Broken Seat/Missing Cap Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That housing gear is about 80 bucks. I've replaced both, 18 months apart. Once it has popped out, the nylon gear may have already suffered some damage. I tried putting the cap back in and it worked back out, maybe my gear was too far gone at that point. Oh well, now I know not to slide those seats unless absolutely necessary and definatley without my fat a$$ in it. The Parts guy told me they use nylon gears because they are quieter, sorry excuse if you ask me, they must have been planning for the Lexus model as early as 1990 and figured quiet gears would draw in buyers at the showroom. I'd like to figure out a way to convert the slide motion to a traditional pull lever design, but would take some fabrication work and time, just easier to spend $80. Hopefully they wont run out of those parts.

nakman, I need one for a friend's 80. He will pay whatever it takes, within reason. Thanks, Steve

THis is a sad thread really; just because this stupid little plastic plug seems to be a real PITA!! Mine popped out a year or two ago and i realized what happened by chance. Put it back in and put duct tape over it to keep it in place. Pretty pathetic.

Why in the hell are these plugs popping out?

I say we bombard Toyota with a factory recall??!!!

THis is a sad thread really; just because this stupid little plastic plug seems to be a real PITA!!

Why in the hell are these plugs popping out?

x2. Mine popped out on a club trip a few months back and I found it when I was clearing the sunroof drains the next day.

It took me a while to figure out what is was and where it came from.

EDIT to say I'll take and pay for two when they are available.

I still have my PS plug. How tight is my question. When I tried to really crank it down the seat would not move at all! Backed it off a little and the seat moved fine w/o grinding the gear, but the plug keeps popping in and out as I move the seat back and forward. I guess threads on either the plug or assembly are stripped, but it's hard to tell.

Nak - keep us posted on your fabrication progress.

I am another LX450 owner in search of this replacement plug. I had my passenger seat get stuck forward months ago and had to manually move it back (I had not found this web-site yet). Then last week my wife drove my truck and moved the seat forward, never to be moved back again. Both plugs are now missing and unlike many others, I have not found mine under the floor mat. If there is a fabrication of this plug available, I am very intersted - at least my knees are very interested.

Don

I need one too....

If you are lucky, all you will need are the plugs. However, after I installed them, my seats moved forward/backward a little ways, then would mostly move only on one side. as if they were "Off track".

What actually happened was that one one side was actually working now. The opposite side (side with the motor) was still not working fully. Sometimes it would work momentarily, but upon closer examination, it wasn't moving.

I'd ordered a new housing long time ago, and had it on hand. It would be an easy fix for the driver's side.

But the passenger's side needed both the HOUSING as well as the other side. Bad part is that the other side is sold as ONE UNIT AFAICT, and is around $300.00

At any rate, I disassembled both sides and made a discovery: The internal plastic gear on the motor-side is the exact same as the one inside the HOUSING. Therefore, you should be able to order just the housing and use the internal gear for the other side, provided your motor is in good working order.

I plan to purchase another HOUSING for around $68. A total cost of around $150 to fix both sides provided you just need the housing (i.e., at least one side works on each seat).

It would be great if we could source the gear alone...

FWIW, I found two things that made it much easier:

- RAISE your seat UPward all-the-way. It makes removing the hex/allen bolts very easy.
- REMOVE the seat from the truck (just 4 bolts) and take the small rear plastic pieces off that support the threaded track on each side of the side. Much gentler and easy to remove housing(s).

$.02

Last edited:
Guys thanks for your PM's... I think my design is good to go, I've got a set out there being tested right now, as soon as I hear back from our unbiased test subject we'll know if we have the green light for production or not, then we'll do a run of these little caps.

TBO, what's the word?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom