Broken Seat/Missing Cap Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nakman: Thanks for making the plugs available. I'm a new LC owner and when my passenger seat wouldn't work, I took it to the dealership to get an estimate the first week I got it. They said it could cost up to $1800 if they had to replace everything in the seat. Thanks to IH8MUD and you, I fixed it for $10 with one plug left over. :clap:

Now the wife can sit in the Land Cruiser :cheers:

Nakman: Thanks for making the plugs available. I'm a new LC owner and when my passenger seat wouldn't work, I took it to the dealership to get an estimate the first week I got it. They said it could cost up to $1800 if they had to replace everything in the seat. Thanks to IH8MUD and you, I fixed it for $10 with one plug left over. :clap:

Now the wife can sit in the Land Cruiser :cheers:

Dude, that's awesome, I'm glad I could help. $1800? what to do with the savings... start by getting a silver star here on mud to support the site, then you can send me a cool grand, then take the wife on a weekend to Rocky Point? you'll still be ahead :D

Nakman,

Although I can't say you saved me $1800 ;), I can say that your product fixed my seat.

Now I have it plugged back in & the :princess: can drive it again.

:cheers:dude & thanks!

Nakman, I am new to the 80 series. I just picked up a 96 LX in Texas and drove it home to Canada. On the trip, the drivers side seat seized, and in trying to figure it out in comparison, the passenger side seized also. I called the stealership and they said I was looking at a $1600 fix. I have been desperately looking for a solution and finally came upon this thread. If you still have some of the aforementioned parts, I would love to buy them from you. Two caps and two gears.

nakman I got some plugs from you a while back and they worked out great. I see people ordering gears. Do you have gears also?

Got mine installed, quick, easy, wish I hadn't waited so long. Thanks so much for making these parts!

:cheers:

Hey OT & scoop, yes I have both the white caps and gears available. I have had a couple other guys ask me for these so I had another batch of each made, there's plenty for all... bounce over to the for sale thread for all the info. ;)

McD that's awesome man I'm glad these little parts helped you. :cheers:

I was about to make a thread and warn everyone about the "cap". I see this little piece already has quite the following. People have been jammed into the windshield in the front pass. seat for a few days. On side 2 side comparison I noticed the "cap" and removed the driver's side and got the passenger side working. Now if I can only find that little bugger!

Good news is that I got my two sets delivered yesterday ... the bad news is that one set got toasted on the first test run.

I turned the seat over and plugged it in to watch what was going on. It seemed that sometimes it would work OK and then sometimes the cap would pop off. What was basically happening is when the seat would get to the end of the rearward travel (i.e hit the forward stop) the worm gear would basically wrench outward and then pop out the end cap. I never really figured out what was causing the worm gear to wrench outward so I'm a little leery that even my second install will not be long term. I'll have to order another set to do my passenger side and will probably go ahead and order two sets so I have spares.

The cap and the gears themselves are top knotch and installation instructions are very good.

Thanks for taking this on Nakman.

Help/advice please:

Passenger seat suddenly making a loud grinding noise when going back Going forward it sounded normal. I was in the process of putting lithium on the screw drive, and when it was all the way forward it seized and won't move at all now. Appears like the right half of the track tries to move back (left side does nothing), it quickly wedges and stops.

I ordered the new caps and gear from Gamiviti today before even looking closely as the seat. I just now looked closely and the caps appear to be in place and fine. IDK.

I guess I can replace the gear piece when it arrives, but does anybody have another suggestion/advice on what my problem could be. (I'm a mechanical noob, so please no flaming if I'm being dumb.) Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom