Builds BNG Cruzr - Journey Back to Dirt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That weird wiring your looking at is a fusible link. It’s stock.
62 fusible links

Nice, always liked Volks, just bummed on the offsets available.

Try and get that steering gearbox rebuilt soon, it will leak onto your new leaf pack and make lots of creaking...then you have to rebuild the leafpack to quiet it back down. Pretty easy to do, just takes a little patience the first time. Or ship it out to West Texas.

Nice, always liked Volks, just bummed on the offsets available.

Try and get that steering gearbox rebuilt soon, it will leak onto your new leaf pack and make lots of creaking...then you have to rebuild the leafpack to quiet it back down. Pretty easy to do, just takes a little patience the first time. Or ship it out to West Texas.

What makes you suggest this - is this a normal item to rebuild when buying an FJ62?

What makes you suggest this - is this a normal item to rebuild when buying an FJ62?

It's just that everything is 30 years old plus the miles. The experience here (not me) knows the weaker points that's all. Four your purposes (big camping trip coming up) focus and prioritize 1. Safety (brakes, steering, tires, suspension) 2. What will leave you on the side of the trail (leaky trans lines, electrical failure, major mechanical breakage (ie. have you checked your gear oil levels)) 3. What is simply proper maintenance (adjustments, minor leak repair, renewal of fluids (brake, coolant), rebuilds of axles and t-case) and 4. Cosmetic and nice to have (interior, paint, stereo, cool off roading accessories.)

I believe it was mentioned higher in the thread - if you keep this for any length if time you will end up going through every system/sub-system regardless of the maintenance history and miles. It's simply the way it is. If your interested read any of the awesome 50-60 page builds on here. Those guys have touched everything on the truck.

We all here because we think it's worth it.

Yea....anything that leaks shouldn't leak, lol (this isn't the SR-71). Since I can't say how your truck runs, I can't put it into a numerical list in order of priority, but steering gearbox is very common to leak over time. If you want your vehicle to last...you need to make sure all systems are functioning correctly which includes gearbox rebuild. If it is leaking pretty heavily (which it seems like) i would do it sooner than later as it will cause your p/s pump to run dry if you don't watch fluid level.

Yea....anything that leaks shouldn't leak, lol (this isn't the SR-71). Since I can't say how your truck runs, I can't put it into a numerical list in order of priority, but steering gearbox is very common to leak over time. If you want your vehicle to last...you need to make sure all systems are functioning correctly which includes gearbox rebuild. If it is leaking pretty heavily (which it seems like) i would do it sooner than later as it will cause your p/s pump to run dry if you don't watch fluid level.

What is leaking is the oil cooling line (the front connector). Its sending fluid all over the truck - I meant to take pictures yesterday after I cleaned up the under-carriage but I forgot.

I haven't been able to identify any other leaks at this points. But damn, that red ATF gets everywhere when driven around.

Just realized this is coming from your passenger side, haha! Us 60 dudes don't have a/t lines to worry about. This is what a classic gearbox leak looks like but on the driver side. Clean it up soon though, it will make your springs noisy which is lame since they are new.

ZaDyxKp.jpg

Just realized this is coming from your passenger side, haha! Us 60 dudes don't have a/t lines to worry about. This is what a classic gearbox leak looks like but on the driver side. Clean it up soon though, it will make your springs noisy which is lame since they are new.

ZaDyxKp.jpg

Honestly - thank you so much for perusing through this stuff. It is amazing having another set of eyes (even if over the internet) to see things that I might not.

I'll add the steering gear box to the list of maintenance items to get to.

Honestly - thank you so much for perusing through this stuff. It is amazing having another set of eyes (even if over the internet) to see things that I might not.

I'll add the steering gear box to the list of maintenance items to get to.

Take a look at the gearbox on the driverside, if its not wet anywhere, I wouldn't worry about it!

Purchased a new Radiator. I went big and bought a direct-fit replacement Mishimoto Radiator - its expensive, but I think I will be avoiding the need for a transmission cooler due to the cooling performance of the Mishimoto Radiator - Link is here.

I ran Mishimoto Radiators on both of my built Subaru's and they performed really well. I also appreciate the warranties.

9osYvmK.png

6Csn3ji.png

I will be sure to post how well the install goes, should be a piece-of-cake replacement.

If I do need a cooler - I will go big and grab a Mishimoto one as well - Link is here.

Last edited:
Having extreme difficulty getting the first of the rear OME leaf springs top pin to slide into the “socket” or hole in the top of the axle.

This is worse than using a couple jacks to negotiate the solid axle around. I have no clue how to get this thing to fall in.

lol - the joys of working on this LC!!

/endrant

Picture!

Is the hole rusty?
Are you talking about the center bolt that connects all the leaves?

Use a heavy duty ratchet strap to pull the axle to align the pin, and use the jack to drop it in.

Use a heavy duty ratchet strap to pull the axle to align the pin, and use the jack to drop it in.

This is genius. I ended up getting it by utilizing my leverage bars and lifting the opposite corner to get the axle perfectly balanced (used a leveler lol) and dropping the weight of the car against it.

I got the wheels/tires mounted, very happy.

[picture to come]

Okay follow up with photos from the weekend:

Removing bolts and such - a bunch sheared from the trailer hitch, not surprising haha:

zoH5aw3.jpg

Muffler that looks ok:

hwWTSf3.jpg

But certainly is not! (I knew there was a leak somewhere, but this large?!?!):

8gJCooC.jpg

Cool pair of photos after removing the spare wheel/tire:

WHpH5gV.jpg

ISDdWtF.jpg

Trailer hitch if anyone wants it:

yhJ6bPa.jpg

My second best friend Dale:

w5xltU3.jpg

My favorite from the weekend:

cldzkb4.jpg

Cheers and Beers mud: guess I will try to get the fourth corner sometime this week.

That hole is hilarious. What a sneaky spot.
And yes cool pixs for sure. Good to see your doing so well. I have to admit when you first posted I was a tad worried about the welfare of that truck. :)

That hole is hilarious. What a sneaky spot.
And yes cool pixs for sure. Good to see your doing so well. I have to admit when you first posted I was a tad worried about the welfare of that truck. :)

yeah, He went from not knowing the difference between a transmission and a power steering pump to removing and installing lift springs. I'm digging his energy.

yeah, He went from not knowing the difference between a transmission and a power steering pump to removing and installing lift springs. I'm digging his energy.

New platform and new generation of vehicle for me — steep learning curve for sure but between reading the manual and researching on here, it’s been a more accessible climb than I even expected.

Thanks for all the advice and support.

Alright Mudders - I am gearing up for a successful weekend.

I am going to replace the leaking hose ahead of receiving the new radiator. I figured since I will be in there replacing hoses, what other hoses should I replace?

Also, I don't know the sizes of the fittings I need. Can someone shed some light on there? I will be tackling this task as the first of its kind for me. General help/tips are much appreciated.

The main area of attack are the hoses running from the radiator/oil cooler to the transmission. Need to read the manual again and see if the information is saved there.

The wife and I booked travel plans to Santa Fe the second weekend of May, so I would love to have the truck in running form by then.

Thanks.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom