Being efficient with mechanic work (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.birdothebird.com
Hi!

My FJ40 has a oil leak and I am told by my mechanic that my 73' FJ40 needs a rear main seal and that the transmission needs to come off.

My question is:

What are some non-expensive things I can do during this process? As in what gaskets, seals, etc, would be good to replace or what are some good things to check when the transmission is off?

I just wanna make sure I get as much done during this process since I've been quoted 5 to 6 hours of work at $150 an hour.

I am told the clutch is a good thing to change since it has to come off anyway, but I've had the clutch for less than 1 year and it still feels good.

I'd appreciate any input

Cheers!

You mightwant to tell everyone a bit more about your 40 (year, mileage, location, use, condition, etc.), so they can make a more informed assessment.
A couple of observations:
a) $150/hr! where do you live? Manhattan?
b) change a clutch that's less than year old?! Mine's nearly 40 years old and it's fine.
Mostly what bother's me is the diagnosis and the suggested remedy. At that price I hope you really trust him because oil can come out of various places, not just the rear main seal. Is it a lot of oil, like making a puddle on your driveway? Or is it just the occasional drip?

You mightwant to tell everyone a bit more about your 40 (year, mileage, location, use, condition, etc.), so they can make a more informed assessment.
b) change a clutch that's less than year old?! Mine's nearly 40 years old and it's fine.
Mostly what bother's me is the diagnosis and the suggested remedy. At that price I hope you really trust him because oil can come out of various places, not just the rear main seal. Is it a lot of oil, like making a puddle on your driveway? Or is it just the occasional drip?

Hi!
Sorry, I should've added more information. I have a 1973 FJ40, 110,000 miles, located in British Columbia, Canada, Used as a daily driver. It was mostly restored (mechanically) by the previous owner and I purchased it one year ago, so the clutch is 1 year old (12 thousand miles old)

As for the $150, forgot to mention that's Canadian, so about $110 USD.

The leak was making a small puddle, but mostly I think the oil was landing on something hot while driving and making smoke, I could smell it too.

I haven't noticed the smell or puddles lately, but I'm scared I'll forget about it and will drive my FJ with no oil in it.

A leaking rear main seal will drip down the rear of the bell housing and then drip on the floor. Nothing hot in that path to burn the oil off.

A Cruiser holds 8 qts so that's a whole lot of drips before you run low enough on oil to cause a problem. I've seen a Cruiser run when it was down at least 4 quarts.

If you aren't seeing drips from the bottom of the bell housing or inspection cover, your leak is likely elsewhere.

Hi!

My FJ40 has a oil leak and I am told by my mechanic that my 73' FJ40 needs a rear main seal and that the transmission needs to come off.

My question is:

What are some non-expensive things I can do during this process? As in what gaskets, seals, etc, would be good to replace or what are some good things to check when the transmission is off?

I just wanna make sure I get as much done during this process since I've been quoted 5 to 6 hours of work at $150 an hour.

I am told the clutch is a good thing to change since it has to come off anyway, but I've had the clutch for less than 1 year and it still feels good.

I'd appreciate any input

Cheers!

During your Rear Main OIL seal replacement Transmission Pull U will want to make sure u replace :

#25 Seal Ft out put shaft

#26 Gasket output shaft housing

#42 Crush ring gaskets x2

#56 gasket / crush ring

056A2.gif

This was just talked about a couple weeks ago, take a close look at the side cover plate, more then likely known for thinking you've got a rear main seal leaking

73 still has a remote oil filter, which sits...directly above the exhaust pipe! :hmm:

The pipe should have a stain where the oil is burning. Your mission is to find the stain.

Why?

Because the odds are better than average that your rear main seal is only as old as your clutch.

but mostly I think the oil was landing on something hot while driving and making smoke, I could smell it too

As mentioned, a rear main seal leak will not hit anything hot enough to burn oil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom