BlackBox-C Land Cruiser Planetary Underdrive (1 Viewer)

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
How is the onroad capabilities and noise of this?

I'm running an NP203 in my FJ55 that I've been thinking of getting rid of. Current drivetrain is LQ4 to NV4500(dodge 23 spline out/output housing) to NP203 to FJ62 19 spline transfercase.

On road is Fine, and noise is not noticable. The nice thing about planetaries is they run extremely quite. i would imagine your Transfer Case would make more noise.

The BlackBox will bolt directly up to the Dodge NV4500 and will fit up to the 19 Spline Split Case.

This BlackBox would be $1749 i currently have the parts in stock and could have one built in about a week.

Kris
NWF

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
Kris,
Thanks for the quick reply. One last dumb question. What is the typical weight of a blackbox? I know adapters will cause variations.

Hopefully a little better than the ~80-90lbs of the 203 reduction box:)

For the BlackBox to mate up to yours you are around 40-45 pounds

Kris
NWF

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
Theororeticaly if I had an h55f/Toybox/splitcase, I could put the black box between the Toybox and T-case right?

Thats a Tough One, do you know what kind of adapter you have to make the 2 mate up to each other. If i can see how they are mated i would be able to figure out how to do it.

Kris
NWF

Last edited:

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Hi all,

Thanks for responding Kris!

What would you need to R&D a BlackBox to fit the 16 spline (output) H41/42 transmission?

Would the output shaft of the transmission, and the input gear of the t-case be enough? Or do you need an actual H41/42 transmission with the 16 spline output shaft and a Land Cruiser one-piece transfer case with the 16 spline input gear?

I am interested in your project because I have been wanting to install a "doubler" in my FJ40 instead of a deep low range kit 'ala the Orion 4:1 t-case.

Regards,

Alan

Alan,

We had to start somewhere with the Land Cruiser BlackBox, at first we worked with the only Land Cruiser Shop around us and they suggested that we start with the Ultra Common 19 Spline. we are not opposed to branching out but to do so we need transmissions and transfer cases in hand to measuring and testing.

Kris
NWF

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
I'm fairly sure we have a 16spline trans in stock. Making a BlackBox lower case to fit the 16 spline split case likley offers less challenges than mating the blackbox to the transmission. The line is ever expanding, I would expect to see the 16 spline older split case and an 80 series solution in the coming future.

Josie'sLandCruiser

Stop calling it a "FJ."
Hi all,

Kris, thanks for the positive news! Looking forward to hearing more! :)

Regards,

Alan

I'm fairly sure we have a 16spline trans in stock. Making a BlackBox lower case to fit the 16 spline split case likley offers less challenges than mating the blackbox to the transmission. The line is ever expanding, I would expect to see the 16 spline older split case and an 80 series solution in the coming future.

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
Had a look at a 16 spline 4 Speed/T case combo we didn't know we had in the shop, it will work out OK. Mating to the 4speed transmission uses our existing adaptor, a new input for the BlackBox, and a different lower case half and output specific to the 16 spline cases, so keep an eye out for development there. We will not be supporting any 3 speed LC transmissions.

Sooner than I would of thought..:clap:

Booger Weldz

80 doubler(NWF black box) just got the thumbs up from them!! Freighting them parts next week for mockup. fxxx yeah!

Last edited:

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star
Subscribed! This is would be great if this will eventually be able to mate to an Orion T-case! Hello 22.5:1/61.3:1/90:1 and 245:1.

What is the overall length of the Black Box-C when set up to adapt to the H42 case and transfer?

NorthWestFab

Supporting Vendor
Subscribed! This is would be great if this will eventually be able to mate to an Orion T-case! Hello 22.5:1/61.3:1/90:1 and 245:1.

What is the overall length of the Black Box-C when set up to adapt to the H42 case and transfer?

Until we have the transmission and Transfer Case we cant say frosure exactly how long it will be. We are hoping to integrate it so for a 80 series Trans and T-case in the 7-7.5" Range.

arnott1t

SILVER Star
Well after getting all the parts for my install I was able to get the black box assembled on to the back of my H55f. Went pretty smoothly as I've had a bunch of dry runs. The one thing I missed was placing the oiler for the 5th gear synchro in the front adapter plate. So I'll practice one more time once I order that part. T case rebuild is en route and will let me get the entire thing together this weekend.

I won't be posting pics on MUD of the install details but you can get the details once I write something up for Toyota Trails!

Once that's done all you need is a TLCA membership to see all the gory details of the install. (like cutting your trans output)

If it was a perfect world I might have some drive time on it early next year but likely won't be able to wheel it for some time... :(

So this black box is installed between a H55 and late model split case. After working with NWF on it I think the next buyers will be all set with all the material needed for a flawless install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom