Broken Seat/Missing Cap Issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i tested out a pair for nakman and was more than happy. i once again have two fully functional power front seats. The pieces thread great and match the originals almost identically, even look to be of harder more durable plastic. Get your hands on em when you can. We can all thank nakman for adressing this need and putting an end to the annoying question from passengers, "this seat doesn't move?"

How do we get our hands on the new ones?

Soon. very soon... and sorry this has taken so long. Thanks Jerome for the good feedback I'm glad those are working. I've got one more tiny design tweak that I will iron out early this week, then I hope to do a production run a couple days after that. So if all goes well you guys can all place your orders by the end of the week, hey just in time for Valentine's day.

Cost will be $6 for 1, or $10 for 2, that will include the shipping... and I will also offer a one week, no questions asked money back guarantee- if you're not happy with them just mail them back and I'll refund your $$. I'm not trying to retire here, just provide white things to some of my fellow 80's brethren. Remember these are just the little screw-in white things; not the whole assembly, not the gears, and not necessarily the solution to all of your problems. (how's that for a sales pitch :rolleyes:). But if you are missing the little white cap, well then this is what you're looking for, because that's what these are.

Again, don't send me anything yet, stay tuned and look forward to some good news by the end of the week. :grinpimp:

edit: and if you don't want to scroll back a page, here's another picture of the part:
nak_whitecap_1.jpg

Last edited:
Bump to top for a status update - I'm in for one.

On install, are the plugs just flush as shown in the pic or down a little into the threaded hole?

I'll take two (2)

Guys, last round of prototypes appear to be spot on. thank you again for your patience here, but I am now ready to take your orders. Here is the "for sale" thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/202960-little-white-fzj80-front-seat-plugs-caps.html#post2999788

Brent, they actually recess into the surrounding hole a little bit, and you can bottom them out and the shaft inside will still turn. One idea that was tossed around with one of my test subjects here was once you put them in and decide you like them, take them out again and put a dab of super glue on the threads, to act as a little loc tite.

Guys, last round of prototypes appear to be spot on. thank you again for your patience here, but I am now ready to take your orders. Here is the "for sale" thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/202960-little-white-fzj80-front-seat-plugs-caps.html#post2999788

Brent, they actually recess into the surrounding hole a little bit, and you can bottom them out and the shaft inside will still turn. One idea that was tossed around with one of my test subjects here was once you put them in and decide you like them, take them out again and put a dab of super glue on the threads, to act as a little loc tite.

I thought about taking the old one - if I can find it - it fell out again while some work was being done on the truck and have yet to pull the seat to look for it, and dabbing a little epoxy on the threads. I can't really tell if the plug or threads in the housing are stripped a little. If your plug comes out I may resort to super glue, monster glue or epoxy to hold the sucker in.

Reason for the question is that when I cranked the plug in seemingly as far as it would go, the seat would not move, but when I retracted it a little it worked just fine.

For the price, I'll order one anyway. Thanks for all your work!

I have an official Nakman plug in my seat :cool:

Just a little parking lot testing and it worked perfectly. Funny that such a little thing can cause so many problems :D

Anyway, Tim popped my old one out and sure enough, the seat stopped working...Tim then put his Nakman original in and voila, the seat worked again :clap:

Kudos to Nakman :beer:

I just ordered a couple of sets. Need those spares! Any word on the little gears? This just happened to mine about 3 weeks ago, and I was super pissed at the prospect of paying $400 for a new motor/assembly. I'm really glad I stumbled across this thread. :cheers:

I haven't been following this thread and 71 posts is a lot to read, are these plugs going bad or just coming up missing?

Coming up missing for the most part Rick. Mine has fallen out and I've tried putting it back in to no avail so far. For $6, I'm going to try a new plug. I don't know if the plug threads are shot or the hole threads. If Nak's plug doesn't stay in either a little epoxy after I get the plug set to the proper depth will be in order!

they fall out and cause your seat to not go one direction or the other. In my case, it goes forward, but binds up when I try to go backward. The caps are threaded in and hold the worm drive screw in place for some kind of linkage. The threads strip out and the screw gets messed up in there and it all goes to s#!t.
W/out the little caps, you have to either buy a new motor assembly to the tune of about $400 or possibly you can find a little housing for the assembly, if you can produce it for the parts guy. That thing costs around $80, IIRC w/out rereading it.
This little cap makes it so that, as long as it hasn't been messed up too long, and the little nylon nut isn't all stripped out from the worm screw being out of place, you can put it back in and, voila!! The seat works again.
Yeah, that's it, in a nutshell.

stupid question, but when i get mine from nakman i'm thinking about putting locktite on the threads to keep it from working out again. Any thoughts on loctite on plastic?

stupid question, but when i get mine from nakman i'm thinking about putting locktite on the threads to keep it from working out again. Any thoughts on loctite on plastic?

I tried blue the last time I screwed in the original cap. No luck. Red perhaps? There's no reason the cap needs to be removed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom