Builds Box Rocket 1980 1st Gen Hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not much time to work on this these days with the holidays and family stuff happening almost every day it seems. But I did get a few hours over the weekend to do a couple things.

Got the MTRs pulled off my 80 and mounted back on the factory 80 wheels. The 80 wheels are still a bit chewed up from their last trip, but we'll get them cleaned up and repainted soon. But we got them swapped out with the stupid wheels and 33's that were on the Hilux.
The 35's look so much better IMO. We still want to get the lift a couple inches shorter. The 63" chevies in the rear should work well and I'm looking at pulling one of the leaves out of the front Skyjackers to see if that drops the height a bit and also rides better. take a look at the thick 2nd leaf in those front packs. :confused: Anyone think the main leaf will have problems toward the eyes without a leaf adding support farther out?

Obviously we're still working on body work. I was able to get the tailgate cleaned up and prepped after these pics were taken so we're down to the driverside door and bedside and it will be ready for paint.

Here's a little better shot of how we modified the grill. We kept the outer edges of the old grill (gills) to fill the gap between the headlight buckets and the narrower '83 grill. Works ok IMO. This is a better view of that 2nd leaf in the front too.

yota.jpg

@Box Rocket how much lift is on it now? Mine had a add-a-leaf and recurved fronts and 2" chaeapo block in the rear. If I remember correct these were 33's

I think the Skyjackers were a 4" kit. Looks like aftermarket leaves up front, S bend steering arm, 4" block in the rear. Mine also has long shackles. I have no doubt it's taller than your pic. I'd like to get it closer to that height.

I think the Skyjackers were a 4" kit. Looks like aftermarket leaves up front, S bend steering arm, 4" block in the rear. Mine also has long shackles. I have no doubt it's taller than your pic. I'd like to get it closer to that height.

I'm wondering if you'll still be able to stuff the 35's with a smaller lift??

@Box Rocket have you had any luck locating any FSM's for the truck yet?? I've looked and haven't come across any yet... only for 85 and up.

No clue how much info is in it, but I do have a PDF version of an 83 FSM.

Last edited:
@Box Rocket right after I posted I found a great 20R FSM.. nothing on the 80 body and chassis yet. Not sure how close in comparison the '83 one would be @Mudder

Dropbox - 20R FSM.pdf
It should work, fine. My truck has a 22R and the body has parts from several different trucks. :) I don't know if there is much that is original.

'80 trucks only had one FSM, covered 2x, 4x, C&C and all variations. It's about three inches thick.

'80 trucks only had one FSM, covered 2x, 4x, C&C and all variations. It's about three inches thick.

Any idea where I can get my hands on one?? :)

Nope. I'm keeping mine. You're 'only' about 4.5 hrs away:steer:, bring a copy machine and have at it. :eek:

Had to park my 80 outside in the cold so my son's truck could stay in the warm garage for paint to dry. Phase1 of paint is done with first base coat complete.

What color did you decide on?? My vote was tan. :)

Did you lay the paint yourself? Looking good so far!

Cheers!

Did you lay the paint yourself? Looking good so far!

Cheers!
yes we're doing the paint in the garage. This is a "ten-footer" truck (looks good from 10 feet). Definitely not a show truck since it's my 16 yr olds first car and I'm sure it will go through some crap. ;)

Indeed! Once you color sand it and then clear coat it, that hides many sins if you are careful ;)
One more question, did you construct a makeshift paint booth in the garage? If so, how did you vent the tent??

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom