Block Heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
I am trying to install a block heater in a customers truck that is going to Montana. This is the freeze plug style that I received from a cruiser vendor but it does not fit. The bolt that comes with it hits the block when I try to tighten it up. I am using the freeze plug on the drivers side furthest towards the front between the front and the oil filter. I believe this to be the wrong part as my part shows #11414, the mfg is kat's but when I look at their catalog there is no application for a 1997 landcruiser.

Anyhoo, wondering if anyone has found a good source for freeze style heaters that seal and work well? I read a bunch of threads but have not been able to find anything definitive. I may just go to an oil pan heater element but wanted to try to install a cleaner freeze plug unit if I could find one.

If anyone has any interesting alternatives I would appreciate the help. More of my trucks are going to cold climates and I do not have lots of experience in this area as I live in sunny San Diego!

Thanks!

Noah

Last edited:
Hello, I have a block heater installed in that same frost plug on my unit (previous owner installed). I will take a look at it tonight for any ID markings and post a pic.

Just my two cents... I don't think a block heater is really needed for these trucks. I live in an area that gets really cold in the winter. Last winter we had at least 25 days where it got down to minus 30F or colder. My truck never had any trouble starting. I think a good battery is probably more important.

We had the best luck with the hose inline heater in a lower radiator hose or with the magnetic oil pan heater when I lived on the farm in NW Iowa.

The heaters may only last 3-5 years with regular use and need to be replaced. Much easier to replace in the other locations than a freeze plug.

My last 80 had the block heater installed in the rearmost freeze plug on the drivers side since it was new. I never saw the arctic temps you would think these are truly needed for, but anytime it was sub 20 out, I plugged it in. I can tell you the motor was much happier. It may not need it, but it was obviously more happy when starting. Having heat sooner was nice too. I have one in my parts box for this one I plan to install before winter hits, but am having a hard time finding the motivation as it is always garaged now.

I am pretty sure it was a 11414 Kat's block heater.

Last edited:
...on that note...

It was a constant -10F to -35F last winter here in MN for around 10 days (winter of 2018-2019).

I used the block heater and had a solar panel connected to the battery - the 226K Land Cruiser started like it was summer (kinda).

Last edited:
I also run 5W30 in the winter, but I don't have any oil consumption issues. That and an old fashioned high cold cranker battery seems to be fine for me.

I also spent a couple nights up north of Ely, MN last winter out in the Boundary Waters for a winter trip and we left the trucks sitting for two nights that got down to -45F without the wind. I just start it and let it warm up before I drive. I am sure I am wasting even more gas by doing it that way, but it is definitely happier when I do it. After that, I rarely shut it off unless I am parking it for the night.

My truck started fine when we skied out, but I had to jump the Ford and the Dodge products that the rest of the crew drove up.

Last edited:
I'm sure this pic won't help, but I promised :

20190717_200604.jpg

An inline heater tapped into the block drain as source in use a deep 14mm access through the rubber skirt DS . I opted for a long PHH and a Y fitting for convection of hot coolant into heater valve.
If you have access to a HDJ80/HDJ81 you will see how simple this install can be.
Beauty of thos system is a warm engine on the coldest days.
1500 watt make sure the heater controls are on defrost when plugged in.
This set up is on my FZJ80 and has been great. The kit includes the block drain adapter to 5/8 heater hose.

@1973Guppie,

Have you found a solution that is compatible?

I am trying to find a verified-compatible block heater part number but it appears the Toyota Canada branded part number is NLA, and I am stumped on what specific Kat's model might be a direct cross-reference. As you noted, their current catalog doesn't list a model for the FZJ80.

I received a block heater from a cruiser parts reseller and it does not fit. It is a Kat's brand and I was told by the vendor it would fit. After researching it online Kat's does not list a block freeze plug heater for the 1fz. I have not found a suitable replacement.

My last 80 had the block heater installed in the rearmost freeze plug on the drivers side since it was new. I never saw the arctic temps you would think these are truly needed for, but anytime it was sub 20 out, I plugged it in. I can tell you the motor was much happier. It may not need it, but it was obviously more happy when starting. Having heat sooner was nice too. I have one in my parts box for this one I plan to install before winter hits, but am having a hard time finding the motivation as it is always garaged now.

I am pretty sure it was a 11414 Kat's block heater.

I do have the 11414 block heater and I confirmed that is what was in my last 80 also. Based on that experience and a quick forum search using the 11414 part number it appears to work on the 1FZ, but the bolt may need trimming. I do know, that mine was in the rear most freeze plug spot on the drivers side though. Not up front like the OP.

There are multiple threads referencing the model the OP has, so I am just wondering if it should not go up front or it needs to have the bolt trimmed.

I do have the 11414 block heater and I confirmed that is what was in my last 80 also. Based on that experience and a quick forum search using the 11414 part number it appears to work on the 1FZ, but the bolt may need trimming. I do know, that mine was in the rear most freeze plug spot on the drivers side though. Not up front like the OP.

There are multiple threads referencing the model the OP has, so I am just wondering if it should not go up front or it needs to have the bolt trimmed.

maybe, I am unsure if the part I got was the right one, it looked different than many others I have seen, returned it

I purchased a block heater from cruiser parts to throw in when I did my head gasket. Pretty sure it was a Kat's brand. Couldn't get it to fit. Tried everything including trimming the screw and it kept popping out. Binned it and plugged the hole. Started everytime in -30 celcius this past winter. Would prefer a block heater but can't source one...

I purchased a block heater from cruiser parts to throw in when I did my head gasket. Pretty sure it was a Kat's brand. Couldn't get it to fit. Tried everything including trimming the screw and it kept popping out. Binned it and plugged the hole. Started everytime in -30 celcius this past winter. Would prefer a block heater but can't source one...

Good to know. I guess the hunt continues.

I was a big fan of freeze plug heaters, but the 400 watt one I had in my 2F took forever to heat the block. Since then, I have used the tank style heaters and am a fan of them. The check valve in them causes thermo-siphon action and pumps hot water through the engine. It also heats the carburetor and manifold first (because they are routed through heater core hoses), which helps with starting. With a freeze plug-style heater, those parts essentially get heated last, if at all.

If you do a Cummins 6BT swap, they all have them :rofl::rofl:

I was a big fan of freeze plug heaters, but the 400 watt one I had in my 2F took forever to heat the block. Since then, I have used the tank style heaters and am a fan of them. The check valve in them causes thermo-siphon action and pumps hot water through the engine. It also heats the carburetor and manifold first (because they are routed through heater core hoses), which helps with starting. With a freeze plug-style heater, those parts essentially get heated last, if at all.
I think that is the way that guys that drive TDI VW diesels do it up here. Makes sense and I have heard they are easy to install.

Bump...

I may be revisiting trying to install the 11414 Kat's block heater. Can anyone confirm if and/or which freeze plug location it goes into? Lots of talk on this, but no real conclusions searching the forum.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom