BFG 33x10.50x15 MT versus AT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven't driven MTs, but have run ATs on all of my Land Cruisers pretty much since day one (after the tires on the vehicle at the time of purchase were due for replacement). The ride is great on the street and the trails/routes I'm usually on when wheeling.

Haven't driven ATs... I love my MTs, but very little of my driving is on hardtop... When I do, there is quite a bit more tread noise than the tires I ran previously.

I think, if I were daily driving and primarily on hardtop, I would stay away from MTs... Others may/probably disagree.

Tom (@lostmarbles) has driven both and could provide great insight... He's not on here as much as before, but maybe his ears will perk up... Realize, noise doesn't resonate nearly as much in New Zealand, as it does here. ;)

I went from 35" KM2's to 35" KO2's and it was a HUGE difference. The KO2's are really quiet, we have them on our 4Runner too. They don't have the loud drone of the KM2's.

Hi all,

I have run both BFG AT and Mts on different vehicles. The MTs are an off-road tire, definitely inferior to the ATs on the street/highway.

The Mts will be louder and rougher riding on the pavement than the ATs. Also, the Mts will have worse performance on wet or icy pavement.

The MT tires are not terrible, but are designed to be used on soft, loose off-road surfaces.

I would not recommend MT tires to anyone not really four wheeling their vehicle.

Regards,

Alan

I personally LOVE the look of MT's on a forty, BUT put on the new AT K02's and they are awesome AND quiet. BTW most folks have told me the MT's really are not that loud until they begin to wear, then they get noisy. Quiet at first, noisier down the road...........

I have both and run both 40's regularly. If primarily on the road then AT's are the way to go. Mt's look tough (better) and aren't that loud but there is a noticeable difference. I have 3 sets of AT's and 1 set of MT's I would go with the AT if I had one 40 and was on the road primarily.

Agree with Shark and others that you should go with BFG ATs if mostly street use. I have BFG ATs on my 2013 4Runner Trail DD and they are great. I run the BFG 33x10.5 MTs on my FJ43, but that goes off road... The ATs are quieter and the new ones look more aggressive, so def the way to go

ATs are great off road for a lot of terrain. Most places I go off road are slickrock sandstone or packed dirt/rock, not much mud except after the occasional rainstorm, which unfortunately are few and far between nowadays. The ATs are especially nice on the sandstone in southern Utah.

All Terrain BFG all the way. Much quieter. Love the looks of the KM2's but hands down on a highway truck AT's

I like 33x10.5 MT on my 40 and 45, had AT before(on both), can't say I would go back. I also find MT are much easier to turn then AT, if you don't have PS

Up in the air on the 45lv once it gets lifted, but will probably do MT again, but with the old originaldrive train not sure I need the extra noise of the MT

I also think the MT fits the skinny wheels better than AT's

Did I also mention MT look better ;)

I do run BFG AT on the 60's and 100's

MTs will claw their way up steep loosish dirt hills (that you shouldn't really be driving on anyway) where ATs can slip & lose traction. MTs are great in the mud where ATs are almost worthless. Other than those two things, MT suck in every other category.

I have several sets of both. I agree with output shaft. My MT are mounted on wheels but in storage. Damn loud tire. KO2 quiet and smooth. Just put a set on my hundred series

love the K02 and they can take a pretty good trail run also
fj40hmtn.jpg

IMG_0940.JPG
I like both. Just got my 1st set of the M/T's and they're pretty sweet on my freshly powder coated wheels. Real smooth ride and not loud at all.

Come on.....you know the MT looks better on a 40 ;)

I was.amazed at how much easier the MT were to turn, compared to the 33x9.5 AT's I had, less tread contact area I guess

Never once regretted MT's on the 82 fj40.....and I drive that alot, mostly on paved roads.

[QUOTE="Output Shaft, post: 10916201, member: 98704" MT suck in every other category.[/QUOTE]

It's a 40, it's 35+ years old & already not quiet, your ears will NOT hear any noise diff between MT's & AT's...at least not with BFG's.

You absolutely can tell the noise and road manners difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom