Best phone mount and location GX 460 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m gonna pickup a scosche mount today. I am unhappy with the cd location. Phone only fits in landscape mode due to the bulk of mount and my phone (iPhone XS max) and this isn’t practical. Has a clearance issue with the shifter. Also blocks the clock and is just generally in the way.

If this doesn’t suit my needs I’ll step up my game and go with the expedition mount 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m gonna pickup a scosche mount today. I am unhappy with the cd location. Phone only fits in landscape mode due to the bulk of mount and my phone (iPhone XS max) and this isn’t practical. Has a clearance issue with the shifter. Also blocks the clock and is just generally in the way.

If this doesn’t suit my needs I’ll step up my game and go with the expedition mount 🤷🏻‍♂️
So I bought the Scosche MagicMount Pro Charge 4 today and will put it in the same place I have just the scosche magnet mount now. It was $50 (go to the site and attempt to leave and they will flash a 15% coupon up to keep you from leaving ;) ) but I want to be able to charge it without having to plug it in every time. And this mount will allow me to charge my iPhone Xr. I will hardwire it in. We'll see how it works once it comes in.

Love my phone mount:
1642693836223.png

I have it double back taped to the CD slide-down face plate. We never use CD's any longer so I have my HAM and phone mounted there.
About the phone mount, it's really easy to mount and remove with one hand and does wireless charging. No wires to deal with. Nice for when we're just driving for adventures and using Google Maps on all the time wile also playing Pandora. This had been a great phone mount.
Right now it's not available on Amazon, but there are others like it:
Amazon product ASIN B07DZRPZQN

I just didn’t love how far that spot made me look to see navigation and the like.
Yep, as high and as straight ahead as possible to minimize eyes off the road.

So I bought the Scosche MagicMount Pro Charge 4 today and will put it in the same place I have just the scosche magnet mount now. It was $50 (go to the site and attempt to leave and they will flash a 15% coupon up to keep you from leaving ;) ) but I want to be able to charge it without having to plug it in every time. And this mount will allow me to charge my iPhone Xr. I will hardwire it in. We'll see how it works once it comes in.

How will did your old one stick to the textured dash? How about in the extreme heat of summer?

How will did your old one stick to the textured dash? How about in the extreme heat of summer?
It’s on the smooth part. I just remounted mine further up like theirs.
I have mine mounted on the smooth silver part. I have never had any luck mounting things to a textured dash.

I also got the Pro Charge 4 in a few days ago and I like the unit itself. It has a strong magnet and would be easy to use. However, it requires use of the scosche cigarette lighter adapter. The cable is hardwired into the charger and has a small round plug on the other end that plugs into the cig lighter adapter. I cut the plug off the end of the cable and tried to hardwire it. It has 2 wires in the cable so one to positive and one to negative, right? I can’t get the charger to activate no matter which way I hook up the wires. I’m kind of at a loss. Any suggestions from the group?

I have mine mounted on the smooth silver part. I have never had any luck mounting things to a textured dash.

I also got the Pro Charge 4 in a few days ago and I like the unit itself. It has a strong magnet and would be easy to use. However, it requires use of the scosche cigarette lighter adapter. The cable is hardwired into the charger and has a small round plug on the other end that plugs into the cig lighter adapter. I cut the plug off the end of the cable and tried to hardwire it. It has 2 wires in the cable so one to positive and one to negative, right? I can’t get the charger to activate no matter which way I hook up the wires. I’m kind of at a loss. Any suggestions from the group?
Are there components in the cigarette lighter adapter to convert the voltage from 12V to 5V?

I think there is usually a PCB with some electronics in those 12 VDC cigarette lighters adapters.
Crack open that plug and see what's in it.
You may have to hard wire via a socket to plug the 12 VDC into then the socket you can hard wire to your battery, fuse box, etc.
Something like this:
Amazon product ASIN B00G8WLW2Y

Are there components in the cigarette lighter adapter to convert the voltage from 12V to 5V?
No idea. I unfortunately tossed everything thinking it was going to be an easy enough job to hardwire once I saw it was only 2 wires. :meh:

I will have to see if I can find some specs on their site. I'm no electrician so if there is some voltage conversion in the adapter (which I have to assume there is), is there some way for me to wire that in now?

I'm not a "sparky" either, although I can get around a little with simpler electronics.
So what you've cut and pasted is basically saying that it takes 12 VDC/2.0 amps input from your car battery and converts it to 5 VDC/3 amps output into a USB C female socket.
So looking at that something like this should work:
Amazon product ASIN B07P663XJV

This stuff reads like Arabic to me. This is what it says on Scosche's site.......

View attachment 2911099
Most all phone chargers are 5V input, not 12V. But since this is a Qi charger, it could be all the way up to a 9V output it needs. The plug has the appropriate regulation and would have hard wired in with a little soldering too the board, but that’s not really optimal either.

yeah, someone more knowledgeable about the 15W Qi wireless charging requirements will have to chime in besides me, but it looks like you'll need something like Richard posted above, or maybe something that can handle higher wattage as linked below (thought 5V 3A output "should" handle the 15W charging rate?) . Plus a fuse that may be been included in the 12v adapter? Anyway, I'm a little confused about the 2.0V - 2.0A specification listed on yours, as to what that's for. So, uh, all-in-all, don't take my advice, I'm obviously still a little confused about what "exactly" you'll need.

Amazon product ASIN B00CE75K0W

I would personally scrap the scosche idea unless you can find the original cig lighter plug to add back in line. Otherwise you’re just spinning your wheels and spending more money. Just my .02.

Bang Bang, I have to agree with the last couple of posts, that it may be best to just cut your losses on what you have and get another and maybe do the socket to the battery type that I linked from Amazon..
Just another .02¢ :meh:

Oh, I agree with you all. I am gonna just scrap it since there is no easy way to do this. I would buy another and just add a 12v plug under the dash but after having it in hand I don’t think it will hold up to off road use. The ball of the mount can’t be tightened enough to really keep it from moving and I do see a couple of reviews saying exactly this. I give up on this wireless charging stuff for how I want to do it. I’m just going to run a usb cable behind the dash and out by the steering wheel / start button and have to plug the phone in. At least I won’t have the cable running in front of the dash / radio area. I might run one to the passenger side of the dash as well and add another Scosche mag mount. I have a few sitting around.

It's not a great picture, but I've been VERY pleased with this wireless mount. I removed the bracket on the back and used double backed tape. I have a very low profile 12 VDC plug that has dual USB plugs with a 12" USB cord from the 12 VDC to the phone mount. That way I can keep my ashtray cover closed and the cord is kept short.
In all but the very most bouncy off roading, I never lose my phone off this mount.
1643734705446.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom