Best shocks for an 80 after a Dino eats your roof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so I was in Washington in October and the u thinkable happened. I was mtn. Biking and my girlfriend drove the cruiser off a cliff and totaled it. Well I had dropped way too much money on it so I just cut the roof off with a sawzall and it still drives fine however....I had slee 4" springs and shocks it was beating me up hard so I switched to 2.5" springs with spacers and I have ome 4" springs. Anyone know where I can get shocks for a 4" lift that will be valved for a truck that weighs almost stock weight. Thanks so much and if u were wondering yes I like my cruiser now more than ever with no roof. Also if anyone was wondering-u may be able to drive your truck really too heavy but someone else may not. I had at least 400 lbs on the roof have had up towards 900 lbs before (2 tepees and gear for 5 people for a week. it is definately amazing what the trucks can handle but when it comes to safety it's not too safe to have over 200 lbs on the roof

IMG_3844.JPG

Probably the best post rollover outcome I've seen; I like how you just rolled with it and now have a convertible. If it were me I'd add a roll bar at minimum and probably some kind of cage.

At least your top heavy days are over!

Is the girlfriend ok?

Now that I got that out of the way, this looks pretty damn sweet! Maybe some sort of reinforcement for the windshield frame so it doesn't collapse. Roll cage with a bikini top would be sweet!

What Roof Top Tent you recommend?

Or add weight (dom tubing) back while also making it safer to wheel. Maybe won't need new shocks anymore.

Call up Icon or King, either of them can customize a set of shocks for you. Or, get a set of over the counter 2.5" CDCs from Icon and run them full soft. Though, I think spring weight will be more of a factor than compression/rebound damping.

I second the addition of a cage - or at least a roll hoop.

Well that's not something you see every day.
I have to say I appreciate the comments it was one of the most tragic things and look inside I had dual battery controllers seat heaters ect but it's really fun like this. I got an hdj81 now as well as this one so I kinda just use this one to drive the dogs around I would have to trailer it to wheel somewhere. Are there any cheaper options than the fox shocks and maybe things changed but I thought fox was only for 2" lift? Is it possible to make a cage that goes inside the vehicle or that's probably a lot more work/loss if interior space. Then if I cage it do I need to put in different seat belts.

IMG_3847.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

Is the girlfriend hot?

Now that I got that out of the way, this looks pretty damn sweet! Maybe some sort of reinforcement for the windshield frame so it doesn't collapse. Roll cage with a bikini top would be sweet!

FIFY

And ditch the flares too.

Quote by Jurassic cruiser, "it is definitely amazing what the trucks can handle, but when it comes to safety it's not too safe to have over 200 lbs on the roof" I know that hind sight is 20/20, but from a safety stand point, if you had looked at the label on a 80 series factory installed roof rack. It clearly states that the maximum allowable roof weight limit is 100 pounds, EVENLY distributed. When you add 37 inch tires, along with a 4 or 6 inch lift you've just changed the CG of your truck. Then you add a few hundred pounds of gear on the roof into the mix, you now have a truck that is that much easier to roll over if you get it into an off camber situation. It all comes down to basic physics, and geometry, so we all need to try to be safe out on the trail.

Last edited:
Is the girlfriend ok?

for the LC or the girlfriend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom