Barefoot Expedition Trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I started on the fenders today. Here are some pics of one of the frames roughly where it will be mounted.
image-2821505224.jpg
image-902550634.jpg
image-3334908549.jpg

A little more progress today...
I added the tub support for the fenders and put some cardboard on as a skin mockup. When the trailer is "done" those worn out stock MTRs will be swapped out for tires that match the jeep which are nearly 3" taller. The fenders will be bolted to the tub.
image-2264399817.jpg
image-1771598629.jpg
image-3386923405.jpg
image-817932726.jpg
image-2184594123.jpg

It's looking really good!

~Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

Great looking fenders. Are you going to fill in the bottoms on the back side? I actually like the look with it open in the mockup though.

Not that my .02 matters but the fenders made the whole trailer. Awesome build . Keep up the killer work.

Thanks gents, the trailer itself is my interpretation of a cross between rezarf's and the bantam t3 I used to own. The shape and placement of the fenders mirrors the rear fender flares on my Jeep.

In an unexpected twist the fenders have turned into the biggest pain of building the trailer as I was unable to make the bends I wanted without mangling the tubing, so I ended up farming out the bending to a local high end fab shop. They suggested and I agreed to using 1/8" tube, so they are heavy, but very strong.

I mounted one side, now I just need to skin it.
I had not planned to mounting cans here, but it would give me an easy way to mount 20 gallons.
image-1892811397.jpg
image-2133116033.jpg

Nice idea with the fuel cans.

~Daniel

These fenders continue to consume a tremendous amount of time. Today I filled a couple of the mounting holes I put in the wrong place earlier on, ground them flat and redrilled in the correct location. This allowed me to install the remaining nutserts (3/8-16 4 per side). Then I skinned one of the fenders w/ 14 ga sheet and mounted it. I still need to spend some quality time with a flap disk and the fender, but it is done enough to see that they should work the way I had hoped.
image-905315702.jpg
image-1822119294.jpg
image-2985513132.jpg

Really nice work on the fenders. I will be working on mine this weekend...

barefoot said:
Another day, another fender.

Very cool! Are you going to paint it, powder coat or?

~Daniel

It will probably have to be paint so I can use body filler in some places.

Today's project was making the tailgate latch mechanism. I installed a nutsert in the tailgate to accept a stainless steel spring plunger. I decided to weld the nutsert before collapsing it as it the force of the plunger's threads are opposite of what it would normally see Then I drilled a pocket in the trailer tub to accept the tip of the plunger. To make this (slam-able?) with one hand I added a ramp made of some scrap on to the back edge of the tub.
image-3628819470.jpg
image-1945675295.jpg
image-3093175633.jpg

This is a great build! Good job :cheers:

I removed the rtt so I can finish fabrication w/o getting it filthy (or lighting it on fire.) Once it was out of the way I built a mount for an offset umbrella I found severely discounted at the end of las summer. Then I went to work on the battery boxes, fuel can storage, and tongue box.
I decided I did not want the batteries enclosed with anything else so am going to mount them in cheap plastic boxes meant for boat batteries and in an attempt to keep a low center of gravity mount them as low as possible. I built trays out of angle iron and expanded metal to hold the bottoms of the boxes even with the bottom of the frame. Each tray mounts independently, but they are tied together by the fuel can mount which mounts to the top of both trays. I also picked up a plastic tongue box at tractor supply. Originally I had planned on building one out of steel but this was the perfect size/shape and I won't lose any sleep over this one being pelted with gravel where I think painted steel would be chipped and dented constantly.

Even though only the bottom of the fuel can rack is done, using the cheap red can pictured instead of Jerry cans is becoming more appealing all the time.
image-403234097.jpg
image-1819559654.jpg
image-1917831059.jpg
image-1251068035.jpg
image-3323031154.jpg
image-3879687560.jpg
image-4288365547.jpg
image-601207876.jpg
image-3964583770.jpg

That is a very nice build you have going! Half the fun is designing, and it looks like you have done great with that part...

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom