Body work opinion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to be installing a new tub on my 40. Question, should I reinstall bushwacker flares or go with a stockist rear fender cut? Which u think would look better? Here it is with current tub and bushwacker flares. Tires do stick out a fair amount. I kinda think the bushwacker offset this but what do u guys think? It's going to have the exact same paint job. I would really appreciate opinions as I am honestly pretty indecisive about it at this point.
DSC_0045.JPG
View attachment 1395206
IMG_20160828_134652733_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150501_081618796.jpg
_20161023_084014.JPG

Last edited:
To each his own right? I'm not of fan of Bushwacker fender flares but than again I like the look of 33x9.50. Build it for you and no one else.
I think for the most part I have built it for my taste. But I have found that its good to get the opinions of others when it comes to looks. When I was choosing how to redo the old stripe when I painted it last, I asked the other guys in my high school class what they thought of a couple different renditions I drew up of the stripe. Most picked the stripe it has today. I was kinda thinking of the same style they picked, but I needed a nudge to basically say-yea that works. In this case I really want to go flare-less. But a big part of me says no its not going to look right and the tires will stick out too far without any coverage and it will look silly. So really I don't know what would look better and am just seeking honest opinions and thoughts to help me out what to choose.:beer:

Your 40 looks really nice with way you have it the set up and seems to work well for you also. The tires would look out of place or just not right with out the flares.

The tires stick out on mine and I sure like it with the flares we get lots of rain and 5 min on a fsr without them I can't see out the sides of the truck because of the mud on the windows
I wish mine looked as nice as yours

your tub look clean , hidden rust ?

for the flare dilemma, i suggest you cut the opening larger mimicking the factory and try w/o flare , after some driving time you will know , on dry trail or rock crawling you dont need flare, but if you drive on mud , snow and rain , trail and street maybe you need flare , TJ flare give wider covering and look good on 40

your tub look clean , hidden rust ?

for the flare dilemma, i suggest you cut the opening larger mimicking the factory and try w/o flare , after some driving time you will know , on dry trail or rock crawling you dont need flare, but if you drive on mud , snow and rain , trail and street maybe you need flare , TJ flare give wider covering and look good on 40
Some rust is starting but not bad. I have some extra money coming in, so I'm just getting a new tub because I don't have great shop accessibility right now. A 3/4 tub from aqualu will look nice nd be quick and simple. It's also half the weight of the steel. They also have less areas for moisture to enter and cause corrosion . I do drive a fair amount of fs roads so that's something to think about.

Not a fan of flares on 40's myself; mine had some and I took them off. One day, I will repair the cut quarter panels.

Either way that truck will look great. For a stock rig flares don't look best but for a built up rig like yours either way, yours just plain looks good.

Form over fashion. With your tires sticking out so far you will need something to keep the rooster tails down when driving. All the dirt and mud being kicked up will damage that new paint job in a hurry. I thought Aqaulu made aluminum fender flares. I would run aluminum painted the same color as the rig and call it a day. I don't particularly like them either but see them as a necessary evil when you have tires sticking outside the fender well.

I'd vote for not reinstalling the flares also. They look "matched" on your photos above but it'll look cleaner without. No flares on my 40 and the tires stick out like crazy but I've never had a negative comment (or a ticket) for that matter. Nice looking 40 by the way
DSCN2074.JPG

I love the look of your '40, that stance is BAD ASS! I think Bushwacker flares painted body color would look best in your rigs case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom