BudBuilt 200 Series Skid Plates, Sliders, High Clearance Rear Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lead time is honestly about 6 weeks out, but might be even longer. Another huge shipment of metal came in yesterday, and we found "Made in India" on a coupe pieces. So that all has to go back, only USA steel comes into this shop. So there adds another week to ensure the right raw material.

You would just need to call the shop and place an "order." But nothing will be charged and you'll still get a call when they are done to make sure you still want them. No commitment at all.
The reason is because there has been a rather overwhelming response for Bud armor, and with even trying to deter orders by stopping quick online purchases, they are still coming in.

Bud has a few more fabricator/welder interviews next week, but he's turned down over 35 guys that got to actually get a chance to build in front of him. He really needs probably two more guys, but if they are not up to standard, then lead times stay where they are at with his current crew.

Guess I'll wait a couple of months to order and things finally get organized

I spoke with Rob today while he was helping in Bud's shop and received great information and help in deciding my best alternatives for skids and sliders. What a great friend for Bud helping to provide the great customer service for which he's known. Many thanks Rob!

Skid and Slider (.120 DOM) Weights

3/16" Steel and Stainless Steel (lbs)
Front: 31
Engine: 45
Trans: 52
T-Case: 30
Crossmember: 15
Fuel: 55

1/8" Lite Steel (lbs)
Front: N/A (1/8" not suitable for front skid, will be made only in 3/16" Steel, Stainless Steel, or 1/4" Aluminum)
Engine: 30
Trans: 34
T-Case: 20
Fuel: 37

1/4" Aluminum (lbs)
Front: 14
Engine: 21
Trans: 25
T-Case: 14
Fuel: 26

Rock Sliders, .120 DOM, with Kicker, with Full Fill Plates, Dimple Die Down, Powder Coated: 70 lbs (no hardware)

For reference, the stock fuel tank skid is 17 lbs.

For Skid Stages:
Stage 1: Front, Engine
Stage 2: Front, Engine, Trans
Stage 3: Front, Engine, Trans, T-Case, Crossmember
Stage 4: Front, Engine, Trans, T-Case, Crossmember, Fuel

Last edited:
IMG_0602.JPG

Here you can see the "2.0" engine and T-Case skids. You guys like the new engine oil drain plug door!?
Front, transmission, and fuel tank are done. I drove my truck home with the fuel tank on last week.
That engine skid is not welded yet or has the mounting system installed, and the t-case skid has a couple refinements for increased strength and looks.
IMG_0592.JPG

Works with all other slider manufactures. Probably should of cleaned it before taking a picture.
IMG_0580.JPG

None stop building, Stephen welding 3 pairs of sliders at the same time. He has three setups, and just works between them as the other two cool. Chip is on the other side of a partition doing the same thing.
Right now, they are pumping about 2 pairs of sliders a day, in addition to skids. Bud makes armor on almost every Toyota since '76. So there are a lot of other orders aiding in the lead times.

Last edited:
is anything happening with the rear bumper?

is anything happening with the rear bumper?
It's on a hold for a couple months. These skids and sliders, along with other vehicle armor needs to get out the door. Plus we are experimenting with a plastic molding manufacture for custom fender liners.

Sigh, stupid section to find this thread. Anyway, I talked to Bud and those in the SoCal area who would like to group up orders and save some on shipping, just let him know. That way, he can build them closer together and then ship them out.

Have three orders so far so the more the merrier to save on shipping.

Sigh, stupid section to find this thread. Anyway, I talked to Bud and those in the SoCal area who would like to group up orders and save some on shipping, just let him know. That way, he can build them closer together and then ship them out.

Have three orders so far so the more the merrier to save on shipping.
will give them a call this week. Guess i never actually ordered the sliders (outside of mentioning i'm interested in this thread)

Man, I couldn't find this thread...and it turns out that's because it got mod-yanked from the only forum it pertains to...the 200 Series forum! Only reason I found it was a guy PMed me asking if I knew of a way to put it back. Never would have found it three layers deep...

Very frustrating.

I wish we'd wait for complaints...because not only have there been none I've ever read...but guys are asking via PM what happened, and if it can be put back.

Last edited:
These look awesome. Any idea on overall length of the sliders? I'm wondering if they will fit in the back of a 200 with the seats folded forward?
A quick measurement on mine and they are just under 6'.

In the back of the 200, with the second row folded up, and on a diangle you have about 6' 3". So yes they will fit, but with all the packing material it is going to get very tight. Maybe some breaking down of that packing material, and rearranging it to still protect the interior and the powder coating finish (if you wanted it) would probably be needed.

A quick measurement on mine and they are just under 6'.

In the back of the 200, with the second row folded up, and on a diangle you have about 6' 3". So yes they will fit, but with all the packing material it is going to get very tight. Maybe some breaking down of that packing material, and rearranging it to still protect the interior and the powder coating finish (if you wanted it) would probably be needed.

Will the skids allow clearance for the kdss relocation without the Slee spacers? Or would you have to use the supplied skid spacers (that I completely lost while changing my oil).

Will the skids allow clearance for the kdss relocation without the Slee spacers? Or would you have to use the supplied skid spacers (that I completely lost while changing my oil).
Thanks Tony for asking that! Yes they will, but it will be a different front skid. That way ground clearance stays at maximum. Not really a point to put larger tires on and gen have to lower skids back down and loose the benefit of the big tires. I know you know that, but I was thinking of you and Mark with 35s when I mentioned to Bud that some guys are running the relocation kit.

The first will go out for a test fit before they start flying out the door.

@RET2 here's your skids in the middle of the building process. The aluminum ones need to be welded. Bud's aluminum welded is 72 and could weld paper to glass. The guy is amazing.
IMG_0706.JPG

I might of gone too far with my aluminum front skid. It does match the grill and Rock Warrior wheel rings though.
IMG_0707.JPG

@RET2 here's your skids in the middle of the building process. The aluminum ones need to be welded. Bud's aluminum welded is 72 and could weld paper to glass. The guy is amazing.
View attachment 1527009

Thank you sir Almost too pretty to drag over trail obstructions. I'll be back from Utah on the 8th so ship away. You have my cell (if I have coverage) if you need to reach me. Again Thanks to you and everyone at BudBuilt

Last edited:
Any updates on the other skids?

Any updates on the other skids?
IMG_0760.JPG

Here are what the control arm skid and shock skids look like. The shock skids are "unicorns" right now so a jig is being behold around them to duplicate angles.

Funny story about the shock skids, @Markuson tested them out, and originally they were never designed to work with the plastic stone guard on BP-51s. But when Mark sent a picture of an impact the shock guard took, we saw that the he left the plastic guard on and Bud thought, "you know, that's not a bad idea." So now you get serious impact protection, plus full pebble thrown protection from the plastic guards.

I had the "shin guard" design Icon shock skids, for my Icons, and they still allowed my shock shaft to get peppered enough to require a shaft replacement.

Did you want an update on a particular set of skids you are having made? I could probably find out.

Custom Buy Opportunity
Also, a guy put in a custom order for sliders to not have the outer tube put on, and have the main tube set out just under the rocker panel (which sets the legs 1" longer). So it makes a rocker protection rail like on a Jeep Wrangler. Since Bud doesn't take money till the product is ready to go out the door, when he called the customer to tell him the rocker rails were ready to ship or go to powder, the guy said he sold his 200... and Bud hasn't gotten any payment and doesn't look like he will. If anyone is interested, they are cheaper than normal sliders as less material and work was done, and wants rocker protection without anything sticking out beyond the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom