Big money for this one.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

c2dfj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.c2dusa.com
First off.. damn! That really is big money for an old truck. I feel like we all made a little money today ;)

But... for a $30,000 truck that underwent a frame-off restoration that included:

"...All body panels were painted separately and reassembled. A new factory-style interior was installed..."

Does ^that^ square with this:
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 3.20.56 PM.png

Admittedly, I'm new to the old Toyota trucks, but that interior doesn't seem to meet the claims... and definitely for the money they got. What I see:
- The inside of the driver's door - doesn't look like it was recently painted/assembled.
- Whatever that light tan thing is bolted to the center gauge console.
- Carpet looks like it was a universal fit - look at the seam in the passenger floor area; and the hack job around the center gauge console
- Shift knobs don't match
- Dash - is that a cover?

Don't get me wrong - that's a beautiful truck! But the inside doesn't seem to match the outside and well, everything else on the truck.

Oh, and no mention of miles. Is that a thing? Like, once you do X amount of work, you get to reset the clock?

Ha! This is funny... I was looking for more info on that truck - Googling Barrett-Jackson, 1983 Toyota Pickup, etc. and found this:
Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 3.39.30 PM.png

So, I guess that other one was a bargain... probably because the interior wasn't up to standard ;)

First off.. damn! That really is big money for an old truck. I feel like we all made a little money today ;)

But... for a $30,000 truck that underwent a frame-off restoration that included:

"...All body panels were painted separately and reassembled. A new factory-style interior was installed..."

View attachment 2185544

Admittedly, I'm new to the old Toyota trucks, but that interior doesn't seem to meet the claims... and definitely for the money they got. What I see:
- The inside of the driver's door - doesn't look like it was recently painted/assembled.
- Carpet looks like it was a universal fit - look at the seam in the passenger floor area; and the hack job around the center gauge console

Don't get me wrong - that's a beautiful truck! But the inside doesn't seem to match the outside and well, everything else on the truck.

Oh, and no mention of miles. Is that a thing? Like, once you do X amount of work, you get to reset the clock?

Ha! This is funny... I was looking for more info on that truck - Googling Barrett-Jackson, 1983 Toyota Pickup, etc. and found this:
View attachment 2185579

So, I guess that other one was a bargain... probably because the interior wasn't up to standard ;)

I kind of had a feeling where it was going when I read, "a new factory styled interior was installed". What does that even mean?

Funny enough, my Trekker has mismatched shift knobs so I'm guessing that must have been a thing because it seems like I have seen that elsewhere on the early trucks. I thought it was weird in a completely bone stock interior that someone would have changed out the knobs....but I don't think they did.

And the reason it didn't go for the 55k like the one from 2018....no stripes. We all know stripes double the price :)

I kind of had a feeling where it was going when I read, "a new factory styled interior was installed". What does that even mean?

Funny enough, my Trekker has mismatched shift knobs so I'm guessing that must have been a thing because it seems like I have seen that elsewhere on the early trucks. I thought it was weird in a completely bone stock interior that someone would have changed out the knobs....but I don't think they did.

And the reason it didn't go for the 55k like the one from 2018....no stripes. We all know stripes double the price :)

I'm not sure any of the early transfer case knobs were anything but black..could be wrong.

I saw that truck for sale somewhere before Barrett Jackson and wasn't very impressed. As noted above there are some issues - yet it still sold for big money.

It did make me feel even better about my carpet job ;) Now, I just need to order some stripes!

Anyone dumb enough to blow that money is welcome to that truck I guess. The best deals always come when I'm not looking for them. Let alone when everyone else is bidding up a potential purchase.

I just want to drive and wheel the trucks.

I'm not sure any of the early transfer case knobs were anything but black..could be wrong.

All t-case shifter knobs were black back then. I owned a few in the 80s before they needed to have any parts replaced.

Barrett Jackson does nothing good for car enthusiasts. There is so much hype over cars they sell that it inflates the value beyond what it should be for most cars. If you already own your fleet of collector cars, it’s great. If you are still shopping for something, they suck.

View attachment 2185544

View attachment 2185579

Your truck will be better than both of those when you're done. Shows the value of finding a proper pickup bed. I bet the moment you finish the flatbed a really nice pickup bed will pop up somewhere for $600.

Last edited:
All t-case shifter knobs were black back then. I owned a few in the 80s before they needed to have any parts replaced.

Barrett Jackson does nothing good for car enthusiasts. There is so much hype over cars they sell that it inflates the value beyond what it should be for most cars. If you already own your fleet of collector cars, it’s great. If you are still shopping for something, they suck.

Actually, Barrett Jackson is really good for the collector car community. Reason is they really measure popularity trends. I have a friend with a C-10 , 1966, restored restomod. This year they sold for a lot more money than he ever paid. And, a lot of Corvettes that used to be big money were selling way down. If you want a real bargain none of the auctions is the place to shop.

It's not Barrett Jackson, it's the buyers!! Years ago when stock markets crashed people were buying muscle cars which inflated costs on Chevy and Fords, Mopars didn't increase in value until years later. It's all trends. Back then an Fj40 or 79 Toyota 4x4 mini like I had weren't worth 💩. Now you can't touch them! By the way my truck was $7,300 brand new 😎😉😊.

Your truck will be better than both of those when you're done. Shows the value of finding a proper pickup bed. I bet the moment you finish the flatbed a really nice pickup bed will pop up somewhere for $600.
I'm envisioning having a pristine bed all body-shopped and painted - sitting on blocks... while I 'wheel and play around with the custom tube flatbed... then I'll swap them and sell that cool flatbed for huge money at Mecum ;)

The 83's are just a bit cooler - hard to quantify though. Oh, I did find a good piece of provenance - a bill of sale from a few years ago showing 43,000 miles. Low mile vehicles are always suspect... good to have a paper trail of support. You know, for when I head to Scottsdale or Vegas.

I'm torn on the auctions....always have been. It kills me to see $40-60k run-of-the-mill FJ40s as the norm.....but it's also good.....brings in new people to the community which in turn helps the community grow which leads to a stronger aftermarket to keep these things on the road(I'm biased as part of my business specializes in working on them). But then maybe it gets diluted when it becomes easy to restore something....like Mustangs/Camaros/30s Fords/Vettes which you can buy every single piece for. The whole game of searching, finding, restoring becomes different.....just becomes buying.

Actually, Barrett Jackson is really good for the collector car community. Reason is they really measure popularity trends. I have a friend with a C-10 , 1966, restored restomod. This year they sold for a lot more money than he ever paid. And, a lot of Corvettes that used to be big money were selling way down. If you want a real bargain none of the auctions is the place to shop.

You guys need to re-read what I said. Auctions are great IF YOU ALREADY OWN your classics. The frenzy and hype of BJ pushes values beyond where they would normally go. If you are trying to get INTO THE MARKET, it can be tougher as everybody thinks their bondo bucket should bring BJ prices.

I agree @joseywales! I would NOT want to be hunting for clean Pickup right now. But it’s nice to see these prices as I’m spending $$$ bringing mine back.

I agree @joseywales! I would NOT want to be hunting for clean Pickup right now. But it’s nice to see these prices as I’m spending $$$ bringing mine back.

100% in agreement. I’m very happy to have my 4Runner already. I found it relatively cheap, and luckily all mine needed was a few minor maintenance items like cluster lights and shifter bushings, and of course the rust repair in the rear wheel arches. I’m no stranger to the mig welder, and HVLP sprayer, so that stuff is easy for me. I bought for $2000 and have been offered $9000 for my rig. I’m not driving something nearly as perfect as your truck will be, but it’s good enough from 20 feet away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom