Bolt on turbo kit (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I figure we will get updates when we get updates......Honestly, I had an unexpected expense this month that took a serious hit to savings so I am hoping the total kit will be available in about 4 months after I resave funds!

No problem. My goal is to have a certain number of folks committed with THEIR hard earned dollars so that I can then make sure I have enough stock for those that can’t commit right away.

I just want to make sure that I get in on the first wave. Maybe there will be a discount for the first ten kits or something?

No problem. My goal is to have a certain number of folks committed with THEIR hard earned dollars so that I can then make sure I have enough stock for those that can’t commit right away.

For those considering this, might I recommend two things: 1) replace your exhaust heat shields with new ones from @beno because its likely yours are cracked and it causes noise in certain conditions and 2) consider getting your exhaust manifolds and heat shields ceramic coated. To do all four of these pieces (silver ceramic on the manifolds and black ceramic on the shields) cost me about $180 locally.

IMG_2189.jpg
IMG_2190.jpg
IMG_2191.jpg
IMG_2192.jpg

shiny :cool: after dealing with smoking heat wrap, I will agree that ceramic coating is the way to go. *ahem* hoping the kit comes with ceramic coating on the y-pipe and downpipe*cough*

my wallet just puckered

The oil pan drain fittings are done and ready to go. I will be including a cap for the drain fitting as well for JUST in case. Its been on the test truck for about 1000 miles so far and no issues. I'll including the final bit needed (you an use a step up to a certain point), mounting hardware, fitting and cap.

The steel pan does need to be dropped to gather all the aluminum chips but you needed an oil change anyway right? Right?!

1FZ-turbo-oilpan-fitting.png
IMG_5719.jpg

Last edited:
One of the things to consider when adding a turbo is where and how to tie in the oil supply line to the turbo. In this case I’m pulling oil from the stock oil pressure gauge. BUT it needs to serve other purposes.

This Oil Peace Pipe is threaded to attach to the stock oil gauge sender location while adding ports to thread in a brand new supplied OEM sender, an after market oil temp sender, and a 1/8”NPT port with 3AN adapter fitting for the supply line. All included.

The male is BPT. The short female ends are BPT and NPT. The long female end is NPT.

83A0D38D-4B82-4784-AC94-5DFBC55702E8.jpeg

CB303392-7685-4C3D-998C-04F3D6EBD90E.jpeg
BB990523-63D3-4DE5-9F55-E2F1D7687235.jpeg
2C04620A-B5C4-4558-9DA5-0DEB493B4636.jpeg
BF548877-240C-4CC7-B935-FD3AB902AAC8.jpeg

Last edited:
@scottryana @NLXTACY I know you guys have said this is not an option for OBD1 trucks, but could a standalone be used for us older 80 series guys? Or am I stuck swapping in an OBD2 engine?

My engine is removed right now while my 80 is being painted, so I’m going to remove my manifold and get it ceramic coated while the 80 is down, curious if the y-pipe/ downpipe will be done in silver or black? I was planning to do the manifolds black, but would probably change that depending on the y-pipe/ downpipe

You won't really see the manifolds under the heat shields so you are pretty safe to get them coated how ever you like. :)

My engine is removed right now while my 80 is being painted, so I’m going to remove my manifold and get it ceramic coated while the 80 is down, curious if the y-pipe/ downpipe will be done in silver or black? I was planning to do the manifolds black, but would probably change that depending on the y-pipe/ downpipe

I kind of addressed this earlier, it is really hard to say, I do think you should be able to run it with a standalone, but I do not know anyone that has done it.

@scottryana @NLXTACY I know you guys have said this is not an option for OBD1 trucks, but could a standalone be used for us older 80 series guys? Or am I stuck swapping in an OBD2 engine?

Come on 3FE turbo kit!

I’m glad to hear your putting some miles on the prototype rig to make sure everything is functional & address any potential parts issues.

Curious, was any baseline (non-turbo) dyno runs done on the test rig prior to turbo install? Any plans for dyno test when complete?

I’m interested to see some charts & numbers.

I believe it was mentioned earlier that the test-rig was being run with a smaller turbo than what this kit will come with. Was that a parts availability issue, or something else?

Has the actual turbo been retrofitted yet? Curious what your butt-dyno (seat of your pants driveability/power) guesstimates are...

I’m glad to hear your putting some miles on the prototype rig to make sure everything is functional & address any potential parts issues.

Curious, was any baseline (non-turbo) dyno runs done on the test rig prior to turbo install? Any plans for dyno test when complete?

I’m interested to see some charts & numbers.

I believe it was mentioned earlier that the test-rig was being run with a smaller turbo than what this kit will come with. Was that a parts availability issue, or something else?

Has the actual turbo been retrofitted yet? Curious what your butt-dyno (seat of your pants driveability/power) guesstimates are...

Proto rig #1 isn’t the same setup. It was done using a Cummins turbo and cheap off the shelf crap so that obvious hinderances can be dealt with. That’s what allow me to make up these little parts to make the installation a breeze.

I have a second 80 that will indeed be dyno’d pre-install that I need as part of the CARB compliance testing. That truck will get the business :p

I have a before dyno and i'd be happy to go in for an after dyno once I get my kit :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom