Builds Barn Find 1983 FJ45 Troopcarrier (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice job on the rims

Are you going to be making the clips? Or are these centers that are reused to make them 16" rims?

Looking great btw
Sneak peek it..

IMG_2242.JPG

It will be blasted and powdercoated and then riveted with these clips. This is a raw steel clip but final product will be phosphated like gun barrels. Its no good to paint over a clip when the rim is painted. The clips need to move and withstand rubbing of the cap. It painted over it will scratched off and rust

Here is the assembled radiator with a totally rebuilt a/c condenser. Oem or aftermarket are discontinued. I have creatively used the oem brackets/screws/etc from the original condenser and adjusted the mounting of this brand new universal
CN6287 Condenser 18'' x 14'' x 7/8'' It is said to be Parallel Flow to gain some better efficiency than the original direct flow condi. Its the same size so it fits perfectly and its within my restoration guidelines..

IMG_2392.JPG

IMG_2393.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2401.JPG

IMG_2403.JPG

Engine is getting ready for assembly at one of Perth's last mohican of old school machinist .. it has been lightly honed, balanced crank, new cam, new pistons, all oem gaskets, plugs, springs, lifters,valve job and total rebuilt head, new oil pan, etc.. soon in there. Cant wait!

IMG_2363.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG

IMG_2367.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

Huge THANKS to davework for his oem style metric fasteners. These are Japanese standards and the finished product is pure excellence! I used to clean up and galvanise my bolts and screws.. well .. not any more! Dave's range of selection from cadmium plated to SS should cover 90% of what I needed for my restoration. Except for some of the specialty engine bolts and electrical screws I found everything at Overland Metric. All my chassis and body fastenings are replaced. Amazing work,
Thank you again!

IMG_2571.JPG

IMG_2577.JPG

I'm also loving the attention to detail. Great to hear the hardware is meeting expectations!

I am diving into my hinges now as well. Did you get the stainless pins from SOR? Are you going to paint the pin head, or leave it exposed? Trying to decide on this myself and whether stainless pin would be worth it if I am just going to paint it.

I'm also loving the attention to detail. Great to hear the hardware is meeting expectations!

I am diving into my hinges now as well. Did you get the stainless pins from SOR? Are you going to paint the pin head, or leave it exposed? Trying to decide on this myself and whether stainless pin would be worth it if I am just going to paint it.
Your fasteners are not meeting, simply exceeding my very pedantic expectations .
I got the pins from Terrain Tamer. They are an Aussie brand and making a lot of aftermarket mechanical parts which I wasn't interested and this is the firs time I have ever tried their product. Its really nice and accurately made I couldn't criticise anything about it and the price was only $15 for a two pin and bushing kit.
I will probably leave the heads unpainted. Firstly to match my doors. I left the tub side of the door hinges on and did only remove the door sides, so those will be installed after paintworks done. Secondly, its not really easy to keep the paint on stainless and I'd be mad to see paint chipping. Btw, the brown stuff I put on rhe pins when pressed in is an anti-seize copper and graphite paste... recomended ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom