Back-End Sags w/ Heavy Tire Hanger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We just rebuilt a 1973 FJ40. Everything looks and runs great.

We just threw the Tire Hanger on it and it is quite heavy. It bolts directly to the bumper. Once we attach it and add the tire, the back end of the FJ sags a good bit.

Looking for remedies as I have never had this problem on my CJ8. I don't know if the leaf springs need to be reshaped, add another leaf spring or add a coil spring to the rear end.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
20231220_173120.jpg

I installed an add-a-leaf on the rear of mine, I'm sure I'm pushing more weight back there than you are. An extended shackle as well, but that's a common Skyjacker install.

I installed an add-a-leaf on the rear of mine, I'm sure I'm pushing more weight back there than you are. An extended shackle as well, but that's a common Skyjacker install.

I did both also; added a leaf in both rear spring packs, and longer shackles.

Hard to tell from the photo but am I seeing a muffler or a rear gas tank?

We haven't got a muffler on it yet, that'll be next week.

The gas tank is a Chevy S-10. THINK IT IS 21-22 gallon
Yeah, 20 gallons of fuel and a swing out tire carrier is a lot of weight! What suspension? Probably need to add-a-leaf like suggested. Or Old Man Emu heavies.

If you go the longer shackle way, it will not handle as properly as it should. Since it's a constant load with the
fuel tank you need to increase your rear spring pack payload. So everyone can correct me - usually longer springs
increase payload, shorter springs increase ride height in a general sense. So I would look at the springs you have and
adjust. One idea since I don't know what rear springs you have is swapping in 60 series rear into the rear. I took the rear
eye shackle mount rivets out, reversed it, bolted and welded and added 60's to the back on mine. It moves the axle
back 2" and fills the wheel opening a bit nicer but it increases the payload for sure.
Contact @SLOCRUISER and see if he still is selling his BOSS airbag on ebay. I have a set and have never looked back.
The combination of the two will allow your cruiser to sit perfectly, carry load properly and is an added bonus to
trailer use.
My 0.02
That is a very sweet looking cruiser and I'm not normally a fan of the new paints that is wicked cool!

PS turn your broom over so it sits on the handle, it will last longer. Yup, just a tad OCD

I have a set of Alcan springs with a 4 inch lift for the rear and 3 inch for the front. There is a section of 2 inch square tubing on the front end for the spring hanger from the shackle reversal I did when I was learning to weld in College.

When I ordered the springs we talked about weight, what the payload and winch and the R2.8 is lighter then the F series motors. We decided to go 200lbs or stock for both the front and rear.

I may get the rear axle back under and the put weight on it today depending how far I get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom