sliders on order the other day! Essentially what @Taco2Cruiser is running in these photos. I have an irrational fear of crushing rocker panels.... Still working on that with my therapist!:coffee:

I've been holding off on ordering to make sure the Breck guys get theirs, but planning to order soon... do we have 4 in the Atlanta area interested in saving some shipping? Might not be that big a deal since Bud is close, but might as well save where we can if we have the 4 orders?

Wow, this thread was moved to the group buy section. I don't think this should have been moved since it's not a group buy? It's an informative topic just like all the other ones for Slee, ARB, and other parts made for the 200 series...

Sorry for the delay. Talked to Bud earlier and he said that just three people should benefit a little on doing freight, but the savings are even more significant with 4 or more sets of sliders/skids. How many people do we have shipping to SoCal so far?
Count me in.

Wow, this thread was moved to the group buy section. I don't think this should have been moved since it's not a group buy? It's an informative topic just like all the other ones for Slee, ARB, and other parts made for the 200 series...

I agree. I'm subscribed to this thread to gain information about the options for a build but I'm not involved in a group buy. Just trying to get as much info as I can about these rigs. For those not already subscribed it will not be easily found.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey guys, to help with expectation management a bit. The first run of sliders went out last week. The first run of skid plates, one part in particular really, were not fit for the BudBuilt name. Just being honest, precision mean a lot to Bud, and what looked like a solid skid, was not refined enough for you to spend money on.

As everyone also knows, unless you have a product that is being picked up for shipment within 2 business days, no one has, or will be charged for anything. So as of now, the only people who have been charged, have sliders in their possession.

As far as grouping together on shipping, it's been said, but to reemphasize. Bud will take an order to build, nothing is charged till it's built, and should there be multiple buyers in a relatively close area, then we'll see if the buyer want to work together on shipping. Or if people call and state that they want to be on the same shipping pallet.

The reason no one has been called about skids, is because skids are not ready to be shipped.

For call backs, this is only for 200 stuff, Bud is personnaly calling people, and if you've put in an order, he will explain the lead times, or I will send messages like this one or to personal emails.

Bud has been quite sick lately, and I'm an active duty Army Infantry Officer. I'm actually not anywhere close to you guys right now, but satellite internet is an amazing resource. This isn't an excuse, just helping paint the picture. This all really started because I wanted to just let this 200 forum know about some cool stuff, earlier than normal. I hope that makes sense.

I know how frustrating it can be, trust me, I wish I could be there and just help out. But as Bud has explained, putting an order in is simply stating what you want, giving a shipping address, and having a card on file. You will not be charged unless you give the final, "yes, ship it to me."

No commitments required, no punishments for backing out.

It's looking like I'll be back the beginning of next month, and will be at the shop probably the 3rd and 4th to "relax" a bit.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, just bear in mind I don't have constant internet access right now.

Rob

Ditto, beginning to question the purchase? Will try again later today

Bud's products are solid so I wouldn't question the quality. I had them on a previous vehicle and many friends love his stuff too. He's been very busy catching up after being sick and hope he's feeling better now. It's a small shop so replies may take a while if he's got a lot of people to call back.

I would like to thank Rob and Obi for all their help in trying to move this along. Think I will hang in for a few more weeks to see if the issues can be mitigated. On the bright side at least Bud didn't just start shipping away and say "they're yours now deal with it" like 99.9% of other Co.'s do (ARB). So while disappointed I'll stay the course realizing quality surpasses quickness. Again Thanks guys!!

Hey guys, to help with expectation management a bit. The first run of sliders went out last week. The first run of skid plates, one part in particular really, were not fit for the BudBuilt name. Just being honest, precision mean a lot to Bud, and what looked like a solid skid, was not refined enough for you to spend money on.

As everyone also knows, unless you have a product that is being picked up for shipment within 2 business days, no one has, or will be charged for anything. So as of now, the only people who have been charged, have sliders in their possession.

As far as grouping together on shipping, it's been said, but to reemphasize. Bud will take an order to build, nothing is charged till it's built, and should there be multiple buyers in a relatively close area, then we'll see if the buyer want to work together on shipping. Or if people call and state that they want to be on the same shipping pallet.

The reason no one has been called about skids, is because skids are not ready to be shipped.

For call backs, this is only for 200 stuff, Bud is personnaly calling people, and if you've put in an order, he will explain the lead times, or I will send messages like this one or to personal emails.

Bud has been quite sick lately, and I'm an active duty Army Infantry Officer. I'm actually not anywhere close to you guys right now, but satellite internet is an amazing resource. This isn't an excuse, just helping paint the picture. This all really started because I wanted to just let this 200 forum know about some cool stuff, earlier than normal. I hope that makes sense.

I know how frustrating it can be, trust me, I wish I could be there and just help out. But as Bud has explained, putting an order in is simply stating what you want, giving a shipping address, and having a card on file. You will not be charged unless you give the final, "yes, ship it to me."

No commitments required, no punishments for backing out.

It's looking like I'll be back the beginning of next month, and will be at the shop probably the 3rd and 4th to "relax" a bit.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, just bear in mind I don't have constant internet access right now.

Rob

@Taco2Cruiser, first off, thanks for your service to this country. I realize that this is not your full time job, so, as has been expressed in this forum previously, thanks for guiding this process along. I'm sure that Budbuilt is a standup company, and he has contacted me a few times in last month about the skids. I'm ok with waiting if the others in So Cal are willing to save a bit on shipping. I hope that Bud recovers in the near future from his medical condition not just for his business, but also for his family. Again, thanks, and I'm looking forward to hearing back on the progress of what is sure to be an excellent product that is worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom