Backup Cameras (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where's there's a will, there's a way. :)
View attachment 2336980

Lol.....I should have said.....my super modern, super awesome plastic Rav4 dash houses a 200mm wide head unit....so not a double DIN like the old fashioned metal dash holds. I had to get mine in Malaysia and that makes it pretty special :)

Those parking grid lines look like a rainbow.....hmmmmm.

What brand did you go with?

The truck had a Kenwood system installed by the previous owner so we kept it. As with everything associated with the "Ressurected" guys, the electrical part was a nightmare. Correcting their screw ups takes far more time than the installation itself.

The truck had a Kenwood system installed by the previous owner so we kept it. As with everything associated with the "Ressurected" guys, the electrical part was a nightmare. Correcting their screw ups takes far more time than the installation itself.

Such a fancy stereo and no door speaker pods. It's a travesty. 😭😭

Such a fancy stereo and no door speaker pods. It's a travesty. 😭😭
There are four speakers in that itty-bitty cab already. :)

Where did they put the second set....behind the seat?

I think I remember seeing those speakers up there when that truck was being built.

I just ordered this one: WIFI Reversing Camera

1275912473.jpg

Don't need the plate surround obviously but it seemed to fit the bill for something 12V powered & displays on an Android device. Cheap enough to give it a try. No doubt it's somewhere on Aliexpress for 1/10 of what I paid here in NZ :hillbilly: but my quick search didn't find much & international shipping is a bit of a gamble at present.

Cheers
Clint

Got this yesterday & powered it up for a test. Chinglish instructions & not many options or info on the F-car App that it uses, but, It actually works fairly well on the Android 4.4.4 tablet that I usually have dash mounted. On opening the app it connects to the camera automatically & quickly, then when the reverse light input is triggered & you are in a different app it will switch back to the camera automatically, then back again when out of reverse.

Unfortunately on my Android 10 phone it is quite slow to connect & will not switch over to the camera automatically when the reverse input is powered.

I have great spot for it on the side of my pole mounted reverse/work light. Just need to make a little mount & do some wiring. Been meaning to rewire the work light to the aux battery for a while anyway so will run an acc feed alongside that.

Cheers
Clint

I have a pioneer NEX4XXXX something with the Pioneer camera .. nice and easy setup.

Android auto and couple of more bits ..

20191203134247-30c571bf-me.jpg

Follow Up Question .......
I see that prices for the actual camera vary greatly. Is this a case where "you get what you pay for" and the more expensive cameras produce a better visual product?

Follow Up Question .......
I see that prices for the actual camera vary greatly. Is this a case where "you get what you pay for" and the more expensive cameras produce a better visual product?

A while back we installed a very high end Alpine(I think) camera on an 80....it had multiple angles of view....it was pretty amazing. This was 10 years ago.

I've got a good guy in the biz....I'll ask him what he thinks about quality of cameras. My Sony head unit has a pretty good pic. The Pioneer is a little washed out but I think I can adjust the picture quality on that one. Both run the same Amazon camera.

A while back we installed a very high end Alpine(I think) camera on an 80....it had multiple angles of view....it was pretty amazing. This was 10 years ago.

I've got a good guy in the biz....I'll ask him what he thinks about quality of cameras. My Sony head unit has a pretty good pic. The Pioneer is a little washed out but I think I can adjust the picture quality on that one. Both run the same Amazon camera.
My Tacoma has a fairly high end Toyota radio and the backup camera display is a 10/10. The one on the Ute, while more than adequate, is more like 7.5/10. I am hesitant to spend substantially more money on the camera unit without knowing if it makes a substantial difference.

My Tacoma has a fairly high end Toyota radio and the backup camera display is a 10/10. The one on the Ute, while more than adequate, is more like 7.5/10. I am hesitant to spend substantially more money on the camera unit without knowing if it makes a substantial difference.

The OEMs have it really dialed in....it's hard to find a bad one these days.

The OEMs have it really dialed in....it's hard to find a bad one these days.
Mine will more than serve the purpose. I'm spoiled and don't want to drive anything these days without a camera. :)

Just finished my radio and backup camera install.

IMG_4651.JPG
IMG_4662.JPG

Got these for $100, new, on eBay. Waterproof. Sound pretty good.

IMG_4649.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom