Builds Box Rocket 1980 1st Gen Hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Indeed! Once you color sand it and then clear coat it, that hides many sins if you are careful ;)
One more question, did you construct a makeshift paint booth in the garage? If so, how did you vent the tent??

Cheers!
Yes. We'll do a wet sand and clear coat to finish it off. Should be ok when we're done.

As for a paint booth...
Didn't really do much. Just cleaned the floor and watered the floor to keep any dust down.

Wow, I guess maybe I am over-thinking it...I will hope to paint my rig in the coming months before CM if the temperature warms up
enough, but I figured I'd need to build a makeshift paint booth with filtration and vent fans galore...maybe that is if I want a show
worthy job?? I just want it to look decent and last many a year!! Good on ya, be safe! (I hope you were wearing some masks for organic solvents!!)

Cheers!

Wow, I guess maybe I am over-thinking it...I will hope to paint my rig in the coming months before CM if the temperature warms up
enough, but I figured I'd need to build a makeshift paint booth with filtration and vent fans galore...maybe that is if I want a show
worthy job?? I just want it to look decent and last many a year!! Good on ya, be safe! (I hope you were wearing some masks for organic solvents!!)

Cheers!
A paint booth definitely can help keep things controlled. Less risk of "stuff" getting into the paint and you will control any overspray. Good ventilation is always a good idea. I don't think you need to go crazy with it though.

I painted my old FJ40 back in 2000 with a single stage paint and from what I understand the paint still looks good, but I haven't seen the truck since 2004. I used a paint booth when I did that one along with a nice HVLP gun.

For smaller things I've rattle canned with decent results. I rattlecanned the fiberglass fenders on my Tacoma with a 2-stage base/clear that I had custom mixed. If you take your time and use the right method to get an even "wet" coat, its difficult to tell it's spraybombed. No fancy booth, just in the garage.

Last summer I used the same method when I repainted the hood on my 80. The clearcoat had been peeling badly. Again, custom mixed 2-stage base/clear in rattlecans. No fancy booth for this either.

So now on my son's truck were trying the same method on a larger scale with rattle cans again. *gasp* As I said, we're not after show quality but I'm confident we can get it looking good enough that most won't have any idea it's rattlecanned.

Thanks for that response...it gives me hope, but I will still have to be very careful since my gas water heater and furnace are in my garage
aka paint booth! Plenty of air, keep it moving and wet down the floor all seem to be the very least of what I'll do....unless I can find a local paint booth to rent!! That would be best, but not highly likely. Keep up the great work, it's fun to see what you are doing and how you are doing it!

Cheers!

Awesome.

Wow!, very nice work and in a garage with spray cans no less...you do some great stuff on the cheap :)

Your line looks pretty darn straight from the picture, impressed!

Cheers!

Wow!, very nice work and in a garage with spray cans no less...you do some great stuff on the cheap :)

Your line looks pretty darn straight from the picture, impressed!

Cheers!
Thanks. The line is pretty good I think. Little hard to tell in the pics since the doors are open so the door jams can dry.

Looks great! Even if he didn't choose the color combo I wanted! :grinpimp:

Do you mind me asking about how much the paint cost? My 93 needs paint. I just can't bring myself to spend a couple grand having it painted...

Looks great! Even if he didn't choose the color combo I wanted! :grinpimp:

Do you mind me asking about how much the paint cost? My 93 needs paint. I just can't bring myself to spend a couple grand having it painted...
Thanks. We're into the paint and body work a total of $150 so far.

Did you use their clear coat too? I was thinking of I want more of a matte finish. Like what @1shot1kill did with his. Speaking of which, where the hell is he? Is he hanging out in the Tundra forum?

I have
Did you use their clear coat too? I was thinking of I want more of a matte finish. Like what @1shot1kill did with his. Speaking of which, where the hell is he? Is he hanging out in the Tundra forum?
I haven't sprayed the clear yet but I will be after the color has cured a few days.

You might try a satin finish. It's not as chalky as a matte finish and just a bit of sheen.

Glad someone is giving this truck the love and attention it needs. was my bro-in law's truck for awhile then he sold it to a mutual friend of ours and that was the last i heard of it, i actually supplied him the front slip yoke on the drive line to get the 4x4 working so he could "rock crawl" it lol. that's been at least 8 years ago. looks great keep up the good work.

I am here buddy! Been very busy with life, kids...everything...hope you are well.

I am here buddy! Been very busy with life, kids...everything...hope you are well.

Good to hear bro! I thought maybe you had gone soft on us or something with your cute new Tundra! :rofl:

Seriously, good to hear from you and glad things are good for you!

More.

Insatiable!!

been a crazy few weeks. Had a huge deadline at work and have been doing 14-16 hour days. My Dad had a massive heart attack when his heart completely stopped. My mom saved him by doing CPR and keeping blood flowing to his brain until the EMT's got there. They were able to get his heart going again in the ER! Total miracle. Half of his heart is dead from a previous heart attack that none of us knew about (including him), and he needed 4 stints in the arteries on the good half. He spent a week in the hospital and has actually recovered amazingly well and is home now. So I spent several days in Idaho with them. But the craziness of that is over and Friday we wrapped up the deadline at work and I've been able to take a breath.

My wife and kids were in Denver over the weekend to visit my wife's sister so I had some uninterrupted time this weekend to fiddle with the truck. It was some much needed therapy.

I got the clearcoat sprayed. It came out ok, but it's a $150 paintjob so definitely not perfect. It's a "ten-footer", looks good from ten feet away. :) I think we'll do a bit of wet sanding to smooth out a few spots and call it good.

Also got some sliders built and mounted. These are massive overkill on this truck but I guess that's not a bad thing. We wanted a bit of a step to make getting into the cab easier and still have good rocker protection. Round tube could have worked but it's the best step. I decided to use 5x2 3/16" wall rec tube. They are heavy duty! I have no doubt they are stronger than the sliders on my 80. Anyway, simple no frills, descrete and good protection with full coverage of the rockers and should keep the doors away from rocks. Welded to the frame with 4 gusseted legs.

Next up is a suspension overhaul, and addressing the front axle that has numerous issues.

Yes I know the camber looks completely wonky. Likely bad bearings but I need to check for a bent housing. It's not as bad as it looks in this photo because the wheels are slightly turned which seems to exaggerate the effect. Look at the pic from a few weeks ago with the front wheels straight and you can see it's definitely not as wonky.

Sliders

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom