Barefoot Expedition Trailer Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice work!
:beer::D

Thanks for the kind words. I found the clamps at home depot. They are actually meant for building picture frames. They are very light duty(cheap) and really only worked well to hold pieces at 90*, not force them there.

I picked up the lights from eBay they are mil surplus. They came as an assembly w/ the old style housings which are only necessary for backwards compatibility w/ older MVs.

I really like the top hinged tail gate idea, thanks. I will have to see if I can make it work (space in the rear opening for struts will be the deciding factor)

As to budget, The main expenses so far...
Steel $700 ( includes material to be used in the lid/rack)
Axle $400 ( including spacers)
Wheels/ tires. $? (barter)

Last edited:
WOW awesome job .. Yes they are picture framing squares works great for 45's when welding , I have some also .. Nice led lights , I got some on my 416 trailer ..Nice job again on trailer:clap:

Thanks guys, I am between Cleveland and Blairsville GA.

Cool, I've got family in White county... I'll have to pop in sometime!

What a great design, You put some serious thought into you build and it shows. Anyone can build a box but with your angles it takes the trailer to a professional level. The flush mounted lights look great and are high and visible to tailgating drivers.

I like the slide out idea and may steal that one for my build.
matching wheels are nice so only one spare will be needed.

What is the decided paint color? Match the jeep? or a cool wrap?
Keep the build pictures posted.
You should be proud of the results.
Mark Harley

Nice build. You might want to consider using the drop-down tailgate to incorporate a stabilizer if you're going to go with a RTT.

A question for those of you with roof top tents...
Which side would you want the tent to open to? ( driver or passenger

I have not picked a paint color yet, but it will be something light.

Fabrication note:
I ordered the sheet metal sheared to size so the only cuts I have made to it were the angled cuts for the front face and the lower sides in the rear (made the cuts with an angle grinder) and trimming the tailgate skin ( made the cut with the band saw) all of the tubing cuts have been made with my second hand harbor freight metal cutting bandsaw.

Last edited:
Built a rack for the lid...
image-3006018228.jpg
image-2316316176.jpg

So which RTT did you get now? The trailer looks great.

The RTT is the Mombasa adventure "annex". I ordered the adventure 2 but they drop shipped the wrong tent. The annex model is an adventure 2 with covered entry. Not something I would have paid extra for, but a nice free upgrade.
image-2742843318.jpg
image-1337299547.jpg
image-1526959.jpg
image-2041737270.jpg

Final picture of the night, all packed away. I have decided when I disassemble / reassemble for paint I will be ditching the round cross bars on the rack. They add weight, height, and will not be able to serve their intended purpose ( carrying a bike/ kayak in addition to the tent)
image-3200978194.jpg

Looks really great. This making my decision on RTT's very difficult. Sure is nice to see them all for sure.
So when does that trailer get paint? Fenders? Did you hinge the tailgate at the bottom or did you get the upper hinge idea to work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom