BJ42 electrical gremlins - turn signals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
I've had this truck for a while now and something very weird is going on. Has been happening since I bought it off the previous owner. Some times (unrelated to weather, time of day, temperature or alignment of the moon) the turn signals and the hazards stop working. I can try either one endlessly with no effect.
So I upgraded to LEDS all around and replaced the turn signal relay with a 24V LED one, hoping to fix it.
It's occasionally ongoing again.
Now the weird part:
So when the turn signals and the hazards are not working, if I turn on the headlights, and then turn on the windshield wipers, then the hazards on, they start to work. Sometimes I also have to run my finger over the fuses under the dash and then they start to work. By the way, the very top 2 fuses appear to be very hot, I don't have a cover for it so I don't know what they are for.
After I do this little ritual, sometimes the signal will work fine for days, even weeks, sometimes after 20 minutes they are not working again. Once ai perform the odd ritual of turning on the headlights, then the wipers for one rotation (or more), then the hazards (which they work then) and then I have turn signals back again.
WTF?!!!
Has anyone seen this? Can'T find anything on the search.
And it's a 1984 BJ42, 24VDC, Canadian diesel with a 3B (T) that's a bit modified here and there.

Thanks!
2017-07-24_06-04-43.jpg

I've had similar with tail lights, headlights, and parking lights. Juggle switch usually works. I have fiddled with fuse a few times like you have. This week I will be cleaning all the ground point to see if that helps.

Usually when I have strange turn signal issues they are related to the bullet style connectors just inside the front fenders. They tend to get dirty and might not make good contact and disrupt the path of current.

...check grounds ! and connectors like Rufus said..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom