Builds Broski's Adventure Rig build thread (42 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well bummer for the first time in my ownership the cruiser did not pass smog :(
I've done all the simple stuff so now it has to go to the professional.
Luckily I live in a small town and know the guy at the smog shop and he does a pre check for me and it failed so I came home and spent the day tuning it up and went back after a long drive and some fresh premium fuel it was better but still no pass.
Made sure to tip him for pre running it for me ;)
V8 time.

Luckily I live in a small town and know the guy at the smog shop and he does a pre check for me and it failed so I came home and spent the day tuning it up and went back after a long drive and some fresh premium fuel it was better but still no pass.
Made sure to tip him for pre running it for me ;)
I thought you were supposed to dump in 2 bottles of Heet and drive it prior to doing smog. This is more alcohol so it reduces emissions.

Luckily I live in a small town........
That sucks! I'd have figured your small town wouldn't require smog checks. Being about halfway between L.A. and Frisco on the coast, you're away from the big metro areas. And San Luis Obispo (which is close) is only around 50K population which is smaller than Bend, OR, which doesn't require smog checks, at least 13 yrs ago when I lived there. But that's OR - must be CA laws. 😒

When was the last time you drove more than 50 miles to help reset the ECU? Get it hot.

I recently dealt with my Land Cruiser failing emissions here in AZ. Check your O2 sensors, that was my issue. If I remember correctly the FSM calls for 5.5-6.0 OHM and mine were double that.

Also, you can add some denatured alcohol and that will clean things up.

I thought you were supposed to dump in 2 bottles of Heet and drive it prior to doing smog. This is more alcohol so it reduces emissions.
Never heard of it, do you get a the auto parts store ?

I think you better read up a bit more on smog testing.

Some say 100% gas, others say add Heet.

I don't have to do smog, so read other's posts from CA and CO for tips.

Link below thread has a lot of other threads linked for quick access.

When was the last time you drove more than 50 miles to help reset the ECU? Get it hot.
This could be the issue, I just got back from Moab ( trailer-ed )
I did drive it to town but it's only 35 miles round tripand it's been cool here 50s engine never got over 180*
I think I need pull my 15 percent under drive water pump/ fan pulley and take a longer drive and take it up the Cuesta Grade

what is your timing set at? Last time I passed I had to retard it to like 3° after TDC, which is rediculous and was down on power but it worked.

also put regular gas back in, premium is a harder-to-combust gas that is great for high-compression turbo cars but is not what our forklift motors were designed to run on. It will drive up the amount of unburnt fuel exiting the exhaust. Using premium may have been the reason your hydrocarbons were high.

And get your cats RED HOT right before the test, I usually do ~5 miles on the interstate foot to the floor and then go straight into the emissions place, I don't shut off the rig until they tell me and I usually hold some RPM while waiting in line.

If I knew you any better, I would say you will research the heck out of this & it will pass no problem next try.
It looks like you issue is hydrocarbons.
Also look up resetting the ECU, I failed last time & resetting the ECU worked. Pulling battery lead then driving it like I stole it for a few days. Full throttle up a few steep grades etc.

theres no learning in our ECU's so it runs preset maps based on input values from sensors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom