Builds BNG Cruzr - Journey Back to Dirt (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wife had a massage scheduled, so it gave me time to get in the garage and listen to the Penguin game on the radio while working on the truck.

I hit the fixed shackle with some more PB Blaster and heat and removed the bolts from the rear and the axle mount to the leaves. The fixed shackle wouldn't budge, so I decided to turn my attention to the interior.

I have had the suspicion that I could fit mine and my wifes bikes in the back of the LC - tonight I confirmed my suspicion and laid out my plans.

Removed the metal trim that holds the fabric in place.

4N6dhlI.jpg

Removed the rear tailgate carpeting. Prior owner replaced the original carpet with aftermarket - which is a poor match and will definitely be replaced.

haDDL2N.jpg

Everything out:

H0I2XeK.jpg

Measure bike time:

EUJYHVk.jpg

Fb2mvns.jpg

I didn't show it, but a rough handlebar width of 21" (however, if I stagger the bikes this width can be cut down between two)

Measure the interior ... and everything fits great with plenty of room to spare! The height will be fine if we lower seats. Much better than having the seats on top of the truck getting battered by rocks and bugs.

9fOKl5d.jpg

3FFEQJk.jpg

So the game plan is to remove the back of the passenger seats and bolt in two front fork carriers (I have two old Rocky Mountain fork mounts that fit the bill great) while improving the overall rigidity (probably some plywood backing and restore the condition with paint after scrubbing off rust.

The end result will be a brown rubber mat in the back. Plan on doing the same thing with the side storage areas when I replace the old speakers as well. I am pretty stoked about this development!

One thing that drives me bonkers are rattles and clinks and clanks. The rear seats are HORRIBLE. The game plan is to remove the mounts, clean them up and plastidip them (not with spray but by actually dipping them into the jar as intended). This will create a nice thin rubber coating that will eliminate the vibration of metal on metal here.

5VWLxwK.jpg

Easily removable:

V2JpjXJ.jpg

I also determined I will not be needing to replace the OG carpeting through the vehicle. Going to give it my best detailing shot and find some rubber mats to throw on top of it. This will save me about $1k that I will put into the stereo (hopefully).

Cheers and Beers Mud -

JR

Finished the last corner of the suspension. Pretty great feeling - had to cut all four fixed shackle points.

I will torque everything down tomorrow after rolling around a bit.

Waiting until Friday when my 12mm spacers arrive to take her down to the shop and get a fluid flush and alignment. I am guessing the rear will be a little taller until I get my rear tire carrier midway through May from 4x4 labs.

Also have sound deadening material coming Friday, along with new Toyota rear hub caps and new front hub caps.

I’ve got some good plans for the weekend with the wife out of town, will be nice to have two days to work on the truck.

Drove the truck to Denver this morning with the pup - suspension feels great, tires fit fine - can definitely feel a little play in the steering since I haven't installed the steering stabilizer yet (having a hard time getting the old one out), but will get that going here soon.

However this morning the radio wouldn't turn on (after using it last night haha). No idea, but guess the stereo will need to be replaced ASAP - I like music too much to struggle on without it.

I'm going to clean up the truck tonight, I'll post pictures sometime tomorrow in the AM after I can get out during golden hour.

For the steering stabilizer, get a tie rod puller from your local autozone, oreilly, etc. (they loan these for free as long as you return it). Don't bother with a pickle fork, as the tie rod puller worked much better for me. Screw it in tight, whack with your BFH, repeat.

upload_2018-5-4_10-52-16.png

The steering stabilizer adds the best bang for the buck on improved driving feel from everything I've done so far.

For the steering stabilizer, get a tie rod puller from your local autozone, oreilly, etc. (they loan these for free as long as you return it). Don't bother with a pickle fork, as the tie rod puller worked much better for me. Screw it in tight, whack with your BFH, repeat.

View attachment 1692883

The steering stabilizer adds the best bang for the buck on improved driving feel from everything I've done so far.
That’s the best tool for the Pittman off the bottom of the steering gear box too tho I did have my neighbor trim it for me cuz it was too tight a squeeze to fit around the output shaft. Then I had to buy a new unmolested one for the TRE off the steering arms while doing knuckles and it wasn’t quite snug enough. Worked but it wanted to slip up and off. Lots of alternating whacks from the 2lb sledge (same as the Pittman) and tightening.

Pulled it right off with this tool.

Front left wheel wasn’t balanced very well, getting quite a bit of “wobble” I can see and can feel it a bit in the steering wheel. The other three corners seem to be pretty well balanced.

I rented the tool from O’Reillys-pretty great system there.

Removing and sanding the grille/light trim down this afternoon. Also I dynamatted the trunk and hatch last night, amazing how much quieter it is.

The tie-rod puller suggested by @LCQ

Just ordered a new set of carpet from iH8mud member dnp - as I got carried away and tore my entire carpet out after realizing how dirty and gross everything was underneath it. Ordered a set of brown carpet with the padding.

The previous owner removed both cats, which I will need if I am going to pass emissions here in Boulder, CO. Which if you have been following the thread, you will have noticed the nice baseball size hole in my exhaust pipes.

I like to do things the right way - which would be restoring it back to OEM or OEM+ in this manner. Going to go full stainless with high-flow cats and a 3" diamater pipe if the boulder muffler owner thinks it will pass.

I left my camera at the office - that's why there haven't been any photos, but I will post some from the brick:

FIJMctT.jpg

iYqVzul.jpg

Almost got all the gaps filled:

kvZi2L7.jpg

Had a helper all weekend with the wife out of town

o4qnV92.jpg

cvXifXP.jpg

removing some more trim

IC0nPQh.jpg

DbbZ5KY.jpg

Labeling EVERYTHING! Super important as I will eventually bring these to the grinder/cleaner to try and recycle them before buying new ones:

lldXlJP.jpg

Plastidipped the hooks (added rubber to them):

wsVi7rN.jpg

Same with the rear seat-stays (idk what to call them but the metal on metal contact drives me nuts when driving) somehow don't have a picture of these.

Some big spacers you’ve got there... what are those 3/4 or 1”?
And you added the dynamat into the rear sides blocking any opening to get to the fuel fill etc?

Some big spacers you’ve got there... what are those 3/4 or 1”?
And you added the dynamat into the rear sides blocking any opening to get to the fuel fill etc?

they are 1" and they are temporary - waiting to have 12mm spacers that fit the hub arrive.

not sure what you are referencing, however i did cut around the perimeter of all holes/access points so that I still have access to everything. probably just can't see it on the photos.

Dropped the truck off at the local exhaust shop.

Entire exhaust is pretty much destroyed - headers are okay, but two new cats, O2 hangers, muffler hangers, all new piping, new muffler (going with a Magnaflow to get a little rumble back there). Will be done tomorrow, unfortunately a hefty cost - but one that I think will eliminate a lot of my problems by introducing the correct backflow and hopefully eliminating the CEL throw. Truck will be finished today and I'll post a video of the exhaust and photos with the new line.

bTFeaa1.jpg

Last edited:
Well the Radiator I ordered from Mishimoto has yet to ship (ordered on April 27th). Super disappointing, after much correspondence I have cancelled my order and am looking at other alternatives. I buy premium products for premium service and certainly wasn't receiving it.

Still need to update the thread with pictures from the new exhaust. The CEL is still on (need to reset that), however the rough idle continues - was hoping the addition of cats and O2 sensors would return the idle to the spec'd needs and solve it. Need to pull the codes from the CEL if it comes back after resetting it.

Correct me if I’m wrong but a rough idle occurs above the J pipe... typically at manifolds and up. 60 right?

Dropped off the truck at L1 Automotive in Loveland, CO for a look over. Hopefully solving the CEL and rough idle with them while it is there.

On Friday, the truck will go to Absolutely Creative Customs so we can develop an audio and plan for the interior together. If I get the truck back on Friday night/Saturday, I will put the new carpet down this weekend.

JR

DF6C47B1-BF7C-4181-BB42-3B84B67CCDBB.jpeg

Last edited:
Shop confirmed my suspicions that the truck is having a hard time getting into 2nd gear when cold .. pretty bummed.

The seller hasn't responded to any communication regarding sending me the past receipts and documents since I purchased the vehicle - not looking good there.

Pretty big bummer, transmission work is never inexpensive. Hoping L1 Automotive's experience with Cruisers will help me out here.

where did you attempt to purchase your radiator from?

Mishimoto direct — it was quite the bummer! They’ve always had stellar customer service, but gave me the ring-around for a week or so until I gave up 14 days after my order was placed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom