Best phone mount and location GX 460 (10 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PXL_20220129_221907712.jpg

I just added a wireless charger (attached with VHB double sided tape) to my old RAM X Grip that's bolted to the grab handle. We'll see how it holds up. I ran a 12v socket up into the cavity below the speaker and there's plenty of room for the ridiculously oversized USB-C charger I already had on hand. Wiring is hidden behind the A pillar and speaker grill. I like having the phone in my line of sight for navigation. The obstruction hasn't been an issue, but I may opt for a longer extension b/t the X Grip and the grab handle. I like 12v sockets over a dedicated USB charger as it allows me to swap them as technology evolves. Since this is incredibly low power draw, I'm going to wire it to the existing 12v socket and add 1 or 2 for the rear seats when I have the console open to install my crawl control. I still need to refinish the radio bezel to remove the previous owner's mess of a phone mount.

@r2m, I have checked out your mount and that item is no longer available. But keeping the phone in place has not been an issue. I have wheeled my LX450 in places that will never be wheeled by my GX (and it has the battle scars to prove it ;) ) and my phone has never moved off the Scosche mag mount.

Reactions: r2m
Oh, I agree with you all. I am gonna just scrap it since there is no easy way to do this. I would buy another and just add a 12v plug under the dash but after having it in hand I don’t think it will hold up to off road use. The ball of the mount can’t be tightened enough to really keep it from moving and I do see a couple of reviews saying exactly this. I give up on this wireless charging stuff for how I want to do it. I’m just going to run a usb cable behind the dash and out by the steering wheel / start button and have to plug the phone in. At least I won’t have the cable running in front of the dash / radio area. I might run one to the passenger side of the dash as well and add another Scosche mag mount. I have a few sitting around.

If you have an iPhone with magsafe and a magsafe case, I can almost guarantee that your phone won't jettison when wheeling. Just buy this mount, put it where I put it in my earlier post, then buy the first party Apple Magsafe charger, remove the rubber from the front of the scosche mount, apply 3M double sided automotive adhesive to the metal plate with the magnets that is now exposed, and stick the magsafe puck to it. Run your magsafe charge cable through a seam, connect to one of these behind the dash. I know that's a bit pricier than the scosche mount, but I've had both and this setup is far superior. It's what I'm currently using and it's fantastic. One handed use every time, phone is in view without moving my head, and I can rotate my phone to landscape if I want to. I can post more pics of how mine is later today if you want.

The location I chose is nice because I can just scan my eyes to it without having to move my head. Much better than my previous looking down in the console area for it. I don’t necessarily want my navigation directly in front of me or in an area that I may drop or knock it into the drivers foot well.

I've gotten a phone mount but I don't like it very much because it's not flexible... it was expensive too, so I've been sad about it. I think I want to change it to RAM but I'm not sure what I need to order as it is confusing what I'm looking at or what I need to buy from the website. Does anyone have item name and photos I can use as a reference to see what I need to order? I think I want to put it in the middle so that I can also put some other attachments for gopro down the road...

I really like the Expedition Essentials.

Here in my build thread, post 467.
Just installed this with a ram mount. $131 awesome and now i am going to get a ram mount for a small tablet.

Does that cover the HVAC vents? It seems like it would from the photos...

Exactly. Which is why I did this.

Does that cover the HVAC vents? It seems like it would from the photos...
Depends on how you have your phone placed. Only blocks one of mine partially. I guess it doesnt bother me because I really dont get the appeal of air blowing directly in my face. I only need the cabin to either be warm or cool. There are a ton of vents in a GX.

I'm still unsure exactly what to order. I've checked out the descriptions and photos on their website as well as YT lol can anyone help me? I want to have a piece that is kind of metallic looking that hangs over the radio area that is boxy on top and you can place whatever mounts that are needed for both the phone and gopro. All helps appreciated.

I'm still unsure exactly what to order. I've checked out the descriptions and photos on their website as well as YT lol can anyone help me? I want to have a piece that is kind of metallic looking that hangs over the radio area that is boxy on top and you can place whatever mounts that are needed for both the phone and gopro. All helps appreciated.
Go to MrTorgue's thread, he has a really slick setup!
Go back up to his Post at #68. Should cover everything you're needing it to do.

Here’s what I did.

Ugh I’m still without my best solution. Mine rides in between the cup holders and front stash. I have two phones so it definitely compounds the issue 😑
I think when I get a new phone I’ll get one of those magnet/case combo deals.
My previous attempt is long gone
From hot weather.

Last edited:
Hey all,
I’m struggling to mount my phone in a good spot. Don’t see any flat spots for double sided tape. Help me out and post how you’re mounting your phone for the GX 460!

I use this mount (can be bought just about anywhere) Scosche MagicMOUNT Pro Magnetic Dash Mount - Black/Silver - https://www.target.com/p/scosche-magicmount-pro-magnetic-dash-mount-black-silver/-/A-52909876#lnk=sametab

I use this tape (after using about three other tapes that failed). Amazon product ASIN B07VNSXY31
and I have it on the angled section between the steering wheel and the vent.

Stick the supplied steel plate to your phone and you are in business.

I have enjoyed it so far.

IMG_8425.jpg

I use this mount (can be bought just about anywhere) Scosche MagicMOUNT Pro Magnetic Dash Mount - Black/Silver - https://www.target.com/p/scosche-magicmount-pro-magnetic-dash-mount-black-silver/-/A-52909876#lnk=sametab

I use this tape (after using about three other tapes that failed). Amazon product ASIN B07VNSXY31
and I have it on the angled section between the steering wheel and the vent.

Stick the supplied steel plate to your phone and you are in business.

I have enjoyed it so far.

View attachment 3449638
I've used that tape before and on really hot days, it will delaminate/undo. I use Velcro, then I can fine tune adjust to exactly where I want it. Or the 3M double sided tape used for wall mirrors.

I've used that tape before and on really hot days, it will delaminate/undo. I use Velcro, then I can fine tune adjust to exactly where I want it. Or the 3M double sided tape used for wall mirrors.
Well D***, guess I have that to look forward to.

I haven't had the best luck with 3M wall tape in the past (on other projects), might have to give it another shot.

I use a MagSafe charger in a ram mount. Wouldn’t hold off-road but I have a spider mount I can swap for that. For daily use, this is great. I like this location because wireless charging in Texas summers is tough but the vent keeps the phone cool.

TS8CYst.jpg

qDw3Aw4.jpg

I want to get this. No drill

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom