BlackBox-C Land Cruiser Planetary Underdrive (2 Viewers)

arnott1t

SILVER Star
The input swap was fairly straight forward. A few snap rings and a bolted seal retainer. a 1.5 banana job and less if you have excellent snap ring pliers. The install is complete. It went well. Trying to get the rest of the box together and start looking into shifters over the christmas break. I doubt I'll get any drive time on this thing in January even. I also sent a laundry list of suggested minor revisions to NWF to consider.

so what is the ETA on this for a awd transfer case from the fj/fzj80's ?? my 80 series 1fz is not doing to hot so this might be something in my immediate future.
Thanks

Phil

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
Thread bump @NorthWestFab how many LC units do you have out there? Can you give the overall length of a unit that would go between a Toyota H42 and a split case? I am planning a 4spd swap and would love for the overall length of the trans/black/box/ split case combo to come in very near the length of the stock A440/t-case combo.

Also, any real world feedback on them.

Thanks,

Matthew

TLC Norway

woodwelder
Well after getting all the parts for my install I was able to get the black box assembled on to the back of my H55f. Went pretty smoothly as I've had a bunch of dry runs. The one thing I missed was placing the oiler for the 5th gear synchro in the front adapter plate. So I'll practice one more time once I order that part. T case rebuild is en route and will let me get the entire thing together this weekend.

I won't be posting pics on MUD of the install details but you can get the details once I write something up for Toyota Trails!

Once that's done all you need is a TLCA membership to see all the gory details of the install. (like cutting your trans output)

If it was a perfect world I might have some drive time on it early next year but likely won't be able to wheel it for some time... :(

So this black box is installed between a H55 and late model split case. After working with NWF on it I think the next buyers will be all set with all the material needed for a flawless install.
Did you write something for TT?

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
Thread bump @NorthWestFab how many LC units do you have out there? Can you give the overall length of a unit that would go between a Toyota H42 and a split case? I am planning a 4spd swap and would love for the overall length of the trans/black/box/ split case combo to come in very near the length of the stock A440/t-case combo.

Also, any real world feedback on them.

Thanks,

Matthew

Matthew,

Not too many out there at this time haven't had any feedback from the ones that are out there not sure if they are installed and running or not.

Overall Added Length is 8-1/4" with the adapters for the transmission to the BlackBox plus the BlackBox itself.

Kris
NWF

cruisermatt

Un-manufacturable
SILVER Star
Should be just about as long, but you would have to use the short 80-84
4-speed that doesn't have the 5th-gear spacer like the later 4-speed.
This doesn't allow you to swap to a 5-speed later but an H41 would work and is the same without 5th, I'm assuming you don't care about overdrive in this truck?

arnott1t

SILVER Star
No trails article yet. Been distracted with so many other things but something someday will be coming. I don't have many miles on the box yet but the ones I have are excellent. Easy shifting, quiet and lovely gearing. Seems to be a great option. It does add some length and complication though. It's a toss up for between the flexibility of 2 cases and the simplicity of the advanced adapter gears.

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
We have a couple cases left on the shelf that can be built. Remember it doesn't have to be Land Cruiser to Land Cruiser. we can go LC Transmission to Domestic Transfer Case or Domestic Transmission to LC Split Case perfect for those LS Conversions using the GM Auto.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Hi all,

Hey Kris, any updates on the BlackBox for the older 16 spline H41/42 transmission?

Thanks,

Alan

Had a look at a 16 spline 4 Speed/T case combo we didn't know we had in the shop, it will work out OK. Mating to the 4speed transmission uses our existing adaptor, a new input for the BlackBox, and a different lower case half and output specific to the 16 spline cases, so keep an eye out for development there. We will not be supporting any 3 speed LC transmissions.

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
When you say the above, which of the following do you mean:
1) The new batch will have no spacer and be 5" long.
2) The new batch will have the spacer integrated and be 5 3/4" long.

In my case, I am using the automatic version of the split case.

The New Batch will have the spacer integrated into it. Overall Length for a BlackBox to Domestic Transmission to Split Case will be 5.675". To go Landcruiser Transmission to Split Case add 2.45".

Kris
NWF

We do not have an ETA of the FJ80 Series BlackBox Release, all we can say is that it is in the works.

Kris
NWF
Northwest

Kris,
I'm getting ready to do a 5.3 swap and not sure of the tranny behind it yet but I was wondering if y'all have decided to go anywhere with the Fj80 AWD Xfer and the Black box? I would like to use this and keep my AWD case vs buying an Atlas...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom