Builds Billy's excellent FJ73-12HT - resto-modded - n that (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

updates? You dropped a bomb in the "what did you do to your 70 series today" whats going on with the cruiser?

Well, as I started pushing him a bit harder, I started chasing leaks (only running 9psi and wasn't over revving needlessly). The leaks just kept moving over a 3-4 month period. Once one was fixed, another appeared somewhere else, and as I had never rebuilt the engine, only replaced some gaskets etc I was getting more concerned as the leaks moved to the next weak point. My original plan was to just put the engine in unopened so I could get it on the road, registered and move house, knowing it was not going to cost me any more to rebuild the engine at that point or later.
BUT as time has gone on the lack of confidence in his reliability has ramped up in the back of my mind, diluting the fun and enjoyment. Although the prognosis is inconclusive on whether a rebuild is necessary, I felt I didn't come this far, do all that work and as a wise diesel mechanic who I know through Instagram said "If I don't rebuild,I'll never have a baseline to work from" and be confident to up the boost or add other improvements to performance.

The last leak was a leaking rear crankshaft and traces of coolant in the oil, by the time I removed what was needed to get at it all I decided WTF. I have no records of what maintenance was done by original owner, it came from a personal import 60 series farm truck. So hey, here I am....

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

I've removed the engine but still have some parts to pull, then engine goes in for:

Recondition cylinder head
Rebore and hone block Grind or polish crankshaft (which ever it requires)
Resize rods (if needed)
Deck block
Remove and refit new cam bearings
Assemble new pistons to con rods
Acid clean parts
Assemble long engine
Supply engine rebuild kit which includes Pistons Rings
Full gasket set Head bolts
Main bearings Con rod bearings
Cam bearings
Thrust washers
Water pump
Timing set

I'll send the injectors off to be reconditioned and have the pump bench tested, overhauled and dialled in to suit 15psi for now.

Oh and my passenger keeps complaining about how hot it gets without aircon so I've told her I'll buy a new fan for the aircon ;)
Gturbo grunter 14-28psi should keep her cool

IMG_0824.jpg

And some shots of me of my last trip. Camping and winch race spectating

P8140162.JPG

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

I also did some more aluminum work to the rear cargo area, along with some tie down points. Needs a few more nutserts but getting there.

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

That G-turbo!

Thats a bummer you have to pull it. I did a full rebuild on mine as well, I still had to retighten a few, overall pretty leak free but a few things I had to tighten up over time. Looking forward to watching your rebuild!

B686F0DB-78FF-4ED3-9F23-6C381BAB3C42.jpeg

Was hoping to reinstall the engine over the Xmas break, but it’s not looking good.
The engine is disassembled, the camshaft has been sent away for a regrind, the lifters and rockers are being refaced, the cylinder head, pump and injectors have been reconditioned. Also got these in the mail.
F63DC470-0CE0-434E-BA54-9617E8505F90.jpeg
591BBB61-0B1A-4D23-874B-8A0DD2735AB9.jpeg
F89099DF-BB18-45BE-BEC0-1501362B4D2B.jpeg

2D8D9CBA-A752-4C1B-95D8-2E8C2632648B.jpeg

I also got a bit restless waiting to get the cruiser on the road, so I thought why not get another 1980s six cylinder turbo diesel cruiser..
A bay cruiser that is. One more project won’t hurt, right?

CFD0F965-BA1E-4C4B-8C00-0096692DB138.jpeg

4842210F-A5F2-4DBB-AC48-26707440FA23.jpeg

B89C03D8-1760-492F-8131-3B3FA96DDE4A.jpeg

I was sitting on my veranda last Friday afternoon with a beer thinking she’s a ripper, I’ve never had a boat this big before
3E3FDC2B-F53A-4839-AFF3-B2715AAB1CEA.jpeg

Then this happened
1DAF9651-C991-4C8A-A4F4-2AA91DC9BBA3.jpeg

Now you’re making me nervous. I’ve got my GTurbo stopped at 20 psi on my 60.
It has been flawless, with everything thing I’ve done but rebuild the engine.
I‘d like it to give me more boost earlier in the RPM band, but I haven’t got anything to
compare it to. A bit frustrating. I’ve just noticed a small oil pan leak. Fully loaded with a
trailer loaded with 1500 kg of wet firewood it pulls strong.
I can’t imagine this engine in my BJ74. Which engine kit did you go with? Alphin pistons?
Sorry if I get the name wrong.

Which engine kit did you go with? Alphin pistons?

Hi Jon. My engine recon guy will be using some of engines Australia kit, genuine gaskets and alfin pistons. He was also looking into ARP studs, although they don’t make a kit he was hoping to match some individuals up.

Hi Jon. My engine recon guy will be using some of engines Australia kit, genuine gaskets and alfin pistons. He was also looking into ARP studs, although they don’t make a kit he was hoping to match some individuals up.

That is pretty much what my rebuild was. Engine australia kit, some genuine gaskets and alfin pistons. The intake/exhaust gaskets were crappy on the Engines Australia kit, the timing cover gasket didn't fit, year difference?? and the Cam bearings weren't right either, although the 14BT cam bearing set was the set that fit perfectly and I have no idea why. The kit also came with a standard composite head gasket, I went with MLS Toyota.

At 485,000kms due to a blown heater hose, overheat, headgasket fail and piston/score I fully rebuilt it.
Liners, pistons, all bearings/races, polish crank, grind cam, deck/shave block, set counter bore for liner protrusion, rebuild head, rebuilt Injector pump, injectors and rebuild turbo. It's a nice running 13BT aside from me being jealous you have a Gturbo!

Good luck, can't wait to see it back in action.

Slowly getting there. Had trouble getting ARP studs, so ordered genuine, only to have the last set taken a few hours before I ordered.
Should be here next week with head gasket.
I had to remove photo of car from my screen saver so I wasn’t reminded of what I’m missing.
Injectors and pump are done along with bottom end. I left my mechanic alone as I didn’t want to be that guy who turned up with a beer on a Friday saying “ I could have done it, but I just didn’t have the time”.
B69090AC-BD07-4CA0-AA3F-6618DC856CB6.jpeg

152B0ADE-21F7-44B3-A533-1C4CCD210B8C.jpeg

Slowly getting there. Had trouble getting ARP studs, so ordered genuine, only to have the last set taken a few hours before I ordered.
Should be here next week with head gasket.
I had to remove photo of car from my screen saver so I wasn’t reminded of what I’m missing.
Injectors and pump are done along with bottom end. I left my mechanic alone as I didn’t want to be that guy who turned up with a beer on a Friday saying “ I could have done it, but I just didn’t have the time”.

I‘m the guy that says you’re doing it cause I don‘t have a clue! Be nice to see it finished

Few more shed hours with my son
Throttle cable
Thermostat and housing
Fuel lines
Power steering
Cleaned hard piping faces, ready for gaskets.
Connected starter motor
098087FE-AD14-4791-A8B7-3FF107C44603.jpeg

99689B44-D271-4F83-8A6A-9D93CF5D66C1.jpeg

Last night worked on front clip. Hoping to get radiator in next without shroud and fan blades so I get get a guy around for spill test.

BB02B245-D07E-4E1D-B47D-7C4714C0C719.jpeg

C049C219-A5C7-49B3-ABED-79994EA25E77.jpeg

Bit more progress. A mechanic a few years ago obstructed a sensor plug with the vacuum reservoir tank. Even more annoying he drilled 2 new holes for the second fuel filter after specifically telling him before he started he must use factory holes and not drill into my car! Anyway I decided to make a bracket that used existing holes along with the 2 nutserts he added to hold both items and allow access to the sensor plug and hopefully not stand out too much. My son concentrated on the fuel system and a few other things so I can get my timing set next week. He also brought his grille, rotisserie and something to nibble on for our Sunday lunch. Such a good feeling messing around on cars with my son 😊
46037D38-FD37-4EF8-92DD-F5F8DFBD093C.jpeg

C3083119-93F7-40A4-AFD2-53911F85612E.jpeg

BC36CC32-1392-4AAB-95C0-F36A04A6F915.jpeg

B707CEB3-8773-4BCF-926D-135FF20B1FE6.jpeg

DA1853B8-0A2F-4E90-B22F-7E710D567B3B.jpeg

you need a bigger air intake ;) it will be noticable, I saw improvement when I installed a Airmax.

Yes, this is something I will look at a bit later when he’s back on the road. Aircon and roof rack/bar work will probably be my next big ticket items. Cheers 🍻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom