Broken Seat/Missing Cap Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't think lock tite products will work, try some super glue after thoroughly cleaning everything with alcohol.

I was going to say, what a waste of good alcohol...:eek: but if it fixes this damn cap it's worth it...I know, not good alcolol, just the denatured type. :clap:

Isopropyl alcohol 91%, Super glue is moisture cured and the 70% stuff has too much water in it. You can get the stuff at any good pharmacy.

Denatured alcohol will get the same job done. I'm afraid that Monster Glue (which I have) will expand too much and crack the housing as it cures. I haven't had good old super glue around for years. Epoxy is probably too drastic.

I have a buddy that works at NASA, and he has the stuff they use to attach TEFLON to things!! He said they just scuff up the teflon and apply this stuff and it holds. If it'll do that, it'll hold anything!!:grinpimp:

I'm not sure you guys want a permanent bond here. I'm sure the super glue would hold sufficient and you could still remove the plug if needed later.

Agreed - epoxy would be a last resort. I don't know why these damn things were designed to come out in the first place tho! :mad:

What about drilling a hole through the plug and housing and using a piece of wire to lock it in? I think someone already suggested it but I haven't heard any yay/nays.

What about drilling a hole through the plug and housing and using a piece of wire to lock it in? I think someone already suggested it but I haven't heard any yay/nays.

I've considered that too, but there's very little room above the small steel cap inside the plastic cap.

I have a buddy that works at NASA, and he has the stuff they use to attach TEFLON to things!! He said they just scuff up the teflon and apply this stuff and it holds. If it'll do that, it'll hold anything!!:grinpimp:

I'm not sure you guys want a permanent bond here. I'm sure the super glue would hold sufficient and you could still remove the plug if needed later.

I know, I ordered some new plugs. I just thought it would be cool to mention that stuff.

Super glue is probably your best bet for a "loc tite" solution. Or you could just buy more caps.. :) but seriously, the new ones are made from Nylon 12 and nylon is notorious for not really bonding with much, particularly paint. I'm intrigued by that stuff that bonds Teflon though, do you have any more info on that?

taccruiser97 I would like to buy 2 when they bcome available.

Like I said in the "for sale" thread, all you guys who ordered by Wednesday yours shipped out already. If you ordered after that, I'll be packaging these up tomorrow night and yours will go out on Monday. If you don't have an immediate need for these, by all means feel free to wait in the wings and see how these perform with the early adopters, I'll still have more later.

Nak,

Received and installed. I used a couple drops of super glue gel. Installed it, let the glue set up for a good 1/2 hour, reinstalled the seat and all is well. Thanks! Almost wish I'd ordered a spare. :doh:

What material did you use on these? Interesting look and feel to them.

I mentioned this in another thread, but for other users - I did manage to get my seats to go back. I was contemplating taking the seats out and figuring it out, but got lucky with my key and a seat bolt!

I managed to move both of them back as far as they will go for now so that I can drive and my passenger doesn't have knees in chest syndrome.

To fix the problem I'm hoping Nakman will be able to send me some caps.

Temporary though - to move the drivers side i managed to jam my key under the rod and fiddle with the button while sticking my finger in the hole to force the rod back - it hurt but it worked. The passenger side I pushed a bolt that was slightly smaller in to the cap hole gap to push the rod back. It took a bit of rocking back and forth on the button, but the seat finally managed to go all the way back.

Basically I played around with the button and various ways of keeping the rod centred and pushed in. I guess you'll have to be careful not to strip anything or burn out anything - all I did was make sure I didn't force anything and had a bit of patience.

i replaced my caps with the one's from nakman. I also put a bead of superglue around the plug to ensure she wasn't coming out again! I may kick myself for that some time in the future, but for now it's all good.

The seat moves forward and back pretty smooth, but there is a slight grind. I imagine when the plug was out i may have chewed up the gear a little.

Thanks Nakman....easiest fix ever. Took about 15min and I now have a fully operational passenger seat.

Thread revival...

Nakman.. you have a new gear on the way.

Courtesy of Theriot

;)

Bx

nakman

I just PM'ed you for 2. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thread revival...

Nakman.. you have a new gear on the way.

Courtesy of Theriot

;)

Bx

back at ya, buddy... :p

the gears are looking good.. https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-...wap-broken-seat-missing-cap-issue-pt-2-a.html
seat_gear_11_newvsold.jpg

Last edited:
I just got my plugs in the mail. At first I thought the material was styrofoam or something but it is really sturdy. Look great. I will let you know how it goes.

One question, what type of machining or background would one need to have to do these types of reproductions? I have all kinds of ideas and would love to know how to carve this stuff out for prototypes.

Thanks.

Well no luck unfortunately. The plugs fit perfectly but both seats are hosed. The DS tried to move one side and then just started spinning. The PS only moves one side back and forth still...but am going to take a closer look at it his afternoon.

On the DS I think I may have messed it up by manually screwing the seats back when it first messed up. I heard a little bit of a crackle.

If anyone knows of the parts I need let me know. Or I can ask CDan and see if he has any ideas. I may take the PS power seat stuff appart and see what looks broken.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom