Bait and Switch 94 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Opinion needed Gentleman. Proud owner 94 Triple Locked FZJ80. Had the vehicle one year and have done some significant work and additions. I bought the vehicle with 102K on the clock. My dumbass finally got around to getting the Carfax which states the vehicle had 306K in 2015. Vehicle runs great and I enjoy it immensely. I am entertaining obtaining a 96/97 with fewer miles and transplanting my armor to the new rig.
What say YOU?

Repairs done:
New (used) fuel tank
Power brake booster
New radiator/coolant flush
PHH
Replaced AC components (Compressor/Condensor/Dryer/Evaparator/recharge)
Restored Front seats/carpet/sound deadening
New radio/speakers/amp
ARB Front bumper
4x4 Labs rear
OME 2" lift
Roof rack delete
EGR Delete

Vehicle runs very well besides high RPM cold start.

Pending repairs - Oil leaks (Distributor o ring/Front Seal/Oil Cover O ring)
New plugs/wires
Heater hose replacement
Transfer case seals (slow leak)
Front axle rebuild
Diff service
Tranny service
New roof rack/snorkel/Paint job

If it runs and you enjoy it, might as well just suck it up and keep driving.

You're going to lose a lot of money if you sell (I'm guessing) because you paid a premium for the low miles and must now disclose to a buyer the actual mileage. You'll likely get more value out of just driving the wheels off it than selling and throwing down another big chunk of change for another low-mileage rig. Plus, since you've had it a while, you know it, what it needs, and where it's at maintenance wise. Assuming a lower mileage rig will need less maintenance is not a given. Most of the work you've already done, you would have to do again.

FWIW, mine has close to 330k and I would drive it anywhere.

Last edited:
Only if you like 96/97 features over the 94 otherwise i'd say there isn't any use in it. But that's just my Opinion. Mechanically you are going to run into the same stuff. Invest your money in a rebuild if the miles scare you.

has it given you any reason to think it's unreliable? not running very often or short trips on a low mile rig is't always the best for a vehicle either. just straight age general maintenance is a bigger factor on it's reliability than miles. Compression check maybe some valve seals and run with it. rebuilt when needed.

location location location is to realtors, as condition condition condition is to cars and reliability.

I mean I don't a low mile car that's never had an oil change. i'd rather take to high miles that's been given TLC.

Thanks gents. Appreciate the opinions. I love the truck, very reliable/drives well/shifts well/slow oil leaks.
Keeping her seems the best move. I enjoy the wrenching and garage time. Kind of like marriage, better the devil you know than the one you dont. Cheers!

Is there more than one entry on the Carfax indicating it had 300k miles? I ask as I recently had a friend go through hell because the DMV reported the wrong mileage due to a typo several years ago and he wasn’t aware until he went to trade in the car. Also, does/did the interior look like a vehicle with 100k miles or one with 300k?

Reactions: YMT
Is there more than one entry on the Carfax indicating it had 300k miles? I ask as I recently had a friend go through hell because the DMV reported the wrong mileage due to a typo several years ago and he wasn’t aware until he went to trade in the car. Also, does/did the interior look like a vehicle with 100k miles or one with 300k?

Usually interior is a good indicator - but there are exceptions. Here's mine last winter when it hit 300k.

One of my first moves was to gut the interior, carpet was trashed and seats torn in front. My guess is closer to 300 than 100 unfortunately. The Carfax has two entries with 305-306 so I suspect it is accurate.
As far as girlfriends with 10 priors, I would say I like my ladies to have some experience with the wrench before coming on board, i dont trust rookie mechanics.
Cheers!

Baseline it and enjoy it. Looks like a nice rig.

What about the mileage concerns you? The engine? The tranny? If it is buy the next engine or tranny that comes up for a good deal and take your time rebuilding/ freshening it up so you have a back up to swap in when needed. To me I love when I get asked “how many’s miles that thing got?” (Which is often) and I proudly say “290k and doing great.”

You might as well keep it till it needs a major repair and then decide if you want to move stuff over. I would not sink a lot more money into repairs but i would keep driving. Problem is that once you take your stuff off of it, the value is very little with a milage wrong 300k truck.

Did you buy it from a private seller or dealer? Although it's been a year, you may have some legal backing (I'm no lawyer) for odometer fraud.

Otherwise, it looks like a solid rig and like others have said, you know the vehicle. Unless you're set on switching model years, I'd suggest drive it and enjoy.

One of my first moves was to gut the interior, carpet was trashed and seats torn in front. My guess is closer to 300 than 100 unfortunately. The Carfax has two entries with 305-306 so I suspect it is accurate.
As far as girlfriends with 10 priors, I would say I like my ladies to have some experience with the wrench before coming on board, i dont trust rookie mechanics.
Cheers!

So it runs and drives good, and you looked into the past history way after you bought it, who cares just drive it, and quite whining :zilla::flipoff2:

My 95 had 140K on it when I bought it and as far as I can tell it's legit. I've still had to fix and replace all the usual stuff as others on here with a lot more miles. To me the time seems to do more than the miles on these trucks.

Did you buy it from a private seller or dealer? Although it's been a year, you may have some legal backing (I'm no lawyer) for odometer fraud.

Otherwise, it looks like a solid rig and like others have said, you know the vehicle. Unless you're set on switching model years, I'd suggest drive it and enjoy.
My thoughts exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom