Best ride quality lift kit for 60/62? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for a suspension kit that best checks these boxes.

1. Comfortable ride. Obviously it's a 60 and will never ride as smooth as a 100, but man our 60 feels like a go-cart without any suspension haha.
  2. Lift of 2.5in to 3in. Or thereabouts.
  3. Cleanly fitting 33x10.5 tires for a just slightly modified look.
  4. Readily available/in stock so we can get it installed quickly.
  5. Can support a rear bumper with tire carrier, and front bumper with winch.

Would appreciate any recommendations of suspension kits with which you all have experience!
Random google pic for attention!

1985_toyota_land_cruiser_fj60_1543871001815a87f9421ca27dMVIMG_20181121_154627-940x635.jpg

Last edited:
I only have experience with Old Man Emu suspension. I’ve got Medium springs and have zero complaints. I would like to find out a little more info about your setup.

- Spring weight rating
- OME shackles and shocks?
- Tire pressure
- Condition of seats

Hey this an exciting purchase that will last along time.

It comes down to what are you going to use the cruiser for and what will it be loaded with.

I went for old man emu. 2.5" lift

34" ko2's

Medium springs upfront
Heavys at the back with an add a leaf.

Have a bull bar, winch up front
The rear has a steel bumper, tire carrier, and loaded with a drawer storage unit.

Also we carry a rtt.

The truck rides much better loaded.

I would be doing a lot of research on shocks too especially on a 60 with added weight of accessories. The ride from most of the leaf spring brands is going to be smooth if you get the proper load springs. Think like an old station wagon or Caddy, some body roll but smooth throughout. A good quality brand LT C rated tire helps the ride as opposed to something much stiffer. Look at the Ironman Pro shocks if you want something better than most shocks that come with the kits.

4wd1 out of Australia has the shocks. $800 roughly for front and rear set.

Last edited:
I've been satisfied with Old Man Emu and the quality of the ride. I'm on my second set of springs. Put about 250k miles on the first set and these were heavy front and rear. My 60 is about 1000 lbs over stock and this first set eventually began to sag. I replaced the springs in October and again went with OME, heavy. I first had OME shocks and no complaints with them. When they needed replacing I installed Bilsteins and these also deliver a good ride.

@cruiseroutfit is the place to go if you want OME. They can give guidance on what set up you need and give great service.

It’s more about the shocks than the springs. Pick the right springs for your load needs and then get a set of bilsteins.

Take a look at my post below if you want to know what I’ve got.

I’d probably guess that 60% or more of suspension refreshes on the 60 platform are Old Man Emu. Medium/Medium, Heavy/Heavy, Medium/Heavy, the options are there. Plenty of builds here on mud and my hometown cruiser shop use the OME setup.

That being said, other options are out there. Tough Dog from @TRAIL TAILOR and Dobinsons from @crikeymike. I follow @Willis on Instagram and Dobinsons suspensions are hot there at his shop lately.

I agree with the 80 series coils but was looking for a refresh that was bolt on and only took a weekend. I talked to Cruiser Outfitters on Tuesday and had everything in me garage by the weekend. They know the right questions to ask and know what you need. I have the heavy / heavy.

IMG_20200111_180041.jpg

I’d probably guess that 60% or more of suspension refreshes on the 60 platform are Old Man Emu. Medium/Medium, Heavy/Heavy, Medium/Heavy, the options are there. Plenty of builds here on mud and my hometown cruiser shop use the OME setup.

That being said, other options are out there. and Dobinsons from @crikeymike. I follow @Willis on Instagram and Dobinsons suspensions are hot there at his shop lately.
Only had positive feedback on this full suspension. Maybe one of the owners of it will chime in to give his 2c.

Love that kit TorFab is making for 80 suspension and axles under the 60. It may not qualify for our #4 checkbox, but we may have to use that kit on a future project.

I've been pondering just doing the fronts to start with....but I see saw on it because for the same money I can just put some new grocery getter springs in and probably be just as happy for my current use. But them coils sure are sexy.

That being said, other options are out there. Tough Dog from @TRAIL TAILOR and Dobinsons from @crikeymike. I follow @Willis on Instagram and Dobinsons suspensions are hot there at his shop lately.

True facts. We've been pushing Dobinson hard. Their stuff is made in Japan and I've had found their quality is better - shackles are thicker, stronger and have zerk fitting protection and their leafs don't start to pop after 5000 miles. They ride softer as well, it feels more progressive compared to OMEs stiffness.

(they are not paying to say this, I actually make a better markup selling OME. But I got sick of opening packages with completely wrong products - this happened twice this month with OME. A pack of shackles with nuts that had no threads, and two 60 series snorkels with 100% the wrong brackets included)

True facts. We've been pushing Dobinson hard. Their stuff is made in Japan and I've had found their quality is better - shackles are thicker, stronger and have zerk fitting protection and their leafs don't start to pop after 5000 miles. They ride softer as well, it feels more progressive compared to OMEs stiffness.

(they are not paying to say this, I actually make a better markup selling OME. But I got sick of opening packages with completely wrong products - this happened twice this month with OME. A pack of shackles with nuts that had no threads, and two 60 series snorkels with 100% the wrong brackets included)

Those threadless nuts sure do go on easy though

I do dislike my OME spring "pops" haha. This is really good info. Do you have an online store where I can check out the Dobinson kits you offer?

I do dislike my OME spring "pops" haha. This is really good info. Do you have an online store where I can check out the Dobinson kits you offer?

They just ship direct to us. We can drop ship to you, or if you have a shop just give them a call and they can probably help you out.

Their website is a little hard to use, but no more hard than OMEs actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom